Return of the sarg

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Return of the sarg

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:05 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:40 pm Sarginson would be an excellent signing but I can’t see it. He’s got two years left on his Salford deal.

The stick he got from Wigan fans never made any sense to me. We’ve missed his energy and competitive nature. It’s the loss of a guy like that, who can cover all the outside back spots, that has left us in the brown stuff this season. I’d welcome him back with open arms.
Fans have a very short memory, some of us have not forgotten his match winning performance in the GF playing at fullback.
Exactly. The lad is a machine from a fitness and desire point of view and that’s invaluable. It isn’t just about what he brings but he can inspire those around him.

I’m not sure what some people expect when it comes to signings. It was the same when we were rumoured to be in for Westerman. I said at the time he’d sorted his attitude out and was playing really well nowadays. He went on to be selected for England and has had a brilliant season. He’d walk a place in our 17, as would Sarginson.
Westerman would have been a cracking signing, the type of player required to lead our young guns.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Why are certain fans obsessed with re-signing former mediocre players, Lenners has done a fantastic job at lowering the standard of signings we make, It's like he wants the club to be a mid level club and certain happy clappers are happy to go along with it. Those that would welcome back Sarge hang your heads in shame, Proper piss take like
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 pm Why are certain fans obsessed with re-signing former mediocre players, Lenners has done a fantastic job at lowering the standard of signings we make, It's like he wants the club to be a mid level club and certain happy clappers are happy to go along with it. Those that would welcome back Sarge hang your heads in shame, Proper piss take like
Given the corner the club have painted itself into I’d sooner take Sarge back than not,is it ideal of course not but it’s time to stop living in fantasy land until a big injection of cash or the deadwood is cast aside this is the reality of things.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:46 am Looks like I'll be at least £234 better off next year depending on the next few signings, Thanks Lenners for ruining my love for the game
Why, are you not buying a new couch?🤣
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:If Sarg is brought back then it's to resolved the problem of not being able to get out of our own yardage which was a massive drag on the team. The props took the blame on here but it's always the backs who get teams out of their area and on the front foot. It was obvious all season that Isa, Bibby, Gildart & Farrell couldn't do it.
If next year's backs look anything like French, Miski, Hankinson, Sarginson (Thornley) & Marshall then it won't be a problem at all.

There's a lot of doom and gloom about next year but I just don't see it. We'll have pace that no other club can match with French, Field & Marshall. We'll have two off loading forwards in KPP & Ellis and a new coaching set up should be able to get us there or there abouts. Let's be honest here, if that Wigan team of 2021 can get to fourth when they've been hindered by Lam every week then why couldn't we get higher next year?

Looking on here I must be the ultimate optimist as I see an improvement in the playing squad and the main benefit will be Lam won't be head coach. The squad last year wasn't too bad but it was that Lam wouldn't play our senior props. The one time he did we beat Catalans. Who else could we have beaten if he'd played three of the four senior props most weeks on a rotational basis. IMO the 2021 squad was a lot, lot better than the results due to shambolic team selection and non existent tactics/game plan.

With a couple of good signings for next year then I feel quite optimistic about it all.
Needless to say I'll shall aquire the four season tickets as usual and am looking forward to it already.
I can’t believe you are serious. Sarginson and Thornley are crap. I couldn’t believe it when they re-singed Sarginson the last time after his failed attempt at playing in the NRL.

He is another centre who doesn’t know his winger exists.

Hankinson has no pace so God knows why you think he can bring the ball out and Miski is an unknown at SL level but is a 26 year old winger no other top club has shown an interest in.

Wigan under IL are doing a grand job of assembling the worst side I have seen in decades. Bar French and Marshall that back line is awful.

The jury is still out on Field but if we are after Sarge because the club is letting Hardaker leave the two running the club are a pair of clowns.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Not agreeing or disagreeing about either DaveO but out of curiosity how much of either Sarge or Thornley have you watched outside of them playing wigan?

I'm curious if your opinion is based of the fact they left Wigan or from actually having an idea about their current form.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

I remember saying it a few times before…….but credit where credit is due!
Dan Sarginson you have a fantastic agent!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd have him back.....now for a lie down in a dark room. :cry:
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 pm Not agreeing or disagreeing about either DaveO but out of curiosity how much of either Sarge or Thornley have you watched outside of them playing wigan?

I'm curious if your opinion is based of the fact they left Wigan or from actually having an idea about their current form.
ive watched Thornley a few times this year at Leigh as ive been, I cant believe hes got a superleague gig, hes been dreadful, his defence is laughable and even Leigh fans couldnt wait to get rid....
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

pedro wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:11 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 pm Not agreeing or disagreeing about either DaveO but out of curiosity how much of either Sarge or Thornley have you watched outside of them playing wigan?

ive watched Thornley a few times this year at Leigh as ive been, I cant believe hes got a superleague gig, hes been dreadful, his defence is laughable and even Leigh fans couldnt wait to get rid....
Abit like our recruitment