In a nutshell.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: In a nutshell.

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:15 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:10 pm Short career Josie, money talks. Wire is more attractive than Wigan anyway at the moment. We are like the Man Utd of Super League. Huge tradition and history, but heading in the wrong direction, Wire on the other hand are like City. big spenders to try and get the big trophy that alludes them.
Very true & it kills me to say it!
Ohhhh ohhhh Saints are Liverpool then. Bar injuries will do the treble this season. And players generally want to stay or go their.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Cheers for the info Dan

At last someone prepared to talk to fans even if you are not "official" :lol:

We could do a lot worse than get Danny Ward if we are looking at bargain basement recruits for the next few years

Ar least it puts to bed the rubbish we are recruiting for the reserves
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm I expected this, I'm surprised others didn't everyone has been hit by the pandemic and until fans are fully allowed back and the club can see what it's actual income is why would they do anything else.

I'd take this rather than in 3 years the club go bust because the can't afford to pay silly contracts.
That because you won't accept this is where the big wealthy owner comes in to fill the gap. An owner we do not have unlike at Wire.

The clubs income won't be raised dramatically by more fans returning because it's been true for years most of a clubs income comes from TV money and sponsorship. In Wire's case that sponsorship comes from the owner and his company.

The bottom line is (literally), IL is trying to run the club as a sustainable business and seems to have forgotten he owns a sports club which are the exact opposite of that (unless they are funded by external means such as a big TV deal as clubs in the NRL are).

If Dan is right then IL is not wealthy enough to see Wigan through the current situation while maintaining its position as a top club.

It's no use saying we can become one again as that assumes top players and coaches will want to join a club that has slipped down the pecking order. I think IL puts too much weight behind the Wigan name in terms of it's attraction. Even Mo Lindsay had to do a big sell to persuade John Monie to come here first time around but I have heard IL just thinks because it's Wigan people will come.
HDS

Post by HDS »

Satae and Sao would be great signings for us. They would add the go forward we have been lacking for some time now!!
How much would the young props improve with having two experienced good sized props sharing the arm wrestle with them, would take some of the pressure of Brad also.

Would also like to see Joe Shorrocks get a run out at hooker, it would give Sam Powell some much needed competition for the hooker position.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:55 pm
The plan is to spend big with a huge redevelopment of the squad under a massively trusted head coach :D
Well I am guessing that is Wane :roll: If true more proof those running the club can't recruit out of their narrow comfort zone.

I wonder what Lam makes if it all? Unless they sack him and put a caretaker in charge he's basically a fall guy given a rubbish squad while his successor will be given this hugely redeveloped squad.

This plan you speak of would put him between a rock and a hard place. Stick around to take the wage because otherwise he might be unemployed or walk before his reputation get trashed completely by taking Wigan backwards.

If he stays (and isn't sacked) then given there is no future for him here I am not sure how he is expected to inspire players to play for him.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:52 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm I expected this, I'm surprised others didn't everyone has been hit by the pandemic and until fans are fully allowed back and the club can see what it's actual income is why would they do anything else.

I'd take this rather than in 3 years the club go bust because the can't afford to pay silly contracts.
That because you won't accept this is where the big wealthy owner comes in to fill the gap. An owner we do not have unlike at Wire.

The clubs income won't be raised dramatically by more fans returning because it's been true for years most of a clubs income comes from TV money and sponsorship. In Wire's case that sponsorship comes from the owner and his company.

The bottom line is (literally), IL is trying to run the club as a sustainable business and seems to have forgotten he owns a sports club which are the exact opposite of that (unless they are funded by external means such as a big TV deal as clubs in the NRL are).

If Dan is right then IL is not wealthy enough to see Wigan through the current situation while maintaining its position as a top club.

It's no use saying we can become one again as that assumes top players and coaches will want to join a club that has slipped down the pecking order. I think IL puts too much weight behind the Wigan name in terms of it's attraction. Even Mo Lindsay had to do a big sell to persuade John Monie to come here first time around but I have heard IL just thinks because it's Wigan people will come.
In your very Anti IL view, though you seem to forget that last time owners splashed the cash the club went bust.

IL told you when he took over that wouldn't happen again and the club had to be sustainable.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Moran took over at Wire in 2003, according to Wikipedia. Just remind me, DaveO, what have they won in the last 18 years?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

HDS wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:30 pm Satae and Sao would be great signings for us. They would add the go forward we have been lacking for some time now!!
How much would the young props improve with having two experienced good sized props sharing the arm wrestle with them, would take some of the pressure of Brad also.

Would also like to see Joe Shorrocks get a run out at hooker, it would give Sam Powell some much needed competition for the hooker position.
No.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Moran took over at Wire in 2003, according to Wikipedia. Just remind me, DaveO, what have they won in the last 18 years?
What's that got to do with the price of fish? Completely separate argument.

You could draw the same comparison with Wigan and Leeds in the 1990's.
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Dan 2266 I think we all as fans appreciate your updates ,this one in particular has been very enlightening regarding the club's plans for the next few years,this is not meant as criticism towards you,far from it, but shouldn't it be the club who is keeping us informed? There seems to be a lack of trust bordering on contempt towards the fans on some occasions surely the fans would be more sympathetic towards any cut backs if they were treated as part of the club?