Tommy going round again 2022

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Tommy going round again 2022

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

In terms of the youth vs experience we have Farrell, Powell, ISA, Hardaker(if he stays), Bateman, Marshall, French and Thornley all of whom youd expect to start so that's 8 players of a starting 13 who are 25 or older with plenty games in the bank along with Lockers and Tommy (if he did hang up his boots) as water carrier coaches

Thing is even if Tommy entered a time machine and went back 5 years he still isnt the answer to the question as he was never a particularly good Half Back. He was an ok half back but his major success both domestic and international was found at 9 not 6/7. What we could do with next year is a Finch/Dobson/Barrett type player someone who can control a game Tommy is not now and never was that player. If Tommy goes round again that leaves it to smith to do the bulk of the half work and i think this year showed he isnt there yet

Problem is as was said on a previous post fans can and could see all the issues Wigan have coming a mile off and yet the club seem either blissfully unaware or negligent and i dont really know what is worse. They didnt have a plan for lockers meaning he had to go round too many times, they dont have a plan for Tommy they cannot seem to think about a squad in a balanced longevity stance

Its a bit like the coach situation now, they are either keeping it quiet because they know it will upset fans or we are going into an offseason without knowing who will coach the club and yet theyve known lam was going for a long time.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I am mixed about him going around again, with Smith and Field you have some relative inexperience and Tommy there would/could potentially fill the gap if things were not going well, he can also fill in at hooker if needed, but it would take up a bench spot.
Also not sure if the club have a choice about him going around again, is the extra year in his favour or the clubs? if it is his then the club can't really make any realistic plans to sign another half if he takes up the one year option, they will have to go with Field.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

WarriorWinger wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm I am mixed about him going around again, with Smith and Field you have some relative inexperience and Tommy there would/could potentially fill the gap if things were not going well, he can also fill in at hooker if needed, but it would take up a bench spot.
Also not sure if the club have a choice about him going around again, is the extra year in his favour or the clubs? if it is his then the club can't really make any realistic plans to sign another half if he takes up the one year option, they will have to go with Field.
I know his season was a bit stop start but ive seen nothing from Field that suggests he would be a good half back also according to Wiki - Jai field has only played 23 senior grade games - he's 24, Oli Partington is 23 and has played 77
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

I have not really seen anything in Field to suggest he is our answer, he put a couple of good cut out passes in during the year but apart from that he never had a run of games to sho anything, but I think the club brought him in as our potential answer to the half back problem and if Tommy does go around again, finance and or quota spots could be an issue in getting another half.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:00 pm
morley pie eater wrote:I usually pass on rumours and speculation, but . . .
though I absolutely understand the comments on Tommy and his age etc and am not disagreeing with anyone . . .

* A big factor in successful teams is the blend of youth and experience.

* We shouldn't be where we are, but that's a pointless comment as we are where we are.

* If we let Tommy go, the balance gets worse. We end up completely destroying or undermining the potential of players like Havard, Smithies, KPP, as they're left floundering with little or no leadership on the field.

* I know we'll get the names from the NRL who we should sign, but given that we are where we are, who is available and affordable who has the requisite skills and experience? And even if there is someone, how long will it take them to settle in and build an understanding with our players?

Tommy may just be the best option we have!
You are assuming that at his age he can actually pass on his experience or lead the team effectively. This was not much in evidence last season. enforce his injury. At his age he’s just not much of an asset.

A blend of youth and experience and not the same as a blend of youth and past it.

I also don’t get the comment about how long it would take a new player to settle in and build an understanding with our players. We are going to have to sign a new half back sooner or later. It’s also no secret the club has been trying to sign one and we have the off season for a coach to err, coach the team to get this understanding going.

The problem is the club knew how long Hastings contract was for and knows how old Tommy is and has failed to plan for it. They should have had a new half back signed and announced already. It’s sheer incompetence they have not.
I don't necessarily or totally disagree with you Dave, but the point you make about the club's failures is a separate issue and has been more than well covered on this forum. We don't need reminding on every thread.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

Just been announced TL 12 month extension.
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mouse13 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm Just been announced TL 12 month extension.
Link please
Mouse13

Post by Mouse13 »

medlocke wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:43 pm
Mouse13 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm Just been announced TL 12 month extension.
Link please
On Twitter, been announced at the player awards .
Adlington ARLFC 1988-1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992-2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009-2011
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Its on the Clubs twitter.

Mind boggling decision and another classic masterstroke from the untouchable Rads
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Another Rads quote:

“Legends go out on their own terms”
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."