Salary Cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Caboosegg

Re: Salary Cap

Post by Caboosegg »

irl_warr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 am I was told yesterday evening that Wane is green lit to take full charge for one season at Wigan with longer term replacement coming for 2023. Club seem to think bringing Shaun back as head coach will please the fans more than a Matty Peet appointment? Looking to bring in Sarg & spoken/speaking to Luke Gale. TL to go round again only if a Gale deal can't be done. Field and French both expressed desire to go home/stay in Aus and have permission from club to stay in Australia if they can find clubs/employment but are welcome back at Wigan if not. Hardacre has stressed the travelling is too much and is shopping around every Yorkshire SL club but no interest at all, don't be surprised at all if you see him at York for a year! General consensus from the club is that the squad as it is will go ok for next year and Wane will bring out better performances from individuals.

Until Field/French make decisions, we can't sign anyone else, which makes sense as to why we have missed out on certain OOC players in the last few months.

Sarge/Hanley FB, Marshall/Miski WING, Thornley/Hankinson CENTRES, Gale/Smith HALVES, Powell/O'Neill HOOKERS. Not sure what to make of it but I am fully led to believe that is the best we can achieve.
Ii fully believe that who ever plays for wigan deserves a chance but if any of that is true we are well and truly screwed next season.

We need French at FB it's a simple as that, not because he's the best FB in SL but he adds something wigan is missing.

Hardaker may be a brilliant defensive FB but look at the type of FB wigan have when the do well recently.

Tomkins/bowen/escare/Tomkins/French.

They have all been attacking FBs and it has allowed us to do well with a static pack that has defended rather than make metres.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

irl_warr wrote:I was told yesterday evening that Wane is green lit to take full charge for one season at Wigan with longer term replacement coming for 2023. Club seem to think bringing Shaun back as head coach will please the fans more than a Matty Peet appointment? Looking to bring in Sarg & spoken/speaking to Luke Gale. TL to go round again only if a Gale deal can't be done. Field and French both expressed desire to go home/stay in Aus and have permission from club to stay in Australia if they can find clubs/employment but are welcome back at Wigan if not. Hardacre has stressed the travelling is too much and is shopping around every Yorkshire SL club but no interest at all, don't be surprised at all if you see him at York for a year! General consensus from the club is that the squad as it is will go ok for next year and Wane will bring out better performances from individuals.

Until Field/French make decisions, we can't sign anyone else, which makes sense as to why we have missed out on certain OOC players in the last few months.

Sarge/Hanley FB, Marshall/Miski WING, Thornley/Hankinson CENTRES, Gale/Smith HALVES, Powell/O'Neill HOOKERS. Not sure what to make of it but I am fully led to believe that is the best we can achieve.
This is an entirely believable and plausible scenario. It’s also a clear indication of bad management.

The Field/French situation is ridiculous. Allowing the players to decide if they go or stay and so being unable to recruit until they let the club know their intentions is nuts.

They club should have required the players to make a decision one way or the other.

Obviously if they have contracts for next season the club can’t just rip them up so the players would have to ask to be released but the club should have demanded a decision so it could properly plan the squad for next year.

If they said they are staying and at the last minute backed out, instigate legal action. That would not be to force them to play but to seek compensation and send the message Wigan won’t be walked over. Fat chance of that as IL & KR are a soft touch.

The Hardaker/Sarge thing is also nuts but this reflects badly on Hardaker more than the club though I think it’s about time the club started enforcing contracts when it’s an issue like this. The club rescued his career and he should have no issues whatsoever in seeing his deal out. Simple as that.

I’d hope the lack of interest from the Yorkshire clubs is at least in part a recognition of why would they want to sign a player who treats a club that did fo him like that. Not to be trusted.

Of course the Wigan solution to this is to sign Sarge who is crap and has one good game every six months in him.

Taken as a whole it just beggars belief how the club has managed to get into this situation and the fact it thinks the squad put forward above is adequate also beggars belief.

KR needs the sack and if IL put the club up for sale so much the better.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If what is said about French and Field is true it’s a disgrace.

I just hope we have players lined up to replace them rather than only starting the search if / when they find other clubs.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:59 am If what is said about French and Field is true it’s a disgrace.

I just hope we have players lined up to replace them rather than only starting the search if / when they find other clubs.
Come on I know club is becoming a joke. But do you honestly think Wigan will leave it to them up to last minute not going to happen. And for what my opinion is worth French will definitely be at Wigan next season. Also wane will not be announced as first team coach could be completely wrong but as I always say only time will see who is right/wrong.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:59 am If what is said about French and Field is true it’s a disgrace.

