Williams as it stands.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Williams as it stands.

Post by Wintergreen »

shawxshark wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:10 pm Sounds like George is playing us here,
Which I understand it’s a short career and he wants the best deal, but by sounds of it from my point of view, he seems keen to join Warrington over Wigan, and wants to use our offer to prompt Warrington into giving him same deal, I think if we both offered him the identical deals he would choose wire,

Club should just say, that’s the deal you’ve got until next week to make your mind up or we will look at other alternatives

Then we will end up with Ryan Brierley 🤣
I'll say it again, I don't think we should be throwing silly money at George. He will be a good player no doubt, but he's not essential. In a salary capped sport, we need to spend our money wisely.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:23 pm
shawxshark wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:10 pm Sounds like George is playing us here,
Which I understand it’s a short career and he wants the best deal, but by sounds of it from my point of view, he seems keen to join Warrington over Wigan, and wants to use our offer to prompt Warrington into giving him same deal, I think if we both offered him the identical deals he would choose wire,

Club should just say, that’s the deal you’ve got until next week to make your mind up or we will look at other alternatives

I'll say it again, I don't think we should be throwing silly money at George. He will be a good player no doubt, but he's not essential. In a salary capped sport, we need to spend our money wisely.
Wisely to me is having one of the best halves around (that realistically would play in the SL) only taking up £75K of your salary cap... Id be all in for him If I was in charge.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:28 pm

Wisely to me is having one of the best halves around (that realistically would play in the SL) only taking up £75K of your salary cap... Id be all in for him If I was in charge.
+1: we're losing 1 quality half in Hastings, need to replace like for like.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:40 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:20 am
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:07 am

Wigan are one of the clubs who have been offered him, I'm not sure if we are interested or not.
Richardson would be useful but would he improve us?
No.

We are trying to replace Hastings.
Hmm and possibly Leuluia, Josh Drinkwater is OOC with Catalan but might be costly.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

This is only important if we still spend up to the cap... Is that the plan?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Plays some games in the NRL and all of a sudden he has Yoda standard Jedi skills, :lol: :lol: :lol: , Some Wigan fans really do need to get their heads out of the cherry n white clouds

Watch him sign for Warrington then run around the pitch like a headless chicken, without the superior team around him he will be back to bog standard Georgey Boy, Save the money for some big barnstorming props & Centres and bring in that Richardson lad and let him create an outstanding partnership with Smith OR just go with Field and Smith :twisted:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:52 pm

Don't know pal, Williams is the best realistic half we can sign, why some folk seem to want us to avoid him is beyond me.

Yes there is better out there, but none that make more skill/financial/business sense to Wigan. as an overall package Williams is the best we can get.

We do need props but we also need to replace Hastings. I would not fancy going into next season with Smith & Richardson or Smith & Field. especially when you consider our forwards as it stands.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I'd love for us to sign Williams but the longer this drags on the more I'm convinced we're second choice behind Warrington,there comes a time we just accept it and move on
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:06 pm

Don't know pal, Williams is the best realistic half we can sign, why some folk seem to want us to avoid him is beyond me.

Yes there is better out there, but none that make more skill/financial/business sense to Wigan. as an overall package Williams is the best we can get.

We do need props but we also need to replace Hastings. I would not fancy going into next season with Smith & Richardson or Smith & Field. especially when you consider our forwards as it stands.
Not in this country there isn't.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Why not? IFL is a winner.