If Lam leaves

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: If Lam leaves

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:53 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:44 am
Mike wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:26 am Watson's not doing great at HUdds.
It's interesting though.

Salford have been awful since he left but he hasn't improved hudds. I wonder what to combination that made him do well at Salford was
Jacko?
I do think Watson perhaps underestimated the size of the job at Huddersfield that’s a complete rebuild from the ground up it seems to me at least,as for his time at Salford I just think Hastings was the catalyst all the parts were there he brought it together don’t forget that steamy Sunday back in 2017 Watson had led Salford to the challenge cup semi final long before Hastings came along.

Watson is too good a coach for me he will turn it round at Huddersfield it’ll just take time that’s all.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Nearly the same task if he was at Wigan complete rebuild
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:47 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:53 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:44 am

It's interesting though.

Salford have been awful since he left but he hasn't improved hudds. I wonder what to combination that made him do well at Salford was
Jacko?
I do think Watson perhaps underestimated the size of the job at Huddersfield that’s a complete rebuild from the ground up it seems to me at least,as for his time at Salford I just think Hastings was the catalyst all the parts were there he brought it together don’t forget that steamy Sunday back in 2017 Watson had led Salford to the challenge cup semi final long before Hastings came along.

Watson is too good a coach for me he will turn it round at Huddersfield it’ll just take time that’s all.
I agree, Huddersfield just have to be patient.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pearsy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:22 pm Nearly the same task if he was at Wigan complete rebuild
Yup I agree
Daftlad123

Post by Daftlad123 »

It’s slightly irrelevant who IL hires if he sacks Lam, the playing squad isn’t good enough. Way to many forwards from the same mold, no variation. Aggression as it’s place but not to the point of skill and tactics, we look clueless at times.
We give penalty after penalty away, sometimes whilst in possession, criminal, a total rethink of recruitment is required.
Wes

Post by Wes »

What’s Iestyn Harris up to these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:55 pm I have no idea because like most fans I am not privy to who might be available. I could have a wish list but it would be meaningless.

Trouble is I am not sure IL is privy to who might be available either hence the jobs for boys mentality. I obviously have no factual basis for this opinion but it just illustrates my complete loss of faith in him as the right person to lead our club. I would be astonished if he brought in what we might consider would be a top class coach from Australia or even someone like Madge who was a long standing assistant to a top coach when he came over.
Doesn’t always work out though does it as Lam isnt turning out as well as we hoped he would
I don’t see the connection. Lam has never been a top class coach and his NRL credentials don’t compare to someone like Madge. He went to St. George as assistant coach in 2009 but by 2010 he’d gone backwards and was coaching the under 20’s!

Lam was a stop gap. There was nothing positive about him being given the job after his first season as in he was THE target Wigan wanted to land. He wasn’t. He was however the convenient, easy and probably cheap option. And it shows.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:55 pm I have no idea because like most fans I am not privy to who might be available. I could have a wish list but it would be meaningless.

Trouble is I am not sure IL is privy to who might be available either hence the jobs for boys mentality. I obviously have no factual basis for this opinion but it just illustrates my complete loss of faith in him as the right person to lead our club. I would be astonished if he brought in what we might consider would be a top class coach from Australia or even someone like Madge who was a long standing assistant to a top coach when he came over.
I don't say this as a dig but your posts would suggest you haven't had and Belief in IL from when Wane took over maybe earlier?

Who would realistically take over though? Salford got handed to the fans when I probably needs an owner.

HKR are after a new owner.

Didn't the Wakefield owner leave/look at leaving a couple of years ago?

We havent heard anything from this other billionaire share holder so I imagine it was more to do with the stadium bid than wigan warriors.
When IL took over I posted here and on RLfans a few words of caution primarily based on the fact he wasn’t as well off as many at the time were making out. I felt at the time he would not be stumping up any £500k transfer fees if required.

I also felt he was put on a pedestal simple because he wasn’t Maurice Lindsay or Dave Whelan. I tend to be very sceptical when I see stuff like that and I didn’t see how getting rid of them and replacing them with an owner who had at the time over 90% of the shares was something to shout about. It assumed just because he wasn’t ML or DW having the club owned by one man and therefore relying on one man could be ignored.

