New signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

New signings

Post by Suzieb »

Huddersfield have just signed a very good hooker a good organiser and a live wire I feel that we need a new number 9of this quality to get us around the field I don’t think that we will challenge next season if we fail to pick up some good quality pivot players
Wiganer Ted

Re: New signings

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Isn't going to happen. Sam Powell signed a new deal recently and there's Brad O'Neil as back up.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

If you look at the players who have been available like Sezer, Austin, Hill, Lussick, Fages, Lolheau, Mamo and we have not made a move for any of them it’s a concern. Especially, when we are resigning the likes of Powell, Thornley and TL? this looks like a lack of ambition and cost saving.

If we could have brought in Sezer, Lussick and Hill we would be in much better shape for next season. Surely, our budget could have stretched to that as we are losing Hastings, Manfredi, Clubb, Bullock , Clark and not resigned Powell, TL and Thornley.

Saints, Leeds, Huddersfield, and Warrington all look to be replacing and strengthening their squads for next season but our recruitment again seems to be poor. Throw in the problem of choosing a new coach, to appoint within is another cheap option and a mistake. We need new blood in both playing and coaching areas otherwise we will be looking again at a season we just had no trophies and no entertainment.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I'd say we need new blood at the top but that ain't going to happen anytime soon!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

If Tommy plays on and Powell remains unchalleged for his 9 spot then we will be going into the new season with THE worst 6,7,9 combo of any team in the league - which sounds about right for Wigan as our major problem was creativity so why not make sure these positions are the worst in the league.

People thinking that Powell is acceptable because O'neil may feature need to remember the only string to Powell's bow is he plays 80mins - there is no reason to believe that we will shift back to a 2 hooker system especially if Wane does return in any capacity. So if Powell plays on it will be him and him alone at 9.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It's still a rumour TL will carry on so I am hoping it doesn't happen but if it doesn't I am not sure where a replacement half back is coming from.

I just don't get the thought processes that IL and Rads go through that results in them signing players like Thornley, failing to recognise Powell isn't good enough and if TL plays on, why they think this is a good idea.

Is it really just because they are incapable of scouting better players? Or is it given the club pays to the cap limit have they screwed up the cap finances that these are all the club can afford? Rads is a former player and should know what he sees isn't good enough so what is going on?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:30 pm It's still a rumour TL will carry on so I am hoping it doesn't happen but if it doesn't I am not sure where a replacement half back is coming from.

I just don't get the thought processes that IL and Rads go through that results in them signing players like Thornley, failing to recognise Powell isn't good enough and if TL plays on, why they think this is a good idea.

Is it really just because they are incapable of scouting better players? Or is it given the club pays to the cap limit have they screwed up the cap finances that these are all the club can afford? Rads is a former player and should know what he sees isn't good enough so what is going on?
Its the jobs for the boys though isnt it and Powells one of the boys - he wont get another hooker in because he knows pretty much any hooker you bring in is a step up on Powell and effectively puts one of the boys out of a job
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:50 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:30 pm It's still a rumour TL will carry on so I am hoping it doesn't happen but if it doesn't I am not sure where a replacement half back is coming from.

Its the jobs for the boys though isnt it and Powells one of the boys - he wont get another hooker in because he knows pretty much any hooker you bring in is a step up on Powell and effectively puts one of the boys out of a job
Has Powell's extension been announced on the club website?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Jobs for boys :lol: say it enough and it....
Will still be an opinion and not based of any factual evidence.

I am curious how many of the backroom staff are ex players who have gone straight to the backroom and haven't had experience elsewhere.

It's also amusing how it's jobs for boys but it was a shame we didn't get Edwards because he would have broke that... despite being an ex wigan player.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

i read last week powell still not signed new contract