Next season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Next season

Post by CheshireWarrior »

The presentation of the new coaching setup was impressive (and ofcourse it had to be).

The concern I have with Peet is IF he has been predominately moulded from working under Lam (as opposed to Maguire under Bellamy and Wane under Maguire), where does it leave us? Especially as most consider Lam a failure in 2021?

Regardless of a cheap option or not, if Peet is able to have full control and has his own style, it might work out well. Wane over his shoulder helps massively for me!

I agree about Harry Smith and Lam. Lee Briers is a good appointment, Adrian Lam was superb as a player and if he couldnt influence Smith, it will require a big input from Briers. Jackson Hastings is a huge ask to follow for Smith IMO.

French has been missed at FB and this hopefully is the season Field establishes himself at 6.

As for hope and expectations, I think I'm totally on the fence. For me and others, it's been well known about Peet so it's not a shock or surprise, rather waiting for confirmation.

Like with Lam last season, it's a results business, it's hard to be critical because Peet has no CV as a head coach. For me it's a case of week by week. What else is there? Atleast we have structure and are organised for next season! It's clearly been well thought out over time.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

All this talk....
It's very simple this one. The talk about the new coaches, the talk about the new players versus the ones leaving and all that's well and good but......

If we dont sign a classy play maker and Fields and French are not the answer.
We will not win anything this coming season or any other season for that matter.
Why cant the club see that!
CherryB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:46 am I wish I shared your optimism. I personally can't see an end to the current problems anytime soon, and certainly don't see the new coaching team or new signings as having any significant change.

Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm

He’s retiring!

For as long as I can remember that was a euphemism for "signing for Warrington"
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm

He’s retiring!
He'd fit right in here at the Wigan Warriors retirement home for older players. Or is he too young for us?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm Regardless of a cheap option or not, if Peet is able to have full control and has his own style, it might work out well. Wane over his shoulder helps massively for me!
Doesn't the second sentence complete contradict the first? How can he have his own style with Wane over his shoulder?

If Peet needs Wane help he's not ready to be a head coach and should never have been given the job. Him and Briers are either capable of dong the job on their own or they are not the right team to lead Wigan. It's like Wigan have employed Peet with a view to him having on the job training mentored by Wane. This should not be happening at a club as big as Wigan. We should be seeking the best coaches and if that means recruiting coaches from outside the club form now until the end of time, that's what it should be doing.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:26 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:50 pm Regardless of a cheap option or not, if Peet is able to have full control and has his own style, it might work out well. Wane over his shoulder helps massively for me!
Doesn't the second sentence complete contradict the first? How can he have his own style with Wane over his shoulder?

If Peet needs Wane help he's not ready to be a head coach and should never have been given the job. Him and Briers are either capable of dong the job on their own or they are not the right team to lead Wigan. It's like Wigan have employed Peet with a view to him having on the job training mentored by Wane. This should not be happening at a club as big as Wigan. We should be seeking the best coaches and if that means recruiting coaches from outside the club form now until the end of time, that's what it should be doing.
I wondered whether the reason Wane isn't head coach is so that he can keep the England gig
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:26 pm

Is it any different to director of rugby at other clubs?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Well it looks like the league is going to be restructured
Relegation drama for 2022
The bottom three teams in Super League could be relegated at the end of 2022 to accommodate the new system of two divisions of 10 from 2023. Leading Championship clubs are pushing to ensure that a promotion spot remains available next season – with a proposal on the table that the Championship winners would play-off against the team that finishes third bottom in Super League for a place in the top flight the following year.
Three (3) teams to be relegated!!!

Wigan best get off to a flyer or it's a relegation battle

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ru ... eLrKsWM5EI
Back by demand.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:15 pm Well it looks like the league is going to be restructured
The bottom three teams in Super League could be relegated at the end of 2022 to accommodate the new system of two divisions of 10 from 2023. Leading Championship clubs are pushing to ensure that a promotion spot remains available next season – with a proposal on the table that the Championship winners would play-off against the team that finishes third bottom in Super League for a place in the top flight the following year.

Will a 10 team league result in more money for those 10 and less overall for the teams below?

If so, it’s obviously a sign of focusing on the 10 best teams and quality over quantity of teams.

If that’s the case, why keep a salary cap?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:34 pm
buttmonkey2 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:15 pm Well it looks like the league is going to be restructured

Will a 10 team league result in more money for those 10 and less overall for the teams below?

If so, it’s obviously a sign of focusing on the 10 best teams and quality over quantity of teams.

If that’s the case, why keep a salary cap?
a question that needs to be addressed