Worst Wigan team since late 70s and 2005

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
4piesonastick

Worst Wigan team since late 70s and 2005

Post by 4piesonastick »

I have lurked here for years and thought long and hard about posting and have joined tonight. After supporting Wigan for so long I feel I am entitled to have a say.
I have supported Wigan for around 55 years, my late Dad started me off by lifting me over the turnstiles at Central Park in the 60s.
I used to walk from Hr Ince from the age of 9 on my own to Central Park with all the other thousands as I had a season ticket for the Hen pen, used to jump over the wall at half time to get among the grown ups haha.
70s stood in the Cop Good Friday singing clapping, 3.00pm minutes silence, get on with it get those Stains beat.
Rugby is in my blood and it grieves me to see this World famous club on skid row.
To be truthful my wife and I have stopped going to home games as Wigan are now so boring to watch, drive it for 5 and kick it and to change the game plan and fox the opposition drive it for 4 and kick it.
We have basically 13 forwards on the field of various sizes and none with any rugby talent among them.
Name me one player among them who has the ability to open up the position?, Wigan are the most boring team in the Super league by far.
I fear the future of RL in this country is on the way out, the standard of rugby now compared to 20 years ago is not on a par, same at amateur level.
Top to bottom at Wigan needs a clear out, Radlinski great player, but what has he brought to Wigan since? nothing, Lam is an apprentice and not a good one, all I can see is jobs for the boys, finish playing and get on the Wigan tit and start sucking it dry.
Our top Super League team would not win one game in the NRL.
The NRL should carry a warning, watch this and think what RL in England used to be like.
jaws1

Re: Worst Wigan team since late 70s and 2005

Post by jaws1 »

Said on the radio coming back from the match Wigan did not score a try tonight the first time they have not scored a try in a derby match since 1975.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think it was 1975 (any try) and 1993 at home V Stains....Frano penalty only? I was listening too and it knocked me :lol:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am not sure I agree that we are that bad. We won the LLS and were a bounce of the ball away from being champions last year. We were far further away from glory during the 10 year period until 1985, and until McGuire left. A better coach and some big lads and we will be back again.

I think the game these days is generally struggling, but things can change quickly enough. We do have a billionaire shareholder, after all, so the potential investment is there if the game ever decides to ditch the cap and let teams properly invest again.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

We’ve had our injuries problems but I just think we are a very bad coached team with a coach who hasn’t a clue how to select a team.
The team are really low on confidence and Lam isn’t the man to sort this out, as he is proving
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:48 am I am not sure I agree that we are that bad. We won the LLS and were a bounce of the ball away from being champions last year. We were far further away from glory during the 10 year period until 1985, and until McGuire left. A better coach and some big lads and we will be back again.

I think the game these days is generally struggling, but things can change quickly enough. We do have a billionaire shareholder, after all, so the potential investment is there if the game ever decides to ditch the cap and let teams properly invest again.
As this billionaire shareholder wasn't announced, hasn't even been seen at games, I wouldn't put any faith on him having an interest in Wigan. I'm still of the opinion it was part of the attempt to purchase the stadium only.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
HDS

Post by HDS »

I don't think we are as bad as we where in the seventies, the drop from last season is very worrying, but injuries and playing so many games against fresher teams has not helped.

But the way Jackson Hastings is trying to do everything does remind of the seventies when Bill Ashurst used to carry us. Also George Fairburn in the later seventies.
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

jaws1 wrote:Said on the radio coming back from the match Wigan did not score a try tonight the first time they have not scored a try in a derby match since 1975.
Didn't we lose 75-0?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

JimmyMagnets wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:43 pm
jaws1 wrote:Said on the radio coming back from the match Wigan did not score a try tonight the first time they have not scored a try in a derby match since 1975.
Didn't we lose 75-0?

Yes against Saints then the week after by 70 nil v Leeds! I was at both games.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:33 pm
JimmyMagnets wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:43 pm
Didn't we lose 75-0?

Yes against Saints then the week after by 70 nil v Leeds! I was at both games.
Although we got hammered both them games they were both lets kick wigan why they are down games…… the amount of forward passes allowed in both games bordered on ridiculous……. An embarrassing moment for super league as they were letting anything and everything to go
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE