Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:38 pm
DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm This all hinges on how much influence Briers ends up with because Wane and Peet are part of the problem.
In your opinion, however I like this talk

On joining Wigan, Lee Briers said:

“I’m really excited for the challenge – it’s what dreams are made of. Wigan is a massive Rugby League Club in anybody’s eyes so to be asked to come and coach here is special.

“I’m really looking forward to working alongside the staff here. We’re all focused on one thing and that’s making Wigan attractive winners again. We’re on the same wavelength, we’re all aligned and we’re looking forward to the job.”
Yes your right sounds good. But I remember hearing lam saying same and going to bring a attacking brand and flare . Talk is just talk. But I am willing to back him and hope to god he proves me wrong but from what I've seen of him over the years not holding my breath. After saying that I spent Sunday at pilkington recs ground watching 6 Lancashire cup final games and every one spoke with great respect for him.
Bonnie Raithwaite 2

Post by Bonnie Raithwaite 2 »

Interesting, I have heard similar stories from junior players of Peet’s treatment of them.

He left Wigan for Sale in 2018 and didn’t last long, he left (was pushed?) amidst allegations of bullying IIRC.

All a bit concerning.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

Not inspired by the appointments of Peet and Wane, same old one out rugby more than likely. The only bright light could be the appointment of Briers, hope he influences some stylish attacking rugby.
Main problem will be the playing squad, a half back in Tommy, who should have retired 2 years ago and Smith who has looked lost and out of his depth this season.
Still not got a goal kicker either.
Hopefully I will be proved wrong and Wigan will play exiting open rugby and win in style.
MadMaxWarrior

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

Graham1 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:09 pm Anyone know length of Peet’s contract?
https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... 408208?amp
3 year deal apparently

I dont know what to make of this, I'm looking forward to see what Briers brings hopefully fresh face new ideas is what we need.
On the other hand was only a couple of months IL was moaning about losses and we were cost cutting, now we are overloading back room staff which is all outgoings whatever way you look at it doesnt make sense.
saint

Post by saint »

More chiefs than Indians ! What I see here is a total lack of confidence in the coach even before he has taken on the role. It is a cheap option with a bail-out clause with peet keeping the seat warm for Wane I see nothing but a disaster looming . I admire Wane , but I don’t believe even he could get that playing squad competing even in this dire league . I hope I’m wrong but I really think you are heading for trouble . The coaching set up along with the playing staff , things look quite the opposite of a build phase at Wigan. More of of a ‘ how we can we patch this mess up with a few bits of sticky back plastic and some glue . I honestly feel like another heavy weight of our game is on a dangerous downward trajectory . I really hope I’m wrong , sincerely , But is looks and feels quite desperate .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't have any problems with the appointment of Matty Peet if the club think he's capable of being a head coach. He's following in exactly the same footsteps that Shaun Wane did. If Peet is the cheap option, then so was Wane when he was appointed. We could have signed another assistant from the NRL but that's what Lam was and he hasn't been a success.

Who else could Wigan have brought in who wouldn't be a risk? No one really. That's the nature of coaching. There are plenty of examples of clubs going out to sign 'the next big thing' in coaching and looking for the 'exciting' option only for that coach to fail and they get replaced by the unfancied assistant who actually gets better results. Just look at the relative success Salford had under Ian Watson. He was the cheap option. He was working under a 'Director of Rugby'. He's now gone to Huddersfield and had a poor season. Again, that's the nature of coaching.

I know there was an argument that we had to bring in someone with new ideas but we did that with Lam and it failed. He was the one with the most control and it didn't work out. You could tar the whole coaching team with the same brush but is it ever that simple? Is it even fair considering Peet was primarily defensive coach and that was the only aspect of our game this season that was good enough. Lam was the one who promised exciting attacking rugby and at least during Wane's tenure John Winder had a lot of responsibility for the attack and the outside backs. They've both departed. The coaching staff will now have different roles and there's a new coach brought in who will hopefully have a strong focus on improving our attack. That seems sensible. Sacking the entire coaching staff doesn't.

The biggest concern for next year surely has to be the squad more than the coach. The best way to be successful is to have the best team. At present it seems like Matty Peet will be tasked with getting more out of less. He'll no doubt be expected to deliver trophies with what looks to be a weaker squad than the one that came before it. That's not something that's likely to happen. If we do somehow achieve success next year the coaching staff will deserve huge credit.
DaveO

Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by DaveO »

Lam was not brought in for new ideas so it’s disingenuous to suggest doing that doesn’t work. Lam was a stop gap for Edwards and when that didn’t work instead of going back to the drawing board and looking for a top coach IL took the cheap and easy option with Lam.

As to who else could Wigan have brought in who wouldn’t be a risk how about a coach with a proven track record? They don’t always work out but that doesn’t mean you don’t look for someone with a proven record on the expectation that they will do better than someone without a proved record.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

too many chefs in a very unorganised kitchen .how long is peets contract ?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Thinking about it a bit, here's my take:

- IL gives job to Matty Peet (probably cheap, no effort in scouting/attracting a proven coach)
- IL a bit worried about him being 37 and unproven, brings back Wane to take some pressure off him (quite how this will pan out if/when they disagree, with the potential to split the team, we will wait and see).
- IL then appoints SOL to appease the fans, and probably as he has been promised some kind of role.
- IL realises that attack is our issue, so brings in one of the best "off the cuff" players in recent years LB

That's it.

Hardly a masterplan.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont see why people as confident that Briers can do anything with our attack. Ive seen people mention his abilities as a player but i re-iterate Adrian Lam was one of the best half backs to play the game so being a good player in no way gives makes it a forgone conclusion you can pass that on.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure