Rugby League as it is

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Rugby League as it is

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Maybe qualify that with I wouldn’t recommend super league - NRL I think still is a good watch but I don’t have a vested interest in any team there
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:01 pm Maybe qualify that with I wouldn’t recommend super league - NRL I think still is a good watch but I don’t have a vested interest in any team there
Neither do I. Just like to watch a good game of rugby league
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I feel bad for RL at times, usually after we have been tanked :(

The two Challenge Cup games have restored my faith this weekend, both excellent.

This is the first time for a while that I've had time to watch BBC build up and it was superb and really puts Sky to shame. BBC - good analysis, entertaining but above all positive towards the sport and the players. Sky, good analysis from John Wells, boring presentation and very negative all round. Bring back Stevo - at least he was positive about RL.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:01 pm Maybe qualify that with I wouldn’t recommend super league - NRL I think still is a good watch but I don’t have a vested interest in any team there
Yesterday morning put me off NRL. Storm match 78th minute their no 6 took a dive and figned a headshot. Got the pen. Nrl is becoming Oscar time the new directive is making the game non contact above the waist. Even arms low bouncing from the ball to the head is a sin bin. Shocking how the game is becoming a non contact sport
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

thegimble wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:15 pm
Yesterday morning put me off NRL. Storm match 78th minute their no 6 took a dive and figned a headshot. Got the pen. Nrl is becoming Oscar time the new directive is making the game non contact above the waist. Even arms low bouncing from the ball to the head is a sin bin. Shocking how the game is becoming a non contact sport
I agree gimble, the new rule is killing it over there…… too many players holding the head etc…… never been known before in the nrl…… my new nickname for parra is parra 6again eels, coz they play for the 6 again all the time
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:44 pm I feel bad for RL at times, usually after we have been tanked :(

The two Challenge Cup games have restored my faith this weekend, both excellent.

This is the first time for a while that I've had time to watch BBC build up and it was superb and really puts Sky to shame. BBC - good analysis, entertaining but above all positive towards the sport and the players. Sky, good analysis from John Wells, boring presentation and very negative all round. Bring back Stevo - at least he was positive about RL.

The 4 teams on show yesterday were a credit to RL but shows how dull and clueless Wigan are.Saints kick and chase is unbelievable the ball goes up in the air and there are least 5 players there waiting to catch/slip up.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Do you mean peachy who plays for Gold Coast faking the head shot?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I started watching Wigan when I was 12, and lived in Hindley. Moving to Yorkshire, aged 15, made me a more committed Wigan fan as I had to argue my case with all the Leeds/Bradford/Cas fans I knew.

I then had 2 lads, who I took to games from the age of 3. Regular drives over the Pennines on Sundays to watch the golden era teams of the 80s-90s.

Now they have jobs and family responsibilities, I go to most matches on my own. Stopped Friday trips as the M62 is horrendous. The move to the DW and the lack of atmosphere make me wonder why I keep up my twice a season trips.

Agree with what someone said about away games atmosphere: luckily I have Hud, Cas, Wakey, Leeds, Bradford all on my doorstep, and Hull is a much simpler trip than Wigan is for me.

But I think the crowd and feeling that it's an event (not "run with the bulls" razzamattazz, but proper atmosphere) has gone from the DW. Where's the equivalent of "Old Faithful" or "When the Saints" or "Marching on together"? The excitement of the crowd.

Is it because of ageing Wigan fans, or vice-versa...the fans are ageing because there's no atmosphere to attract young uns?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:20 pm
Do you mean peachy who plays for Gold Coast faking the head shot?
Not sure was late on. It was as if he had been hit by Morley.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I think the game has been sanitised its like going to a boxing match where they cannot hit the head of the opponent sorry but people go to see a boxer knocked out like it or not