Thomas Leuluai: Wigan Warriors veteran ruled out for rest of the season with torn hamstring

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Thomas Leuluai: Wigan Warriors veteran ruled out for rest of the season with torn hamstring

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam said Thomas Leuluai has a big decision to make on his future after suffering a "severe" hamstring tear which ruled him out of the remainder of the 2021 Super League season

Wigan's veteran half-back Thomas Leuluai has been ruled out for the rest of the season with a hamstring tear, raising fears he may have played his last match.

The 36-year-old former New Zealand international, who is in his second spell with the Warriors, signed a new 12-month contract at the end of the 2020 season as he contemplated retirement.

Leuluai has been promised a place on the club's backroom team when he hangs up his boots and must now decide whether to follow former captain Sean O'Loughlin into the coaching ranks in 2022.

That's a decision he would need to make," said coach Adrian Lam. "He was playing some pretty good rugby before his injury.

"It's a severe tear and it takes him past the Grand Final final date by a week.

It's a massive blow in terms of his importance and the role he plays for the club.

He's our greatest leader here and a really popular member of the group. We're a different group when he's not there.

"We will have to share that leadership around and Harry Smith will now have to take the last two months of rugby under his belt and step forward with it.

"The club are shattered but we have to get on with it. It's another blow to us, another key spine player we've lost, but we're used to it. We can't dwell on it.

Wigan also have a major doubt over hooker Sam Powell for Friday's derby with St Helens after he sustained a head knock in the defeat at Hull KR.

But second rower John Bateman is set to return after sitting out the last match through illness and prop Oliver Partington will be back from suspension.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... -hamstring
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Thomas Leuluai: Wigan Warriors veteran ruled out for rest of the season with torn hamstring

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam keeps the door open for Tommy Leuluai to extend career after season-ending injury

The Wigan captain will miss the rest of the season - but could return next season.

Thomas Leuluai will make a call on whether he has played his last game for Wigan Warriors in the next month after Adrian Lam confirmed his season has been curtailed due to injury.

Wigan and Leuluai's worst fears were confirmed on Tuesday, when Lam revealed that the hamstring tear suffered by Leuluai will rule him out for the remainder of the 2021 campaign.

The 36-year-old only signed a one-year contract for the current season, and is yet to decide on whether he will play on in 2022. That means he could realistically have appeared for the Warriors for the final time as a player, but Lam was non-committal on whether a decision has been made about Leuluai's future.

"It's an emotional part of his injury and it's difficult to know you're not going to be playing for the rest of the season," Lam said.

He's going to do his best to recover as quick as he can but it's not going to be in time for this season. That process (about his future) will happen over the next month for him. That'll be his decision and the club's. It's another blow, it's one of our key spine players."

When asked if he would like to see Leuluai continue as a player, Lam said: "That would be a decision he'd need to make, to be honest with you. He's playing some good rugby, but it's how his body is, and how he feels and communicates with the club over the next few weeks.

I'm not sure it's the end for him. I know within our group, he's our leader and he's a real popular member of the group and he brings us to another level with his presence. When he's sitting in the dressing room playing, I feel better as a coach. We're a different group with him there."

Lam confirmed that Sam Powell and Liam Farrell are likely to operate in a dual role as captains for the remainder of the season in Leuluai's absence, and the Warriors will be boosted by the return of Powell and the suspended Olly Partington for Friday's derby with St Helens.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... n-21331878
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Re: Thomas Leuluai: Wigan Warriors veteran ruled out for rest of the season with torn hamstring

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Been a superb servant and a fine player with it. For me though, I think it's time to look to the future. I can't see how an extra 12 months will benefit us?

With this now, the question has to be is Harry Smith 7 for next season? The paragraph talking about Smith taking on leadership this season, is as relevant now as it is for 2022.

Do we need to sign either an experienced 7? Smith has potential and possibly is our future regular 7, would it be beneficial to have a more experienced half coming in though?

Liam Farrell appointed permanent (c) now!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

A great shame for Tommy who's always given his all for the team. Two comments in Lam's statement bother me though:

Firstly, a point raised by cheshire warrior - if Lammy is not convinced that Tommy will retire is he just being polite/supportive or does it imply (as I think) that we're not planning a replacement? i.e. Smith and Field are our halfbacks next season.

Secondly and in many ways more worrying, how the hell can we be planning to play Powell when he failed his HIA on Friday? I Know that the rules allow us to do this if he passes various tests this week but how can that be sensible? He had 'concussion' on Friday but he can play next Friday. Where's the real duty of care there?
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

A sad way to bow out if he doesn’t play next season. He’s been a good player for us but to say he’s been playing good rugby for us this season is more delusion from lam. I wouldn’t give him another 1yr deal personally.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Tommy has been a wonderful servant but its time to move on he wasn't right before this injury to me while it wasn't perfect that try he scored is a nice way to go out, why put yet more strain on his body no to me its time to call it and I hope he does.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Have to agree with that.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

+1
Time for he and the Club to move on.