Ben Flower makes shock move into coaching

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Ben Flower makes shock move into coaching

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors and Wales rugby legend Ben Flower joins the West Wales Raiders in preparation of the 2022 season.

Ben Flower won three Super League Grand Finals, one world club challenge and 2 league leaders shields with Wigan. The Cardiff-born prop won 17 caps, captained his country against England in 2009 and played for Wales in the 2011 Four Nations and 2013 World Cup. Flower made 250 Super League appearances, 184 of them with Wigan, where he won three Grand Finals and a Challenge Cup.

Flower commented on his new appointment with the club “ I can’t wait to get involved with the Raiders, the club has the same outlook on how big rugby league can be in Wales and I want to be involved in it, I am living proof that a welsh player can play at the top and I think there are so many more out there that can do the same and with my new position at the Raiders I feel we can do something special in growing the game both on and off the pitch.

Raiders part owner Peter Tiffin added “I am really pleased that Ben has joined us here at the Raiders, his knowledge of the game will be so valuable as he has played at the top of the game for so many years. Ben has so many fantastic ideas to grow the club further and wants the club to achieve much more on the pitch, his appointment is exactly the right fit in the direction of the club’s plans.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/ben-flow ... ing-44040/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Ben Flower makes shock move into coaching

Post by josie andrews »

Wishing Ben good luck & all the very best for the future.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

With potential two clubs from France in SL next year there really should be representation from Wales. And also Cumbria for that matter.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 pm With potential two clubs from France in SL next year there really should be representation from Wales. And also Cumbria for that matter.
Why should there?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:20 pm
Mike wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:06 pm With potential two clubs from France in SL next year there really should be representation from Wales. And also Cumbria for that matter.
Why should there?
Why shouldn't there?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Why should there?
Why shouldn't there?
Low quality teams, low fan numbers, small / lower quality amateur game?

Just because Cumbria has had good teams in the past or because it’s part of the UK that doesn’t have a super league team doesn’t mean they SHOULD.

Should there be a team from Kent?

Premier league football does alright without a Cumbria, Cornwall or Devon team.

If an area has a thriving amateur system and a huge fan base then it’s disappointing there isn’t a professional team that can make it to the top. But Cumbria and Wales don’t do they?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Why should there?
IMO it would be good for the game. It would create and renew interest in heartlands and realistic, close to home areas with great potential and general rugby heritage - especially Wales whose professional club scene has been reduced greatly in the modern era making room for RL. That's my reasoning.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think with expansion in Wales, London and Cumbria you need to consider reality.

Catalans have proved incredibly successful IMO (before winning the CC and appearing in the GF). They have developed, have a firm fan base and more than sustained themselves in SL!

London are certainly not the same as when Dickie owned them, full of top Australians. It's true to say they do provide players from amateur level, but now, that's as good as it gets.

Wales and Toronto, both seem like experiments that have failed and ultimately cause embarrassment! To me, it's well established Wales is Union, London is Premier League/Union and Toronto and NY......draw your own conclusions!

I think London has been tried for many a year and has worked at times, but long-term and overall and in 2021, the prospects of Toulouse and Rovers, inspire future stability, especially compared to a London, Welsh or Atlantic team.

Cumbria, if any team can find solid investment, who knows! I prefer expansion here. I'm not opposed to expansion in other areas, but reality must be maintained. If Toulouse have a model like Catalans and establish themselves, surely this is progress?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It would be tricky to build up a meaningful support whilst playing in semi pro leagues if you didn't already have a latent support base ready to turn up IMO. That really restricts the game to only a few areas, and ultimately to extinction. Toronto were COVID victims IMO and we never saw how that concept could work. A great shame.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

RL is just downright poor with expansion teams. Les Cats is a rare success.

The failure that got me was Gateshead Thunder who seemed to be going well for a new team but they then “relocated” to Hull with the Hethrington’s involved. All very dodgy.

RL in Wrexham didn’t last long so you just wonder what goes on the heads of those running the sport that agrees to teams like these being in SL and then letting them fail.

The problem with RL in Cumbria is no one would follow a manufactured team and so it’s back to whether or not investment in a side in Workington or maybe Barrow would ever become sustainable.

Wales might have the advantage in that Flower’s new is a club that isn’t manufactured in the way a Cumbrian club would be and doesn’t have old established clubs in the area who’s fans would sulk if it received investment. Whether his club is sustainable an SL side and is a club that could be used to have another go in Wales I have no idea.