Signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
wall_of_voodoo

Re: Signings

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:15 pm Well, everyone, including me, has been wanting us to sign two props and now, according to the MEN, they've been signed. We now seem quite well stocked in the prop dept. I wonder if either or both could be brought over this year?
No point. We are out of the cup and this season is already a farce with teams being awarded 24-0 victories Despite next weeks relaxation of restrictions, or rather more likely probably because of it, I think we will see a lot more disruption this season. May as well start afresh with an off season behind them here with hopefully a new coach. With Lam as coach they would probably go home at the end of this season and not come back :lol:
Look on the bright side Dave. One of them might make a fantastic full back 8-)
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:08 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:20 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:15 pm Well, everyone, including me, has been wanting us to sign two props and now, according to the MEN, they've been signed. We now seem quite well stocked in the prop dept. I wonder if either or both could be brought over this year?
No point. We are out of the cup and this season is already a farce with teams being awarded 24-0 victories Despite next weeks relaxation of restrictions, or rather more likely probably because of it, I think we will see a lot more disruption this season. May as well start afresh with an off season behind them here with hopefully a new coach. With Lam as coach they would probably go home at the end of this season and not come back :lol:
Look on the bright side Dave. One of them might make a fantastic full back 8-)
I have them both pencilled in as centres. :?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors land BOTH their NRL prop targets

Wigan look set to bolster their squad with the addition of TWO NRL props.

Wigantoday revealed earlier this month they were closing in on signing a recruit from Down Under for 2022.

They were tracking both Kaide Ellis and Patrick Mago, players they believe could strengthen the pack next season.

And with both players keen to make the move, Wigan are understood to be making a double swoop.

Ellis, 24, has played six games for St George Illawarra Dragons this season while 26-year-old Mago plays at Wayne Bennett's South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The New Zealander has played seven times for the Bunnies this year and featured 12 times last season. Sydney's Daily Telegraph reports they will both join on three-year deals.

Wigan have been scouring the market for props.

George Burgess was not replaced after his departure before the campaign began, just one year into his marquee deal. They are also losing two of their senior front-rowers, Joe Bullock (Warrington) and Tony Clubb (retirement), at the end of this year.

Although Wigan haven't announced any captures for next season, they have been actively assembling their squad.

London and ex-Manly winger Abbas Miski is understood to be joining as a replacement for Dom Manfredi.

Leigh centre Iain Thornley is also thought to be heading back to his hometown club to strengthen their options when Oliver Gildart departs for the NRL.

Reports elsewhere linking them with Leigh's Nathan Mason and Canterbury prop Renouf Atoni were wide of the mark.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ts-3310124
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

This is why Wigan are frustrating. This has been all over the local papers for the past week and not a word from Wigan.
They should at least come forward and say we are looking at these two or it’s a load of rubbish etc.
Just feel like the club are taking us for fools sometimes
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:20 pm
This is why Wigan are frustrating. This has been all over the local papers for the past week and not a word from Wigan.
They should at least come forward and say we are looking at these two or it’s a load of rubbish etc.
Just feel like the club are taking us for fools sometimes
I personally don't believe the club should rubbish any rumours as they are just rumours.

The only thing they should do is announce the actual completed signings before the papers
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Not rumours anymore

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... -signings/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The forwards look like excellent signings to me, especially as we have a lot of high quality young forwards. The backs, though... the idea that this cheapo will entertain a crowd used to seeing high class players is delusional. I would have preferred it if, when they announced Thornley and Diski, they made it clear that in salary cap and pandemic hit times, we have to sign cheap players who can fill a shirt, and invest elsewhere.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:The forwards look like excellent signings to me, especially as we have a lot of high quality young forwards. The backs, though... the idea that this cheapo will entertain a crowd used to seeing high class players is delusional. I would have preferred it if, when they announced Thornley and Diski, they made it clear that in salary cap and pandemic hit times, we have to sign cheap players who can fill a shirt, and invest elsewhere.
The forwards do look good signings and I agree the backs signed are uninspiring. We know what Thornley is capable of which isn’t a lot and while it’s technically correct to say Miski is ex-Manley who are the club trying to kid? I know they want to be positive but it’s patronising to imply he’s an NRL first grade standard winger. It’s like Clarke being the leagues most devastating forward all over again. We all know he’s not Pat Richards standard and the club doesn’t do itself or the player any favours by over selling the signing like this.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:54 pm Not rumours anymore

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/07/ ... -signings/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Has KR been reading the forums? No over the top upsell on any of them.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:17 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote:The forwards look like excellent signings to me, especially as we have a lot of high quality young forwards. The backs, though... the idea that this cheapo will entertain a crowd used to seeing high class players is delusional. I would have preferred it if, when they announced Thornley and Diski, they made it clear that in salary cap and pandemic hit times, we have to sign cheap players who can fill a shirt, and invest elsewhere.
The forwards do look good signings and I agree the backs signed are uninspiring. We know what Thornley is capable of which isn’t a lot and while it’s technically correct to say Miski is ex-Manley who are the club trying to kid? I know they want to be positive but it’s patronising to imply he’s an NRL first grade standard winger. It’s like Clarke being the leagues most devastating forward all over again. We all know he’s not Pat Richards standard and the club doesn’t do itself or the player any favours by over selling the signing like this.
Clark,frank paul the list goes on,why the club tries to seek these players as almost world class is beyond me,Wigan fans aren’t fools treat them with respect and they’ll stay loyal treat them otherwise and well empty seats in the DW