This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: This season frustrated / worrying/ angry/ frightened

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:54 pm Who would replace him?

I don't see anyone lining up to purchase a RL club, I'm still of the opinion our billionaire shareholder was to do with the stadium and not the club.

Only person even hinting is Dr K and its all hot air as I think was it both Hull Kr.and Wakefield that where looking for new owners?
depends, we never saw anyone come in for the club before whelan sold up until he put it up for sale
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I would be a lot more forgiving of the IL/Rads regime if we were broke i.e not spending the cap.

Also people saying spend your money and go to the games - im sorry but why? im not contractually obliged to give Wigan money as a fan. We scored less than every other team in the league last year which is proof of how dismal we have been. Get a new hooker a new half back a big dominating prop and people might start to re-engage
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
PJC

Post by PJC »

The club is in a downward spiral. It will recover but note should be taken at what happened to Bradford and Widnes.
There are several causes for the present malaise. However I believe that attractive football would be a significant step forward. I would say this about Rugby League as a whole. There are some good games but nowhere near enough of them. Wigan v Leeds used to be a top draw match. Last week’s game was an arm wrestle. Players gave a lot but it wasn’t entertaining. Before someone says it was because of what was at stake this has not always been the case in knock out matches.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pedro wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:20 am
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:54 pm Who would replace him?

I don't see anyone lining up to purchase a RL club, I'm still of the opinion our billionaire shareholder was to do with the stadium and not the club.

Only person even hinting is Dr K and its all hot air as I think was it both Hull Kr.and Wakefield that where looking for new owners?
depends, we never saw anyone come in for the club before whelan sold up until he put it up for sale
Maybe it is time to test the market perhaps?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:33 pm
It's been a poor season, yes, but sport is cyclical. Look what happened at Leeds, look what happened at Saints. Saints are now top dogs but they have something like eight players over the age of thirty and have recently given contract extensions to three of those.
There is no reason for a salary cap sport to be cyclical for a club that spends to the salary cap. In fact I think it's just another excuse and this cyclical idea is a bit if myth. A club paying to the salary cap has the same amount of money to attract players as any other side doing the same and can pay more than sides that don't spend to the cap.

So what is cyclical here? The competence of those running the club? That is, it was inevitable they lost the plot and it was inevitable they have done things like kept giving contracts to players who should have retired? Or get themselves into a mess paying too many young players first team wages? If so they need to move on.

We have all watched this sort of thing happen with questions asked as to why Lockers, Clubb and TL have played for so long and at what stage of the cycle does making signings like Thornley put us?
Just out of curiosity, how many games have you actually been to this season?
Technically every one as I am season ticket holder. For one reason or another such as holiday clashes probably about 2/3. Went to the playoff game as well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

acwrlfc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 pm
In the Fans Forum KR spoke about humanity in some of his decisions thats all well and good but professional sport is a ruthless business which i dont think hes upto.
Think you have hit the nail on the head there. Tough decisions are not being taken. The question he asked about should the club let young players leave or pay the market rate was telling in this regard. It's should be obvious to KR with limited funds due to a salary cap if you pay too many young players the market rate you have no money left to make the signings you need elsewhere in the team. So then you end up signing championship standard players to fill the gap of gambling on unknown players like Field.

The willingness to renew contracts also seems to stem from this humanity and I don't think he's tough enough to tell players like Powell he's not having a new deal as we need a better 9 and or tell players like Clubb and TL it's time to hang up their boots. It seems it's left up to the players to decide when its time to retire and if they want to play on KR is going to let them.

I can't see any of this changing until KR is replaced. This is not likely to happen as IL thinks the sun shines out of his backside if the write up from the forum is anything to go by.
bertina

Post by bertina »

No straw damn us wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:51 pm Perhaps if the armchair bar stool fans got off their backsides and attended games then Ian Lenagan wouldn't have to put millions of £s into the club.
👏👏👏
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Perhaps if IL and KR had some vision for the club people would return but it appears to me we are running in treacle.

We are paying up to the salary cap remember and our crowds are much the same as Saints Wire etc and much better than Huddersfield but look at their recruitment, so for me the support isnt an issue.

I really interesting comment from Leon Pryce tonight who Mcnamus is willing to go out get quality and replace with quality.

And the end result is they are always in and around the Grand Final year after year, for me him and Mike Rush are the difference. I didnt see the TWS bulging at the seams tonight
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:19 pm
acwrlfc wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 pm
In the Fans Forum KR spoke about humanity in some of his decisions thats all well and good but professional sport is a ruthless business which i dont think hes upto.
Think you have hit the nail on the head there. Tough decisions are not being taken. The question he asked about should the club let young players leave or pay the market rate was telling in this regard. It's should be obvious to KR with limited funds due to a salary cap if you pay too many young players the market rate you have no money left to make the signings you need elsewhere in the team. So then you end up signing championship standard players to fill the gap of gambling on unknown players like Field.

The willingness to renew contracts also seems to stem from this humanity and I don't think he's tough enough to tell players like Powell he's not having a new deal as we need a better 9 and or tell players like Clubb and TL it's time to hang up their boots. It seems it's left up to the players to decide when its time to retire and if they want to play on KR is going to let them.

I can't see any of this changing until KR is replaced. This is not likely to happen as IL thinks the sun shines out of his backside if the write up from the forum is anything to go by.
Youre right there this has been our downfall nothing against the kids coming in but a whole pack of them all at once no KR has invested in youth too much .Look at Saints pack all nearing 30 they drip feed their young players in and not burn them out like Lam has this season. Take one game the Catalan game where we started with 3 seasoned props and we ran all over them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Our success last season towards the end was due to Singleton coming in and starting games with him and bullock

The prop situation is absolutely dire, in terms of who Lam picked the order was:
Singleton
Partington
Havard
Byrne
Bullock
Clubb
Clarke

Clear issues are
1 - too much youth all at same level
2 - imbalance
3 - not using experience when it’s needed
4 - overall it isn’t good enough no matter which order you start people, let’s be honest. are any 4 of those players overall good enough to compete on highest level?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."