Wigan Warriors recruitment update as injury crisis worsens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors recruitment update as injury crisis worsens

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors have been constantly on the lookout for players.

Wigan Warriors head coach Adrian Lam will continue to scour the market for potential additions to a squad currently down to its bare bones.

Lam’s side was missing at least 10 players during last week’s defeat at Wakefield Trinity through injury, suspension and international call-ups.

Bevan French has returned home to Australia and will not play again this season due to a serious hamstring injury, while Jai Field is another long-term absentee.

With John Bateman (ankle) and Zak Hardaker (neck) joining the casualty list, Lam will again be forced to field a number of youngsters during Wednesday’s crunch home clash with Warrington Wolves.

Asked about recruitment mid-season, Lam said: “It's happening right across Super League - clubs looking to see where they can top up here and there - and we're certainly doing that as well.

“It just needs to be the right person and the right position I guess, so you can never say never.

We're obviously in a bit of a pickle at the moment, but we've just got to stick together and keep powering on.

“I'm sure a lot of clubs are in the same situation with the England game that went ahead last week.

We were down to our bare bones, so we just need to manage the process of the players who are coming off contract - players who are in negotiations and players who are leaving.

“That includes staff as well and all of it is part of a big bundle we have got to manage through this June/July part of the season.”

Wigan’s plans to recruit and retain players is complicated by the fact that Lam’s own future remains shrouded in huge uncertainty.

He added: “Obviously I'm only contracted until the end of the year.

As I have mentioned before, it's a difficult time of the season for every Super League club and for ours in particular at the moment.

“We have a lot of players we have to sort through and I'll get through that process.

“At the end of that, I'll sit down with the club at the back end of July, I would presume.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-20925999
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan Warriors recruitment update as injury crisis worsens

Post by Southern Softy »

We need to play the system. Castleford have managed to get their match against Saints postponed.
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

I think its actually been cancelled and saints have been given the win.
Champions St Helens have been awarded a 24-0 victory for Wednesday's match which was due to be a dress rehearsal for the Challenge Cup final on 17 July.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57638738
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:42 am We need to play the system. Castleford have managed to get their match against Saints postponed.
News about this is on the general forum 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
HDS

Post by HDS »

So not only have St. Helens been given the win against Castleford, they will be rested and chomping at the bit to play us on Sunday!
After we have staggered of the pitch after playing Warrington tomorrow!!!

You couldn't make this up !!!!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

With all this talk of a massive injury list and most the forwards having had a spell at centre, i can't beleive we havn't brought Hanky back. He must be better than losing Faz and Isa from the pack.

and he can kick goals so that's another thread covered.

I actually think he's better than Thornley too.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

TravellingWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:51 am I think its actually been cancelled and saints have been given the win.
Champions St Helens have been awarded a 24-0 victory for Wednesday's match which was due to be a dress rehearsal for the Challenge Cup final on 17 July.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57638738
Apologies - the bit about Saints being awarded the win was added after the original statement. Mind you ...24-0 .... might be better?
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

First Try Tickle wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:20 pm With all this talk of a massive injury list and most the forwards having had a spell at centre, i can't beleive we havn't brought Hanky back. He must be better than losing Faz and Isa from the pack.

and he can kick goals so that's another thread covered.

I actually think he's better than Thornley too.
Good shout - I’ve been wondering the same myself since Farrell & Isa have been picked there 👍
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Price paul would do a job at centre….. he runs out wide and has played there before…… he will be a handful there with smith n hastings passing from the halves….. put tommy bench hooker and let faz play left SR to run his lines off jacko….. hanley fullback n give the lad a chance at least
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

He might talk about recruiting but no one has been signed for this year. In the meantime he's bringing back players from loan apart from Hankinson. Hanks could fill the right centre slot and do the goalkicking as well. Something must have gone badly wrong with Hanks as Lam wouldn't play him last year and now when we are on our bare bones refuses to bring him back from London.

Whilst this nonsense continues there will be a continuing loss of confidence in our coach which shows no sign of being turned around.