Tony Clubb

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
up the junction

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by up the junction »

Clubby s been Knowwhere near as bad as some on here make out 😤 a passionate honest on field grafter who’s gave his all for the club . Considering the injuries and illnesses he’s suffered I have nothing but admiration for him . Wish you well in retirement big man 👏👏👏👏👏👏
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Its not his fault he gets slagged off its the club who kept renewing his contract and putting him in the shop window long after his sell by date
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

I just hope all this recent criticism inspires him to go out all guns blazing, which will probably repair his reputation and help the club through its current prop problem
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Some may remember two or three years ago,Clubby charging cross field to tackle Hull winger Naualago who thought he could cruise to the try line.They might also recall how Clubb and Flower. did a prop forwards job taking the ball up running straight and may also feel,as I do,that it is precisely what we need more of this year.
Both those players have received much criticism on this board from alleged Wigan supporters. Remember the old quote
“ Those that can do those that can’t write about it”
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:34 pm Its not his fault he gets slagged off its the club who kept renewing his contract and putting him in the shop window long after his sell by date
Nicely put. Think you got it bang on there.
He did a decent job the first four years, not his fault he gets offered new contracts.
We might slag him(I’m guilty of it) but if you aren’t at the peak of your career and you keep getting offered contract, what are you gonna do?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

up the junction wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:49 am Clubby s been Knowwhere near as bad as some on here make out 😤 a passionate honest on field grafter who’s gave his all for the club . Considering the injuries and illnesses he’s suffered I have nothing but admiration for him . Wish you well in retirement big man 👏👏👏👏👏👏
Been shocking last few years. Well before his 2 year extension.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jao711 wrote:Some may remember two or three years ago,Clubby charging cross field to tackle Hull winger Naualago who thought he could cruise to the try line.They might also recall how Clubb and Flower. did a prop forwards job taking the ball up running straight and may also feel,as I do,that it is precisely what we need more of this year.
Both those players have received much criticism on this board from alleged Wigan supporters. Remember the old quote
I don’t recall Flower getting much stick for his on field performances unlike Clubb. So what if he charged across the field to tackle a winger, once?

As a starting prop and senior player who should have been taking the ball up and running straight you were watching a different player to me. He was average and often went missing in games before he was given a new contract. I bet if I could be bothered to look back across posts on this forum just about everyone posting in this thread has said that and worse about the player over the years.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

morley, I was not commenting on your reaction to it, or anything you may have posted. I was simply giving my own take on the matter. Which may be different to your take. Fair enough.

I think you are being a little touchy about it.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Not quite sure where I sit with this. Can certainly say either retirement or departing Wigan is the correct decision.

Workhorse over superstar? Workhorse, problem is Tony hasn't had consistent match fitness for atleast 3 seasons IMO.

For me (being of a slightly younger generation to others), Craig Smith, Paul Prescott and Andy Coley are examples of solid workhorses we have had. Even acknowledging the game has changed since early SL years, I couldn't put Clubb on this list.

I'd be the first to hold my hands and say I've been critical of Clubb and I stand by this! As I'm sure others on here will too!

Might have a heart of gold, that doesn't count for much on the field though! I think if we had Clubb 2014 - 2017 I'd think it's more of a loss.

I've never thought or written on here he is shi*e, I think the longer he has gone on the easier it has been to critical, simply because it has been so apparent like SOL 2019/2020.

Let's hope he finishes strongly.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:49 pm
jao711 wrote:Some may remember two or three years ago,Clubby charging cross field to tackle Hull winger Naualago who thought he could cruise to the try line.They might also recall how Clubb and Flower. did a prop forwards job taking the ball up running straight and may also feel,as I do,that it is precisely what we need more of this year.
I don’t recall Flower getting much stick for his on field performances unlike Clubb. So what if he charged across the field to tackle a winger, once?

As a starting prop and senior player who should have been taking the ball up and running straight you were watching a different player to me. He wa average and often went missing in games before he was given a new contract. I bet if I could be bothered to look back across posts on this forum just about everyone posting in this thread has said that and worse about the player over the years.
And you think that justifies it all.