Tony Clubb

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good servant for the club , gone on too long but, we do need him right now. Hope he can finish strongly.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am And he was short of the line. I prefer to remember Clubby for those tackles he made in one set against Saints where they were tackled on the sixth and we scored from our next set.
Bet they'll miss him from training with his cockney accent. I know KPP has one but it isn't as broad as Clubbys.
He's that broad he makes Danny Dyer sound posh!
That is Tony clubs best moment for me, not saying he hasn't had others but completely removing saints go forward and sealing the game.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wes

Post by Wes »

widdenoldboy wrote:Good servant for the club , gone on too long but, we do need him right now. Hope he can finish strongly.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Superb Chops

Post by Superb Chops »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:49 pm I'm just glad the internet wasn't around in the days of John Barton, Brian Case, Andy Coley and others who contributed massively to the team in their day without being world beaters.
I think there is truth in this, as no-one is seemingly above a mouthful online nowadays.

But maybe Brian Case came closest after Ellery Hanley's comments on winning player of the year awards for his record try-scoring season.

Crux being Hanley said he couldn't do what he did without the tireless efforts of the criminally-unsung Case - as Brian did the graft most couldn't do.

You'd have had to be a hard-faced Wigan critic to say otherwise after those words from a truly great player.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, one of my all-time favourite memories watching Wigan was a couple of years ago at Headingley.

My son, who works in Leeds, managed to get 2 tickets for the newly-opened stand shared with the cricket ground.

Seconds from the end of a close game, Leeds messed up a kick, and the ball somehow dropped into Clubby's hands about 5 yards from the try line with no-one that close to him. He seemed to take a few seconds to assess the situation, lumbered off and scored to win the game!

I stood up and gave a long, loud YEEEEESSSSS!!!! Then realised that everything was silent around me.

Priceless!
That 5yds was more like 25yds.I was at that corner.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wes wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:42 pm
widdenoldboy wrote:Good servant for the club , gone on too long but, we do need him right now. Hope he can finish strongly.
+1. Absolutely agree Wes. Some of the posts on here would be better on Redvee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It was nowhere near being a try, and should never have been given. I'm no Clubb fan, but he shouldn't be remembered for that.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:59 am And he was short of the line. I prefer to remember Clubby for those tackles he made in one set against Saints where they were tackled on the sixth and we scored from our next set.
Bet they'll miss him from training with his cockney accent. I know KPP has one but it isn't as broad as Clubbys.
He's that broad he makes Danny Dyer sound posh!
thats my best memory of clubby also……. I think it was a rain soaked match were dom scored off the kick off…… im not 100% though
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

jao711 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, one of my all-time favourite memories watching Wigan was a couple of years ago at Headingley.

My son, who works in Leeds, managed to get 2 tickets for the newly-opened stand shared with the cricket ground.

Seconds from the end of a close game, Leeds messed up a kick, and the ball somehow dropped into Clubby's hands about 5 yards from the try line with no-one that close to him. He seemed to take a few seconds to assess the situation, lumbered off and scored to win the game!

I stood up and gave a long, loud YEEEEESSSSS!!!! Then realised that everything was silent around me.

Priceless!
That 5yds was more like 25yds.I was at that corner.
Yes, I corrected it after I'd seen the video. We were in the shared cricket ground stand around the 20 or 30 metre line, so 70-odd metres away....but that's just an excuse for an owd mon's poor memory for detail!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:53 pm It was nowhere near being a try, and should never have been given. I'm no Clubb fan, but he shouldn't be remembered for that.
It never ceases to amaze me that whatever I say, and however much I try to qualify it, someone is sure to argue with a point I never made.

For the record, it remains one of my all-time favourite memories from 57+ years of watching Wigan. And that's whether or not he grounded it properly, or ran 5 yards or 95 yards. And it says nothing whatsoever about how good or bad Clubby is or was, on that or any other day.

The reason it's a treasured memory is because of the closeness of the match, the very short time left and the fact that it was Leeds, where I've lived most of my life. And I was sat with Leeds fans and close to their directors/special guests etc.

Whilst I may not remember how many yards he ran, I do clearly recall how I felt when I stood up and yelled while every one around me was silent and stayed sat down.

Any takers? :roll:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