Wembley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
stevocod

Re: Wembley

Post by stevocod »

primrose-n-blue posted:
Old Trafford too small? It already seats more than Murrayfield and by the time of the CC final, Old Trafford will have the same seating capacity as the Millenium Stadium or Twickers!!
Well wrong because Twickenham is in redevelopment and will hold 80k + by the time the final comes around because of the revenue put in from the rfu after England winnning the world cup and Old Trafford is being redeveloped as well and will hold over 70k then and will hold more than the Millenium when the football season finishes.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

stevocod posted:
Twickenham is in redevelopment and will hold 80k +
That's a lot of people, even for high-density accommodation tower blocks. Oh, you mean they're not demolishing the place and doing something useful with the land... what a shame!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

"Looking to the Future
In December 2004 the RFU received planning permission for the redevelopment of the South Stand, and work on the new stand started in June 2005. The New Stand will complete the stadium's bowl, increasing its capacity to 82,000 as well as adding a 4 star hotel and vastly increasing the function space available."
Source: http://www.twickenhamexperience.com/twi ... twick_stad
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

stevocod posted:
"Looking to the Future
In December 2004 the RFU received planning permission for the redevelopment of the South Stand, and work on the new stand started in June 2005. The New Stand will complete the stadium's bowl, increasing its capacity to 82,000 as well as adding a 4 star hotel and vastly increasing the function space available."
Source: http://www.twickenhamexperience.com/twi ... twick_stad
I still say turning it into houses would be a better idea. But that's probably only jealousy because the rah-rahs have got a "national" stadium that's near the heartland for that game in this country, and we don't... (and still won't if/when Wembley ever re-opens - unless you're a Harlequins fan it's not near to anyone.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Ruzzle

Post by Ruzzle »

My only experience of "Twickers" was England v S.Africa about 3 years ago. I found it bloody awful to get to, they shut the bars just before the match and the smell of barbour jackets and Range Rover interiors was quite overpowering! :)
primrose-n-blue

Post by primrose-n-blue »

Ruzzle posted:
Right, its about time someone defended the building company. As a project manager for a construction firm it gets my goat when all the press reports blame the builder for everything that goes wrong.
Let me tell you the client will be as much to blame for delays as will other contributors to the stadium.
For a start there has been a large number of design changes during the building. Why? Ask the faceless morons at the FA and their representatives, they are the ones who will create changes. Every design change made costs time and money and somebody has to pay for it, why should the building contractor when its not his fault?

This kind of thing contributes to the massive overrun on budget. As this project started back in 1999, why wasen't the land dispute to do with "wembly way" sorted out back then - back to the client and his half wit representatives, not the building contractors fault.

Generally clients want a silk purse building on sows ear money or "value engineering" as its called, so contractors have to at times buy jobs for the prestiege that it brings.

Even if it had all gone to plan, time and budget, dont think the building contractor would be making a fortune, profits for main contractors lie somewher between 2-5%. Not exactly Barclays profits is it!!

Right, now I have vented my spleen I shall go away again and look forward to Fridays match. I shall sit in my usual area of the West stand and try to work out how much each plastic seat cost the building contractor!! :roll: :eh:
Wow, that's a case won for the defence. I think they need to hire you to over see the Wembely project like that french Pebo something or other did for the Millenium Dome.
:wink:
Ruzzle

Post by Ruzzle »

Thank you P-n-B, though I am detecting a slight hint of sarcasm??!! :o Oui?! :roll:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Ruzzle, there is some truth in what you say but the problems with concrete etc are down to the construction company surely?
Ruzzle

Post by Ruzzle »

cpwigan posted:
Ruzzle, there is some truth in what you say but the problems with concrete etc are down to the construction company surely?
This is where construction becomes a mine field and the blame hat is passed round many a head! For example say one of the concrete pad foundations supporting the main structural steel starts to fail and crack. The structural engineer (employed by the client in traditional contracts) designs the reinforcement, steel, concrete design and grade etc. Is the design correct, did a design change in the main structure cause an extra loading that wasent designed into that particular foundation. Is the concrete its self at fault from the manufacturer (Chances are it is a quality assured company operating to stringent standards and subjected to regular testing) Was it placed correctly (it should be as Multibuild will operate a quality assurance system on site).

I am not disputing the fact that the main contractor signs up knowingly to responsibilities when the contract is signed. I am just pointing out that all the media coverage seems to be crapping from a great height on the contractor, when if they did a bit of investigation into the truth (alledgedly their job) they would find the scenario a little different from current reporting.

As a Civil Engineer, the reports in my weekly journal do differ somewhat from the sensationalised cods wallop that comes out in the, shall we say, less intellectual daily publications!

I really need to get off this high horse, I'm getting vertigo, and sore fingers, I've never posted this much in one day before! :)
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Ruzzle posted:
I am just pointing out that all the media coverage seems to be crapping from a great height on the contractor, when if they did a bit of investigation into the truth (alledgedly their job) they would find the scenario a little different from current reporting.
When has the media ever been concerned with truth when it comes to reporting?! The S*n-reading White Van Men of this country doesn't want the truth, they just want to be able to curse and swear at someone and who better than the construction firm, some faceless organisation they've never heard of before and won't have to remember tomorrow when Wembley Stadium has been replaced on the front page by a "Posh Spice Takes Off Sunglasses"-type story.

[hr]