Field is no great loss let's be fair no one knows what he's capable of or if indeed he is capable he's a mystery wrapped in a enigma,as for Frdnch I was surprised when he took his option up,do will he return who knows I know this much he needs to be in wigan a damp sight earlier than last season the club rightly gave him leeway but he has to return the faith shown in him
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

irl_warr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 am I was told yesterday evening that Wane is green lit to take full charge for one season at Wigan with longer term replacement coming for 2023. Club seem to think bringing Shaun back as head coach will please the fans more than a Matty Peet appointment? Looking to bring in Sarg & spoken/speaking to Luke Gale. TL to go round again only if a Gale deal can't be done. Field and French both expressed desire to go home/stay in Aus and have permission from club to stay in Australia if they can find clubs/employment but are welcome back at Wigan if not. Hardacre has stressed the travelling is too much and is shopping around every Yorkshire SL club but no interest at all, don't be surprised at all if you see him at York for a year! General consensus from the club is that the squad as it is will go ok for next year and Wane will bring out better performances from individuals.

I am wondering if we will start 2023 in the championship. I heard the rumours that we were building towards 2023 and sacrificing 2022 but I never believed that the club would be willing to drive loyal fans away. I could imagine us losing some of the young players just as they start to mature.
If the club is willing to let the players decide on returning or not something is badly wrong. I would not want disenchanted players but give them a deadline to allow for recruitment, something like leave now or stay for the season. Other clubs do not seem to have this problem with retention.
Sadly the longer this drags on the worse our chances of quality recruitment becomes and the more likely any new players will simply damage our chances in 2023 as well. Perhaps we are planning for when the club has to relocate to a smaller venue.
pedro

Post by pedro »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:44 pm

Come on I know club is becoming a joke. But do you honestly think Wigan will leave it to them up to last minute not going to happen. And for what my opinion is worth French will definitely be at Wigan next season. Also wane will not be announced as first team coach could be completely wrong but as I always say only time will see who is right/wrong.
yes
pedro

Post by pedro »

Levrier wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:35 pm

I am wondering if we will start 2023 in the championship. I heard the rumours that we were building towards 2023 and sacrificing 2022 but I never believed that the club would be willing to drive loyal fans away. I could imagine us losing some of the young players just as they start to mature.
If the club is willing to let the players decide on returning or not something is badly wrong. I would not want disenchanted players but give them a deadline to allow for recruitment, something like leave now or stay for the season. Other clubs do not seem to have this problem with retention.
Sadly the longer this drags on the worse our chances of quality recruitment becomes and the more likely any new players will simply damage our chances in 2023 as well. Perhaps we are planning for when the club has to relocate to a smaller venue.
I can sacrifice going for 2022 if the club are sacrificing the season, thats fair isnt it?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I've heard before this sacrificing 2022 to build the squad for 2023.
Doesn't make any sense to me as next year is the club's 150th anniversary.

This rumour about Wane being head coach does make sense as the whole squad appears to need a shot of confidence. Shaun will certainly give them that. Don't know about other people's view but I'd be happy with Waney back until IL/KR can find a top class replacement. Shaun would give me confidence in the 2022 squad.

Nothing exemplifies the difference between Shaun and the rest is Saints and in particular Walmsley's performances. He ran riot v Leeds and has had no contest run outs against us. Contrast that with Waney's packs against Saints. Any number of times Wal
msley left the field in under 10 mins battered, bruised and usually holding an arm or shoulder.
It's that sort of controlled aggression that our pack needs. I would bet anything that should Waney take over it would transform our game.

The "promote from within" or alternative "jobs for the boys" is a negative as far as us fans are concerned. Bringing Waney back makes sense and then line up a top quality replacement from outside for 2023/4.

As far as the Zac rumours are concerned, they don't surprised me one bit. The last time he lived over there it was a personal disaster for him and his clubs. Appears his reputation in the area precedes him and no one is prepared to take a chance.

Signing Gale could be difficult and it may take a fee to make Hetherington change his mind about Luke being there 2022. As for French and Field, NRL clubs have more or less completed their rosters for next year and neither player seems to have a club lined up. I'd be surprised to not see one or both playing for us next year.

Either way, I'll be getting my four season tickets for 2022.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Wane being appointed head coach for 1 year could be a genius move.

Appoint the England head coach as club head coach in a world cup year.

What more motivation do the players need.