No Australia or NZ at the World Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Re: No Australia or NZ at the World Cup

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am And yet they send their olympians and RU side abroad no problem.

We should enter a Aussie and NZ select side on their behalves and eject the two governing bodies from the international game.
I’d agree to that 👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am
Mike wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:54 am All the southern hemisphere teams rely on NRL players too, so they will be massively depleted.
If it were not for this I'd say go ahead without them. I think there would be a great deal of support for the competition not only despite of the Oz/NZ withdrawal but because of it.

If you read the news articles on this it's clear NRL club concerns are at the forefront of the decision anyway. Players retuning would have to isolate for two weeks and due to NRL rules will also be entitled to holidays before they have to return to training before the next season. The clubs don't like that and that's the main issue in my opinion, not that the WC organizers can't ensure player safety re covid.

This is what is wrong with the decision. At a time the sport needs all the help it can get they have pulled the plug for selfish reasons. Parochial is the right word to describe their actions.

That said the fact cases are going through the roof here has given the Aussie's and NZ'ers the perfect excuse they need to keep their clubs happy.

Support from who because of the withdrawal?
The fans.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Not this fan. Because of covid, it should have been postponed till next year anyway. No Aussies and Kiwis, and the comp would be a joke. And, as noted, how hard would teams like Tonga and Samoa be hit if NRL clubs don't release players?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm If I lived and worked in NZ or Aus I wouldn't think of going to the UK for anything!
Aus have had 915 people die of Covid, NZ have had 26. The UK deaths from Covid is over 153,700.
The whole world knows what's happened here. The worst death rate in Europe and one of the worst in the world per capita. "Plague Island" is how the NY Times described the UK.

They must watch in astonishment when our PM announces "Freedom Day", his title, then on July 19th we all see he's locked away together with his Chancellor. When our PM and his Govt are so staggeringly incompetent is it any wonder the RL Governing bodies down under don't want to risk their players and staff.

There's a book out called "Failures of State" by two Sunday Times journos Calvert & Arbuthnot about Johnson and his Gov't handling of Covid since the Chinese first warned them end of 2019. A very good read.
👏👏👏
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:11 pm Not this fan. Because of covid, it should have been postponed till next year anyway. No Aussies and Kiwis, and the comp would be a joke. And, as noted, how hard would teams like Tonga and Samoa be hit if NRL clubs don't release players?
Completely agree I don’t like the way they did it but without them it simply isn’t the World Cup and farcical to think otherwise
jobo

Post by jobo »

Aussie and NZ players and coaches want the world cup to go ahead.

Could be a revolt
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:45 pm If I lived and worked in NZ or Aus I wouldn't think of going to the UK for anything!
Aus have had 915 people die of Covid, NZ have had 26. The UK deaths from Covid is over 153,700.
The whole world knows what's happened here. The worst death rate in Europe and one of the worst in the world per capita. "Plague Island" is how the NY Times described the UK.

They must watch in astonishment when our PM announces "Freedom Day", his title, then on July 19th we all see he's locked away together with his Chancellor. When our PM and his Govt are so staggeringly incompetent is it any wonder the RL Governing bodies down under don't want to risk their players and staff.

There's a book out called "Failures of State" by two Sunday Times journos Calvert & Arbuthnot about Johnson and his Gov't handling of Covid since the Chinese first warned them end of 2019. A very good read.
Exaggeration there Ted. 128980 still a tremendous number but that is those who actually died of Covid, your figure is the figure on the death certificates of people who died of something else but still had Covid mentioned on the death certificate. You should be more incensed at the number of people who died after catching Covid in hospital like my sister in law after a fall.
Anyway on a brighter note Shaun Wane to throw in the towel with GB, come back before next week and sack Lam.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Farcical to consider a tournament without Oz and NZ.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Just watching Sky interview of Simon Johnson (RFL Chairman), mightily impressed with his straight talking and passion for RL.