He’s obviously put money into the club but there have been quite a few cock ups directly attributable to him over the years. Had we had a “gang of four” like we did when ML was first chairman maybe at least some of those mistakes could have been averted.

Things like keeping Noble and Wane for too long, singing players like Andy Powell. The patronising and mistaken position of saying we have first refusal on players lost to the NRL. Taking them back whether we needed them or not even if injured (in my opinion to prove a point). The astonishing pubic way he got rid of Sam Tomkins by trying to make out he should have taken a pay cut on a contract he, IL, agreed with the player because he’d been injured and so had not delivered while at the same time persisting with Manfredi. The mystifying forced exit of Micky Mac and then giving contracts to players clearly past it and the crap recruitment. All this culminating in the Edwards saga landing us with Lam as a coach following the Burgess recruitment.

If ML had done half of these things he’d have been lynched.

I have no more idea of who would take Wigan on any more than I have the name of the new coach but IL can’t go on forever and if the club remains in the majority private ownership of IL’s family (which I think is the default position) I can’t say I am optimistic about that.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 am
fozzieskem wrote:

Doesn’t always work out though does it as Lam isnt turning out as well as we hoped he would
I don’t see the connection. Lam has never been a top class coach and his NRL credentials don’t compare to someone like Madge. He went to St. George as assistant coach in 2009 but by 2010 he’d gone backwards and was coaching the under 20’s!

Lam was a stop gap. There was nothing positive about him being given the job after his first season as in he was THE target Wigan wanted to land. He wasn’t. He was however the convenient, easy and probably cheap option. And it shows.
Ive said,from the day Edwards was announced what was Lam doing coming from a year,so while many on here thought that was a brilliant idea,it wasn’t and isn’t even now,Lam has been a disaster but Edwards coming would have been far worse in my eyes it’s time to look for and at an English coach unless they can come back with Holbrook of course as most NRL assistants don’t work out for the most part,Madge and Holbrook are exceptions as they’re coaches who change clubs and that’s what’s needed at Wigan,like it or not Lenegan went to the NRL for Lam and it hasn’t worked out for Wigan and as I’m of the view it should alternate between English and Australian for me it’s time for English coach.

I don’t and never have believed the hype of every NRL assistant is gold most are not Holbrook and Madge are exceptions to that rule,and I don’t count Woolf either I could have taken over that side Holbrook left and carried on winning but look at them now yes they’re winning but they are awful to watch.

But if the rumours are to be believed it will be an returning coach to Wigan who knows but this can’t carry on
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:47 am
DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 am
fozzieskem wrote: Doesn’t always work out though does it as Lam isnt turning out as well as we hoped he would

Ive said,from the day Edwards was announced what was Lam doing coming from a year,so while many on here thought that was a brilliant idea,it wasn’t and isn’t even now,Lam has been a disaster but Edwards coming would have been far worse in my eyes it’s time to look for and at an English coach unless they can come back with Holbrook of course as most NRL assistants don’t work out for the most part,Madge and Holbrook are exceptions as they’re coaches who change clubs and that’s what’s needed at Wigan,like it or not Lenegan went to the NRL for Lam and it hasn’t worked out for Wigan and as I’m of the view it should alternate between English and Australian for me it’s time for English coach.

I don’t and never have believed the hype of every NRL assistant is gold most are not Holbrook and Madge are exceptions to that rule,and I don’t count Woolf either I could have taken over that side Holbrook left and carried on winning but look at them now yes they’re winning but they are awful to watch.

But if the rumours are to be believed it will be an returning coach to Wigan who knows but this can’t carry on
Saints under Woolf are not as good as their fans want you to believe, the lose Walmsley and suddenly they lose go forward, its a sad state of affairs that they look a world ahead of us playing wise.

I next part isn't in reply to you.

I don't think it's a team issue, yes we have quite a few areas that could do with some recruitment but I 100% believe a better coach would have us competing still if they had come in at the start of the season.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.