'No wonder we're losing fans' - Super League stars express disgust at controversial sin bin

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

'No wonder we're losing fans' - Super League stars express disgust at controversial sin bin

Post by josie andrews »

Players were outraged at the yellow card received by Kai Pearce-Paul.

Super League players took to Twitter last night to express their outrage at the yellow card handed out to Kai Pearce-Paul during Wigan Warriors’ derby defeat against St Helens.

The highly-regarded second-rower was sin binned by referee James Child just before half-time, seeing yellow for a late and reckless challenge on Lachlan Coote.

A number of players watching the game live on Sky Sports appeared vehemently opposed to the decision, claiming it was very harsh, and made their feelings known on social media.

Leeds Rhinos captain Luke Gale tweeted: “Put the whistle away” while Wigan full-back Zak Hardaker, who missed the match through injury, posted on his official Twitter account: “Absolute joke!”

Wigan forward Morgan Smithies, who was also sidelined due to injury, tweeted: “Yellow card for that” accompanied by three emojis of a man doing a face palm.

Castleford Tigers half-back Jake Trueman went even further, saying: “Games gone if that’s a yellow, no wonder we’re losing fans.”

Sam Tomkins, formerly of Wigan of course and now of Catalans Dragons, was no less stunned by Child’s decision.

The England star tweeted: “10 minutes in the bin for that???

Where is our game going? I was thinking it would be harsh to be a penalty”.

The game marked a fifth straight defeat for Wigan - their worst run in Super League since 2006.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-20977219
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: 'No wonder we're losing fans' - Super League stars express disgust at controversial sin bin

Post by Caboosegg »

Nice of the MEN to get a list of names for the RFL to fine.

Cant question refs and all that.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: 'No wonder we're losing fans' - Super League stars express disgust at controversial sin bin

Post by Mike »

I bet they all moderated their opinions a bit when they saw the last replay. I know I did. Looked absolutely fine from all angles except the last where you could see it was a shoulder charge.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike.Thorley

Post by Mike.Thorley »

In reference to KPP sin binning , when asked the reason for the binning, Childs reason was KPP did not wrap his arms around Coote , what did he expect him to do kiss him on the cheek and say please,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

This shoulder business is rubbish. It's a shoulder charge, it's a shoulder charge, everyone shouts (cos the ref said so, nobody said so before). Ten minutes later, the commentators are praised players for "putting their shoulder in" (and rightly so. There is an element of shoulder in most upright tackles. And again, there was as much 'wrapping' from KPP there as in many tackles.

Even in there so-called 'sanitised' NRL, I don't believe that would have been penalised, and even if it was, with no more than a penalty. Shaun Johnson and Mitchell Moses get way more stick than that every week.
PF Warrior

Post by PF Warrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 am Nice of the MEN to get a list of names for the RFL to fine.

Cant question refs and all that.
Can't question refs. Child's is a complete joke. I hope there is some consequences for the idiot., but there won't be. I agree with the players the games going to hell in a hand cart.🤬
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

And the reward to Mr Child for his performance on Sunday is to be given Leeds v Catalan on Friday...........words fail me, watch out Catalan for at least 10 citings.
Isa got 2 game ban, Child should either get 12 months off or retire, he's simply not good enough or consistent to both teams.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

He's not the only bad ref, they are all as bad as eachother, obviously being told to enforce anything that is deemed as being too aggressive.
The RFL need to have a complete rethink on the way the game is going, it is becoming a complete joke.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Child had a poor game, although he wasn't wrong (it now seems) about the thing that incensed fans most (the "You can't play at the arm" thing). KPP's yellow was certainly very harsh, but it seemed to me it was more on the say-so of the VR? But there were plenty more painful errors in his performance.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Ipinwigan wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:41 pm He's not the only bad ref, they are all as bad as eachother, obviously being told to enforce anything that is deemed as being too aggressive.
The RFL need to have a complete rethink on the way the game is going, it is becoming a complete joke.
I don't mind that bloke who did the Leeds/Wire game, he's not bad.