Tony Clubb

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by Mike »

DaveOs always right Morley. I get what you're saying.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 pm DaveOs always right Morley. I get what you're saying.
I'm just a minor member of the happy clapper society, Mike.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

https://youtu.be/pkGQFjJP4FI

Wasn't quite as I remembered, he was much further out and beat 2 or 3 on his way to the line.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Tony Clubb

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:23 pm
morley pie eater wrote:I knew that, whoever I gave as examples, someone would have to make direct comparisons despite my attempt at a disclaimer.

Pieman gets the point perfectly. I stuck to props, but could have said Ian Gildart or Ian Potter - the point is that the team needs solid reliable players to provide the platform that the stars can shine on. I'm sure Clubb has not been the best such player, but nevertheless deserves more than a detailed account of his shortcomings as he approaches the end of his career.

In my opinion.
You were saying or implying that Case and the rest would have been criticised if the internet was around. I don’t think they would have been for two reasons.

1. They were good players even if they weren’t the superstars of the team
2. They didn’t play on too long and were moved on or retired at the right time.

With Clubb it’s arguable he’s never been that good even though he was supposed to be a senior prop (and so not supposed to be a mere grafter) and he definitely has played on too long so I don’t see the parallel with Clubb with those players.

It’s funny you should mention Potter. I think if i recall correctly he was not offered a new deal at age 30. I was shocked at the time as I thought he was another very good player. So he’s another where i don’t see the parallel between him and Clubb.

yep never saw Case or Coley go missing like Clubb
pedro wrote:
morley pie eater wrote:I knew that, whoever I gave as examples, someone would have to make direct comparisons despite my attempt at a disclaimer.

Pieman gets the point perfectly. I stuck to props, but could have said Ian Gildart or Ian Potter - the point is that the team needs solid reliable players to provide the platform that the stars can shine on. I'm sure Clubb has not been the best such player, but nevertheless deserves more than a detailed account of his shortcomings as he approaches the end of his career.

In my opinion.
You were saying or implying that Case and the rest would have been criticised if the internet was around. I don’t think they would have been for two reasons.

With Clubb it’s arguable he’s never been that good even though he was supposed to be a senior prop (and so not supposed to be a mere grafter) and he definitely has played on too long so I don’t see the parallel with Clubb with those players.

It’s funny you should mention Potter. I think if i recall correctly he was not offered a new deal at age 30. I was shocked at the time as I thought he was another very good player. So he’s another where i don’t see the parallel between him and Clubb.

Me either. So while I will wish him well in his retirement I don’t understand why anyone thinks he’s been hard done by by any criticism. He was supposed to be a senior prop not a squad player and he won’t be missed.

We have let far better players leave and quite often they suddenly become bad players overnight in the eyes of some fans. Now it seems an average player is off and it’s time to get the violins out.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:29 pm
pedro wrote:

pedro wrote:

Me either. So while I will wish him well in his retirement I don’t understand why anyone thinks he’s been hard done by by any criticism. He was supposed to be a senior prop not a squad player and he won’t be missed.

We have let far better players leave and quite often they suddenly become bad players overnight in the eyes of some fans. Now it seems an average player is off and it’s time to get the violins out.
I couldnt care less about him, hes been poor for us, like a Lauaki but with more chances
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:22 pm https://youtu.be/pkGQFjJP4FI

Wasn't quite as I remembered, he was much further out and beat 2 or 3 on his way to the line.
I remember the very suspect grounding
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:13 pm

I was (conveniently) too far away to judge that! The thing was, they were hoping for a last gasp score and the hooter went as he scored. It wouldn't have mattered if he'd just run into touch or kicked the ball dead, but the try was the icing on the cake - particularly from where we were sat :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

We were right in line with it on the West terrace and the grounding was more than suspect :lol:
Would have been a shame if it had been disallowed as it probably should have been.

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:36 am

We were right in line with it on the West terrace and the grounding was more than suspect :lol:
Would have been a shame if it had been disallowed as it probably should have been.

Regards EW
replay on SKY showed knock on at grounding
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

And he was short of the line. I prefer to remember Clubby for those tackles he made in one set against Saints where they were tackled on the sixth and we scored from our next set.
Bet they'll miss him from training with his cockney accent. I know KPP has one but it isn't as broad as Clubbys.
He's that broad he makes Danny Dyer sound posh!