Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:12 am I dont see why people as confident that Briers can do anything with our attack. Ive seen people mention his abilities as a player but i re-iterate Adrian Lam was one of the best half backs to play the game so being a good player in no way gives makes it a forgone conclusion you can pass that on.
I totally agree.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:12 am I dont see why people as confident that Briers can do anything with our attack. Ive seen people mention his abilities as a player but i re-iterate Adrian Lam was one of the best half backs to play the game so being a good player in no way gives makes it a forgone conclusion you can pass that on.
I totally agree.
Agreed, just need to see how it works out.

Also, what qualifies Lockers for head of defence / assistant coach? I get he’s done his coaching badges and involved with youth teams etc and had a great career but that doesn’t make him automatically an assistant or head of defence does it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:18 am Lam was not brought in for new ideas so it’s disingenuous to suggest doing that doesn’t work. Lam was a stop gap for Edwards and when that didn’t work instead of going back to the drawing board and looking for a top coach IL took the cheap and easy option with Lam.

As to who else could Wigan have brought in who wouldn’t be a risk how about a coach with a proven track record? They don’t always work out but that doesn’t mean you don’t look for someone with a proven record on the expectation that they will do better than someone without a proved record.
How do Stains manage to go out and get good coaches? Their CEO goes to Aus to search out and interview candidates, and seem to be able to bring in the best available. We have KR who trots out more and more excuses, and doesn't appear to bring anything positive to the club. The problem lies with him, not Peet, or Lam.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am
I totally agree.

Also, what qualifies Lockers for head of defence / assistant coach? I get he’s done his coaching badges and involved with youth teams etc and had a great career but that doesn’t make him automatically an assistant or head of defence does it.
What does? This isn't union where they are not just assistants. Surely if he's done his badges assistant is the next step?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 am

I totally agree.

What does? This isn't union where they are not just assistants. Surely if he's done his badges assistant is the next step?
Why though, surely if that's true then why isn't Goulding assistant coach many seasons ago?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think a lot of people are focusing on Briers because they know the club is desperately in need of new ideas and given Peet and Wane are both associated with the current issues people see, he's the glimmer of hope.

There would be nothing to cheer about without Briers appointment and I think plenty of people are excusing the appointment of Peet and the return of Wane based on Briers joining the coaching staff. They are ignoring whether he will be any good in the job. Which to be fair we don't know and will have to wait and see but really I think Briers has deflected a lot of flak for Peet being appointed head coach.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 pm
I think a lot of people are focusing on Briers because they know the club is desperately in need of new ideas and given Peet and Wane are both associated with the current issues people see, he's the glimmer of hope.

There would be nothing to cheer about without Briers appointment and I think plenty of people are excusing the appointment of Peet and the return of Wane based on Briers joining the coaching staff. They are ignoring whether he will be any good in the job. Which to be fair we don't know and will have to wait and see but really I think Briers has deflected a lot of flak for Peet being appointed head coach.
Briers and Lockers are intended to deflect the flak.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

I totally agree.
He doesn’t seem to have made a bad job of it at Warrington. Second highest points scorers in Super League in 2021. How’s that for a proven track record. In addition, he has played the game far more recently than Lam. Offhand, it’s hard to think of a more suitable candidate for the job.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:31 pm

Who, then, would be your choice of Head Coach?
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Bloody hell
Let’s give em a chance . It’s bad enough other clubs fans having a pop at us , let’s get behind the new set up and be positive! If it doesn’t work then we can kick, scrike n paddy
But not before a balls been bloody played . I for one am just happy Lams tenure is over.
Onwards and upwards