The injuries and suspensions aren’t to blame

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: The injuries and suspensions aren’t to blame

Post by DaveO »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:18 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:46 am As Barney said, Shaun Ainscough had an outstanding try scoring record at Wigan but I don't think many people are disappointed we let him leave. Had Thornley not been injured in 2014 maybe he'd never have left the club and opinion would be different. It was certainly the injury that cost him as he was a regular in 2013 and the start of 2014 but he only played 2 more games for us after returning from injury and Gelling and Sarginson had taken his place by the then.

The thing is we aren't signing 24 year old Thornley, with a good try scoring record. 30 tries in 45 appearances happened years ago. We're signing the Thornley whose last Super League rugby before this season was an uninspiring 2018 season with Catalans and who spent the last 3 years at Leigh not exactly making a name for himself and his performances this season have looked defensively suspect.

Hopefully he's just one of many struggling in a very weak Leigh side and the reason he didn't catch the eye in the two years prior was simply because no one was paying much attention to the Championship. Still, if he plays well in 2022 it doesn't matter what's gone before.
He went part time at leigh to retrain so when he retires he has a career, takes 5 seconds on Google to find that.

His stats at leigh are not bad not world beating bit not poor.

We can't make any comments on players at leigh this year with how Wigan have player, Gildarts stats for.example.will be inflated by 2 tries in 1 game but he was also poor in that game.

He may come and he may be rubbish but I'm atleast willing to give him a chance in a full time squad at wigan before I write him off.
I know full well he's a spark and to give him a chance or any other player, is all than can be done.
Some Wigan fans need to learn how to handle downs as well as ups!!!
We have to handle signing poor players when we are supposed to be the biggest team in RL? The list of novel excuses for the shambles that passes for recruitment at Wigan gets longer by the day.

Far too many seem ready to embrace mediocrity including unfortunately IL.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

We are supposed by who? Wigan have no divine right to be top of the tree; we are where, in an unparalleled difficult situation, with Covid still threatening fixtures, and, indeed, putting the World Cup at risk. Crowds are restricted, fans are cautious too. IL has kept the show on the road in choppy waters, and I trust him to continue.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote:We are supposed by who? Wigan have no divine right to be top of the tree; we are where, in an unparalleled difficult situation, with Covid still threatening fixtures, and, indeed, putting the World Cup at risk. Crowds are restricted, fans are cautious too. IL has kept the show on the road in choppy waters, and I trust him to continue.
You missed the sarcasm. Plenty of people claim this is the biggest and most famous club in RL. When did that stop?

As to the divine right thing. If I had a penny for every time someone came out with that phrase when someone complained we lost or whatever I’d be a rich man. It’s right up there with “who’s available?” when fans want a new coach or players as if they are in touch with agents themselves. In other words its not an argument because no one thinks it.

Now it’s Covid which obviously affects all clubs the same way.

The idea there is any excuse for recruiting players like Thornley is ridiculous. If this is the standard of player we are going to be recruiting IL has screwed up big time and it’s time people stopped thinking the sun shines out of his backside.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 am
moto748 wrote:We are supposed by who? Wigan have no divine right to be top of the tree; we are where, in an unparalleled difficult situation, with Covid still threatening fixtures, and, indeed, putting the World Cup at risk. Crowds are restricted, fans are cautious too. IL has kept the show on the road in choppy waters, and I trust him to continue.
You missed the sarcasm. Plenty of people claim this is the biggest and most famous club in RL. When did that stop?

As to the divine right thing. If I had a penny for every time someone came out with that phrase when someone complained we lost or whatever I’d be a rich man. It’s right up there with “who’s available?” when fans want a new coach or players as if they are in touch with agents themselves. In other words its not an argument because no one thinks it.

The idea there is any excuse for recruiting players like Thornley is ridiculous. If this is the standard of player we are going to be recruiting IL has screwed up big time and it’s time people stopped thinking the sun shines out of his backside.
You have no actual idea on if Thornley is going to be a bad signing (I'm not saying he is going to be a good signing)

Matty Smith was not the best player around but he did very well, first with green then with Williams, he was what our team needed to be well balanced.

And most of the post I see defending the club and IL are not to to say the sun shines out of his back side, but to try and put a different point across from the pure anti IL post(not directed at you inparticular ).

Most fans acknowledge its not perfect but there is mitigating factors this year. (I know you won't agree and would rather see major investment in team at a time when clubs have massively reduced income to work with.

Just as a general question.

If Thornley ends up being an astute signing and does well for us will you change your view?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:26 pm
Wandering Warrior wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:18 pm

He went part time at leigh to retrain so when he retires he has a career, takes 5 seconds on Google to find that.

His stats at leigh are not bad not world beating bit not poor.

We can't make any comments on players at leigh this year with how Wigan have player, Gildarts stats for.example.will be inflated by 2 tries in 1 game but he was also poor in that game.

He may come and he may be rubbish but I'm atleast willing to give him a chance in a full time squad at wigan before I write him off.
I know full well he's a spark and to give him a chance or any other player, is all than can be done.
Some Wigan fans need to learn how to handle downs as well as ups!!!
We have to handle signing poor players when we are supposed to be the biggest team in RL? The list of novel excuses for the shambles that passes for recruitment at Wigan gets longer by the day.

Far too many seem ready to embrace mediocrity including unfortunately IL.
I'm not prepared to have a good moan about something I have no control over.
I want the best for both my sporting teams and I learned hell of alot over what is worth moaning about over the past five years!
No team has a right to expect success on past glories or World trophy standings.
I do my bit and put my money in, some don't even do that yet want their expectations met!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:45 am

I'd settle for a penny for every time someone says "sack the coach" :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Here's tuppence