Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by Mike »

AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:49 pm I think people would be warmer to the Peet appointment if they felt it had been done with any amount of options appraisal. As has been highlighted there is a incredibly prevalent jobs for the boys culture at Wigan so it means that Peet's appointment would always spark a level of cynicism.

I remember when Wane was appointed and everyone was very happy with that because at that stage the club was bringing in external people and there was a feeling we had the best staff available I'm looking at the likes of bitcon largely credited with turning us around as much as Madge.

However the club has turned many fans into cynics with the constant stream of internal promotions and lets face it flat out lying to fans. The club is running things its own way and just expecting the fans to blindly follow which many will but many wont. You cant run a club on the whim of fans but you also cant run a club without one so you need to think carefully about how you deliver news etc, telling fans clark is the most destructive forward in the league is just going to make people doubt any other compliment you put on someone

I dont know if Peet will be good or not but i know he was here last year and we were rubbish, lockers was here last year and we were rubbish. So unless someone is suggesting that Lam ignored everything those 2 had to say then it stands to reason people would question the appointment.

I dont get this concept of you have to see everything as positive until its proven negative - people have the right to be concerned about the quality assurance wigan put into any recruitment. We have blatant issues that anyone who watches 1 game of ours would be able to list and yet the club have as yet done nothing to sort those issues so why would i have faith in yet another internal appointment made by the same people who think tommy should be playing next year, that Powell doesn't need replacing and we dont need a half back to replace hastings
What were the options available for appraisal towhich you refer? How do you know to what extent the club enquired as to the availability of a more suitable candidate than Matty Peet?
They'd probably be talking about an extensive search etc if they'd done much looking beyond these two options which we all knew about for months were the most likely.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 pm
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:49 pm I think people would be warmer to the Peet appointment if they felt it had been done with any amount of options appraisal. As has been highlighted there is a incredibly prevalent jobs for the boys culture at Wigan so it means that Peet's appointment would always spark a level of cynicism.

I remember when Wane was appointed and everyone was very happy with that because at that stage the club was bringing in external people and there was a feeling we had the best staff available I'm looking at the likes of bitcon largely credited with turning us around as much as Madge.

However the club has turned many fans into cynics with the constant stream of internal promotions and lets face it flat out lying to fans. The club is running things its own way and just expecting the fans to blindly follow which many will but many wont. You cant run a club on the whim of fans but you also cant run a club without one so you need to think carefully about how you deliver news etc, telling fans clark is the most destructive forward in the league is just going to make people doubt any other compliment you put on someone

I dont know if Peet will be good or not but i know he was here last year and we were rubbish, lockers was here last year and we were rubbish. So unless someone is suggesting that Lam ignored everything those 2 had to say then it stands to reason people would question the appointment.

I dont get this concept of you have to see everything as positive until its proven negative - people have the right to be concerned about the quality assurance wigan put into any recruitment. We have blatant issues that anyone who watches 1 game of ours would be able to list and yet the club have as yet done nothing to sort those issues so why would i have faith in yet another internal appointment made by the same people who think tommy should be playing next year, that Powell doesn't need replacing and we dont need a half back to replace hastings
What were the options available for appraisal towhich you refer? How do you know to what extent the club enquired as to the availability of a more suitable candidate than Matty Peet?
They'd probably be talking about an extensive search etc if they'd done much looking beyond these two options which we all knew about for months were the most likely.
Agreed and i didnt actually say they didnt do it but as i say we have developed a track record of internal promotions and re-hiring players so that makes you think Rads cant see outside the bubble of Wigan.

Also do you think Wane would be needed if they actually felt Peet was up to the job flying solo? Wane will dominate from the back room there is no way he can keep quiet and he's openly said this about himself so im not making things up. Im not privy to what the club do in the background but the fact they keep finding the right answer within the Wigan fold suggests to me they arent looking beyond it.

As you have to remember that these are the same people making the decisions to let Tommy go round again and to keep Powell as first choice 9.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Mike wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 pm
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:06 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 am

I totally agree.
He doesn’t seem to have made a bad job of it at Warrington. Second highest points scorers in Super League in 2021. How’s that for a proven track record. In addition, he has played the game far more recently than Lam. Offhand, it’s hard to think of a more suitable candidate for the job.
Proven track record of failure. Its always their year.
Attack is all about scoring points. The failure wasn’t his.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Wigan_forever1985

AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 pm
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:06 pm
He doesn’t seem to have made a bad job of it at Warrington. Second highest points scorers in Super League in 2021. How’s that for a proven track record. In addition, he has played the game far more recently than Lam. Offhand, it’s hard to think of a more suitable candidate for the job.
Equally i don't the Warrington set up enough to know that Briers was solely responsible for the attack. I would argue there is more to attack than scoring points its about making the right decisions of when to go for something and when not. He may be an inspired addition but not sure how much of his voice we will hear either way with Wane Peet and Lockers all talking
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:26 pm

Equally i don't the Warrington set up enough to know that Briers was solely responsible for the attack. I would argue there is more to attack than scoring points its about making the right decisions of when to go for something and when not. He may be an inspired addition but not sure how much of his voice we will hear either way with Wane Peet and Lockers all talking
So. It’s about knowing when to go for something/making the right decisions and NOT scoring points?
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

At this time of year, I just do a quick skim though this forum every 2 or 3 days, as there's very little real news and discussions inevitably turn into post mortems.

Are posters aware that you can set up a footer saying, for example, "Powell is useless and Tommy should have retired years ago."? Something similar appears on every thread, in some cases on every post. It would save your phone battery and reduce the risk of repetitive strain injury in your typing finger.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:52 pm At this time of year, I just do a quick skim though this forum every 2 or 3 days, as there's very little real news and discussions inevitably turn into post mortems.

Are posters aware that you can set up a footer saying, for example, "Powell is useless and Tommy should have retired years ago."? Something similar appears on every thread, in some cases on every post. It would save your phone battery and reduce the risk of repetitive strain injury in your typing finger.
when it stops being relevant people will stop mentioning it
Wigan_forever1985

AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:46 pm

So. It’s about knowing when to go for something/making the right decisions and NOT scoring points?
Very much so, trying to score on every play is not good attack, building sustained pressure is good attack. So last tackle play nothing on throwing a hail mary pass that has a 50-60% chance of being intercepted or someone going on their own when its not on is not as good as a neat dink into the in goal to force a repeat set and have another go. Attack is about making the opposition team play at your pace in the places you want them to.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:42 pm
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:46 pm

Very much so, trying to score on every play is not good attack, building sustained pressure is good attack. So last tackle play nothing on throwing a hail mary pass that has a 50-60% chance of being intercepted or someone going on their own when its not on is not as good as a neat dink into the in goal to force a repeat set and have another go. Attack is about making the opposition team play at your pace in the places you want them to.
But ultimately, it’s about scoring points. I’m not trying to be clever but if I were an attack coach who’s team came second in the points scored column, I’d be quite pleased. That being said, I believe that Briers appointment at Wigan is a big step in the right direction.

blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:52 pm At this time of year, I just do a quick skim though this forum every 2 or 3 days, as there's very little real news and discussions inevitably turn into post mortems.

And hear endeth the first lesson,thankyou we will all do as you say :lol: