Team to face St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Team to face St Helens

Post by southportcdm »

We were completely outplayed in the first half and only the awful weather kept the score close in the second. The lads were not lacking in effort but there was only one well coached side out there today. With all the rumours about having to save cash next season and re-setting for 2023 why would any top players sign for us and why wouldn't youngsters like KPP start to look elsewhere?
bertina

Post by bertina »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm I am trying to think of a new Head Coach who could bring a much improved defence, better discipline and a more positive attitude to the squad. Also players who would run their blood to water for the club and their new coach!
Names anyone, please?
Well said Ted. I’m not saying Lam is a good coach, but, is it his fault G Burgess was a disaster, Jai Field got injured in his first game, Gildart missed a chunk of the season, Bevan French is injured, Manfredi injured again.
Recruitment isn’t his fault either. He can only pick from what he has.
I don’t agree with some of his positional selections. Hastings at full back especially.
But as the old saying goes, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and the pool he has to pick from at the moment is simply not good enough no matter where he plays them.
Tommy is now a passenger, Powell for all his tackling is just way, way too slow at the PTB, and we are desperate for some prop forwards to help out the kids.
Does anybody really believe that any coach could be breaking any pots with what we have available at the moment.
I don’t.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:55 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:27 pm
moto748 wrote:It seems obvious enough to me; as josie says, the post implies Lam was coach 15 years ago.
It seems obvious to me Dan is saying in the last 15 years Wigan have only had a five match losing run twice.

As he then said Lam was coach both times they must have occurred in the last 3 years.

To find another five match losing sequence you need to go back 15 years.

(assuming his stats are correct)
Get it now when I looked up some results, in 2019 we lost 5 in a row under Lam 🥵 Phew

Think it was the way it was worded, but got there in the end 😂
The 15 years bit threw me 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

It’s fine! It’s all down to injuries and recruitment. (I agree, Out recruitment is poor and that includes players, scouts and head coach) anyway the best thing to do is to persist with the current tactics of not attacking at all and try to out muscle bigger teams 🥴. In fact the best thing to do, is to get reasonably near the opposition try line then run it on the 6th so we hand the ball over close to the line…….basically a try that!
The tactics are simply bewildering. It’s like Lam is trying to play an Aussie style game (think When Maguire arrived) but without the team to do it.
I’m disappointed…I guess you would assume, such a great attacking player would have some attacking mentality in his managing style.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

With a decent coach we would have beaten, Wakefield and Hull Kr. Yes we are struggling for personnel, but we had 11 players who played in the grand final available against Warrington and Saints and we were clueless. No other coach in super league would play Hastings at full back other than Lam. 4 out 5 games we have not even scored a point in the first half. Too many players playing out of position and that is solely down to Lam. We need a change before Huddersfield or that will be 6 losses in a row.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Mike wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 pm
w.thomas wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:40 pm The worse part of that was the fact that saints weren’t even good, we gave them every point in that first half through errors or bad D. I’m not going to rant or we would be here all night. The folk that keep finding positives in such dire results though are getting me down, give it a rest please, the worlds not made out of unicorns and candy floss.
Much better than a 24-0 default, and it could have been 24-14 if we'd taken all our pens under the sticks! The future is bright!
Jesus Mike, get some of that positivity drugs in my pipe and let me smoke it. Might even like the mrs after that
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 pm I am trying to think of a new Head Coach who could bring a much improved defence, better discipline and a more positive attitude to the squad. Also players who would run their blood to water for the club and their new coach!
Names anyone, please?
Well said Ted. I’m not saying Lam is a good coach, but, is it his fault G Burgess was a disaster, Jai Field got injured in his first game, Gildart missed a chunk of the season, Bevan French is injured, Manfredi injured again.
I don’t agree with some of his positional selections. Hastings at full back especially.
But as the old saying goes, you can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and the pool he has to pick from at the moment is simply not good enough no matter where he plays them.
Tommy is now a passenger, Powell for all his tackling is just way, way too slow at the PTB, and we are desperate for some prop forwards to help out the kids.
Does anybody really believe that any coach could be breaking any pots with what we have available at the moment.
I don’t.
Lam is also a product of the poor recruitment.

Even before the suspensions he clearly had no idea with his five minutes from the end of the match substitutions and what not.

We are still suffering from the consequences of the Edwards fiasco. Lam should not be here.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

bertina wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:10 pm
Names anyone, please?
I don’t.
Injuries have nothing to do with the basics that we can't do as a team, that is bad coaching. We don't support, it's one man drives and if someone does offload half the time they players stop moving in confusion.

We need to be backing each other up and running some lines.

I'm not saying Wane is the best coach in going but we battered Leeds at magic weekend with a similarly depleted team, I can't see Lams wigan doing that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:46 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:17 pm No way is that a sin bin for KPP
Even Sam Tomkins said the same!
Watch the tackle in real time, there is no way KPP can pull out.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:49 pm Tell you what if those defenders from Saints can take Gilly 20 bloody yards & over the dead ball line here, he’s gonna struggle with the size of some them Aussies!
He needs to run straight not across the field. Mind you Nakinoonoo was yards offside.