Ian Lenagan offers insight into Wigan's latest recruitment plans for 2022

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Ian Lenagan offers insight into Wigan's latest recruitment plans for 2022

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors are not done yet in terms of new signings

Wigan Warriors owner Ian Lenagan has defended the club's recruitment for 2022 - but concedes the club are in the market for at least one more player, which is likely to be a new half-back.

The Warriors have confirmed deals to bring London Broncos winger Abbas Miski, South Sydney prop Patrick Mago and St George forward Kaide Ellis to the club next season. Former player Iain Thornley is also expected to rejoin.

But with big names such as Oliver Gildart and Jackson Hastings departing for the NRL, some Warriors fans have questioned the calibre of Wigan's recruitment thus far. Lenagan, however, insists he is excited by the players who are coming in, though he did concede they are not finished with their squad yet.

"One of the areas we need maturity and size is in the pack, and you'd barely call a guy who was just 18th man in a Grand Final (Mago) a Championship player," he said.

Mago is a very serious, big prop forward. He's only 26, which we think is the perfect age for him to join us. The two props we've signed, coupled with the great crop of youngsters we've got, is perfect for the future. We would like a big more strength in the backs, though..

But the winger we've signed from London is a superb player and we think that those three, together with Iain Thornley, who played in a Grand Final at Wigan and knows the Wigan culture.. those four are good."

When asked where Wigan are still looking to strengthen, Lenagan said: "We'd like to have another six in, a stand-off. We're still looking, and we have that space reserved in the salary cap. And you never know, there are always other opportunities which come around.

"We haven't had anyone leave who didn't know was leaving, and we're in a good place financially."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Ian Lenagan offers insight into Wigan's latest recruitment plans for 2022

Post by DaveO »

I read this earlier and it’s not really news is it?

We have known since the fans forum he’s been after a half back. What’s changed since then is Tommy going around again so does that mean this half back can’t be an NRL player?

No idea where he’s got the idea Mago is seen as a poor signing. Not seen anyone complain about the signing of the Aussie forwards but he’s not got a leg to stand on over Thornley. He’s just digging a bigger hole for himself over this signing trying to make out he’s something he’s not and never was.

Miski is also getting the kind of big build up Clark had and given he’s been running around in the championship why is he surprised some fans are skeptical?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 pm I read this earlier and it’s not really news is it?

We have known since the fans forum he’s been after a half back. What’s changed since then is Tommy going around again so does that mean this half back can’t be an NRL player?

No idea where he’s got the idea Mago is seen as a poor signing. Not seen anyone complain about the signing of the Aussie forwards but he’s not got a leg to stand on over Thornley. He’s just digging a bigger hole for himself over this signing trying to make out he’s something he’s not and never was.

Miski is also getting the kind of big build up Clark had and given he’s been running around in the championship why is he surprised some fans are skeptical?
I'm not sure what IL was driving it over Mago either and seemed to contradict himself - unless he meant he's not a UK Championship forward?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The point he was making about Mago, I assume, is to tell people that he is a very good player, simply because many people won’t have heard of him. The main thing I took from this is that we have cap space and we have cash and are going to get a half back. Which is what they said they would do, and what they have to do.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:The point he was making about Mago, I assume, is to tell people that he is a very good player, simply because many people won’t have heard of him. The main thing I took from this is that we have cap space and we have cash and are going to get a half back. Which is what they said they would do, and what they have to do.
Well it’s a funny way of going about it since no one has claimed Mago is a championship level player. Thornley on the other hand is and it remains to be seen if Miski can transition to SL.

As to the half back they knew Hastings was leaving at the end of this season two years ago when they signed him. They should have been looking since then for his replacement. If Smith had turned out to be a world beater they could have not bothered signing anyone but they have left it late.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

As to the half back they knew Hastings was leaving at the end of this season two years ago when they signed him. They should have been looking since then for his replacement. If Smith had turned out to be a world beater they could have not bothered signing anyone but they have left it late.
[/quote]

Last time I looked, we were in October. There is loads of time to get someone in. They have said they are looking to recruit a half back, and I believe them. I assume that these things take time, and am prepared to believe that they have been spending a lot of time working out who is the best available player. The one thing they had to do in advance - make sure the money is available - they have done.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Nobody in rugby league sees October as having loads of time to sign players. The vast majority of teams business is done in mid year, ready for those players to come in the following season. Whichever way we look at this, the club have dropped the ball IMO. If there had been a lack of halfback signings across the league than fair enough but Wire got Williams, Leeds got Austin and Sezer and Huddersfield got Lolohea and Fages. All five are better than the scraps left on the table now. Nobody on here knows the full facts but if the names rumoured are being considered, we’d have been better off with any of the five named above.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Maybe so, we shall see. And then one or other of us will be able to say I told you so. The most recent name I saw being mentioned was one I would be very happy about, fwiw.