Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan unveil new Coaching Team

Post by widdenoldboy »

Well, the new team has delivered for me already.
Appointed yesterday and I got £10 cheque from the Wigan Lottery today :D :D
jobo

Post by jobo »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm Well, the new team has delivered for me already.
Money won is far sweeter than money earned 😄😄
Wes

Post by Wes »

Coaches do well when players buy into their philosophies and practices, 6 grand finals out of 7 days tells me Peet has this quality and correct me if I’m wrong but numerous times on this very forum people have complimented both our youth and our youth team.

He’s no none sense and this comes through given he wanted Briers so the club went and got him, Lam had Winder who was a leftover. Wane may pull strings but given his success at the club it’s no bad thing. Sol is a club legend and deserves his job.

I’m happy with the set up and believe it is better than we have had for a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
saint

Post by saint »

stevo38 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 am too many chefs in a very unorganised kitchen .how long is peets contract ?
About 3 home defeats in a row ! I’m not hear to take the Mick but I see Wigan in a hole . The managerial options appear at face value as a blinkered vision or the only option available for financial reasons or whatever . The managerial set up clearly , or rather from the outside looking in lacking any sort of ambition , to me it is let’s give it a go with the safety net If SW . I do not believe for one minute , MP would be to comfortable with Wane breathing down his neck . Who has the autonomy over coaching decisions . I can only envisage chaos . Maybe it won’t be chaos though , maybe it runs smooth . If so , look at that squad ! It’s nothing short of a disgrace by Wigan standards . The ‘Pack ‘ is non existent . I hand on heart hope I’m wrong because I’m a rugby league fan and I do not want Any club succumb to problems let alone the like of Wigan . But you really need to look at Widnes , Bradford and so on . For the last number of years You have been nose diving . I said it In previous post the only saving grace is the league is crap . looking on to next year, the squad looks extremely fragile , the coaching staff , well who knows but if I was a betting man I’d put money on a worsening scenario that you are currently in and that would be a disaster for Wigan and rugby league as a hole . I hope I’m wrong .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:07 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:42 pm
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:46 pm
So. It’s about knowing when to go for something/making the right decisions and NOT scoring points?
Very much so, trying to score on every play is not good attack, building sustained pressure is good attack. So last tackle play nothing on throwing a hail mary pass that has a 50-60% chance of being intercepted or someone going on their own when its not on is not as good as a neat dink into the in goal to force a repeat set and have another go. Attack is about making the opposition team play at your pace in the places you want them to.
But ultimately, it’s about scoring points. I’m not trying to be clever but if I were an attack coach who’s team came second in the points scored column, I’d be quite pleased. That being said, I believe that Briers appointment at Wigan is a big step in the right direction.
I get you’re point but Warrington always came across to me as fast track bullies and never knew what to do when they weren’t running away with it

Also briers had

Clark and Walker now he has Powell
Widdop and Austin now he has smith and Tommy

That alone is a big step down in quality
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

"Saint" has comments which from their perspective have value.

That we appear in a hole probably seems valid from an outsider looking in. As a Wigan fan obviously I see it differently. That we have been in a downward spiral is just an inaccurate phrase.
Season 2018 we won the Grand Final in Waney's last game as head coach.
We then had the self inflicted Shaun Edwards shambles which ended with Lam taking over on a one year basis. The three years under Lam have been a disaster. He has now gone and the new coaching team appointed.

Saints had their down period when Cunningham was in charge. Their fans won't need reminding how they barracked and jeered their team then booed them off the field. Eventually an inspired appointment of Holbrook was made and with a change around in results the fans were cheering and applauding their players who they had booed only a few weeks earlier.
Saints have done well, two GF wins and their first Cup win in 13 years.
Whether Wigan's new coaching team will be successful or not remains to be seen.
The squad's problems have clearly been identified in coming out of yardage, front row who couldn't make headway, poor kicking game due to the two former problems etc etc. What cannot be legislated for are injuries. Wigan have them in full this past two seasons. Given a fair run of average injuries and suspensions I see no reason this squad can't compete with the best.

Wigan fans remember Brian Noble's tenure when he saved us from relegation and took the squad to being a semi final team. He was then replaced by Michael Mcguire who transformed the squad which had the same players plus one addition.
I'm sure "Saints" remembers well their 2010 Grand Final defeat to McGuire's transformed squad.

Peet has won six academy grand finals out of seven which is what was said about Shaun Wane when he took over from McGuire.
If he has the amount of success as head coach as Waney then right now most of us Wigan fans would be happy with that.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:05 pm Well, the new team has delivered for me already.
Get the beer in 😀
saint

Post by saint »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:11 pm "Saint" has comments which from their perspective have value.

That we appear in a hole probably seems valid from an outsider looking in. As a Wigan fan obviously I see it differently. That we have been in a downward spiral is just an inaccurate phrase.
Season 2018 we won the Grand Final in Waney's last game as head coach.
We then had the self inflicted Shaun Edwards shambles which ended with Lam taking over on a one year basis. The three years under Lam have been a disaster. He has now gone and the new coaching team appointed.

Saints had their down period when Cunningham was in charge. Their fans won't need reminding how they barracked and jeered their team then booed them off the field. Eventually an inspired appointment of Holbrook was made and with a change around in results the fans were cheering and applauding their players who they had booed only a few weeks earlier.
Saints have done well, two GF wins and their first Cup win in 13 years.
Whether Wigan's new coaching team will be successful or not remains to be seen.
The squad's problems have clearly been identified in coming out of yardage, front row who couldn't make headway, poor kicking game due to the two former problems etc etc. What cannot be legislated for are injuries. Wigan have them in full this past two seasons. Given a fair run of average injuries and suspensions I see no reason this squad can't compete with the best.

Wigan fans remember Brian Noble's tenure when he saved us from relegation and took the squad to being a semi final team. He was then replaced by Michael Mcguire who transformed the squad which had the same players plus one addition.
I'm sure "Saints" remembers well their 2010 Grand Final defeat to McGuire's transformed squad.

Peet has won six academy grand finals out of seven which is what was said about Shaun Wane when he took over from McGuire.
If he has the amount of success as head coach as Waney then right now most of us Wigan fans would be happy with that.

A great post ! And your opening statement may well be very true . You know your club far better than I do so fair play .

In terms of the ‘ downward spiral ‘ Signings, decision making and a seemingly lack of Positive forward planning along with the results on the field Is arguably getting significantly worse . In Saying this, last years grand final was arguably the finest game I have seen between two British Teams . How you retracted from that performance is beyond me .

The pack have stunted . The young blood appear to have reached there threshold of quality which appears to be Nothing more than average . smithies , Partington looked great as newbies but now appear lost , frustrated and flat. Perhaps they became senior players to soon ?Bullock was a shocking signing .Simply not good enough to wear a Wigan shirt and the theme continued . It all looked like a ‘ You’ll do ‘ approach . Batmen was a great idea to bring back however is hasn’t worked for whatever reason . The prospects coming In look like a continued approach of you’ll do’ !

I really do remember the KC years , it was painful . I booed KC and probably booed the team . However the frustration from me and I suspect most of the fans was directed at KC simply because we knew that was the source of the problem . The club acted slowly in my view but nether the less acted . Holbrook came , I actually became friendly with Holbrook though our kids and had the opportunity to speak with him regularly . He did keep a lot to himself As expected but did tell me about the process sainta went though with him . He was interviewed as was his wife and parents. Saints apparently was very keen on his man management . Not so much vision , but what has your success been with dealing with him , him and him Holbrook had regular support from a NRL coach or coaches , i got the impression he was being mentored and primed .

He immediately turned the mentality around and set the ground to where we are now . The signing continue to look strong with purpose and positive . As a result the next few years look bright. In a nut shell , the response to the crises was positive action , get rid of the dead wood and replace with our own ! As well as filling holes with NRL players with arguable only coote and Barba have risen to quality signings . I say that loosely in terms of Barba . The quality has come from within the ranks , a legacy of Holbrook . From the crisis we have brought success . At Wigan 3 years poor quality personal and performances . I’m sure you would also agree , you wasn’t overly happy for a few years with wane. I can’t deny you won a GF 2018 but the decline of Wigan start even before this . Performances on the pitch were declining . A failure to change means the result are the same or worse .

I can’t agree with you on you vision of your squad, yes a good manager can get the best out of a mediocre squad but I feel it is seriously lacking quality . Even at full potential I’m not sure you could Challenge Us or Catalan at this moment in time . It may sound pretentious but that’s how I see it . Depending what Leeds and Warrington do next year and of course Hull KR , You Maybe a little optimistic in my view ! However, you perhaps have every reasons to be . What do I know . As long as we beat you on Good Friday , I wish you all the best : )
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

last years grand final was arguably the finest game I have seen between two British Teams . How you retracted from that performance is beyond me .

Please, please tell us that you are joking........
saint

Post by saint »

Shevvylad wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:42 pm last years grand final was arguably the finest game I have seen between two British Teams . How you retracted from that performance is beyond me .

Please, please tell us that you are joking........
Perhaps from our perspective ) . I guess a statement like mine is open to debate . But that was a memorable game for me Was sad any team had to lose . I thought it was superb In terms of effort passion neither team willing to take a backward step . We wasn’t the best team , what won it was one moment of luck . In my view , A brilliant advertisement for the game . I hope Saturday is slightly easier .