The Pink city

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: The Pink city

Post by fozzieskem »

Perhaps the sadly typical inward looking super league chairman should concentrate on getting home fans arses back in the ground instead of relying on away support,you have French teams in your sport there is a chance they may be successful at some point.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 pm Perhaps the sadly typical inward looking super league chairman should concentrate on getting home fans arses back in the ground instead of relying on away support,you have French teams in your sport there is a chance they may be successful at some point.
OMG, with this attitide Super League really is dead - another massive opportunity and they just see the negatives...if RL is held back to keep the very least ambitious clubs afloat then it will surely die.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

My first instinct is always if Hethrington is in favour it’s got to be a bad idea but joking aside I’d really love to know why he thinks he and presumably all other clubs can cover his costs by selling corporate hospitality packages to Toulouse.

If he can, does he think other teams can? Maybe he thinks they should be able to but are there really so many corporate opportunities that ten SL clubs can sell corporate packages so they all cover their costs? Or is this a case of I am all right so sod the rest?

What happens if Toulouse are rubbish? Does the prospect of a one sided game in France or in the U.K. put corporate bums on seats?

And what about that figure of £30k costs per game? I know the Les Cats owner spent a small fortune on flying his team to the U.K. on a private jet so he can obviously afford it. Maybe Toulouse can afford the travel costs as well but that doesn’t mean the likes of Cas, Wakey and Salford can going the other way.

What about Wigan? I have no idea if Wigan make a profit out of trips to Les Cats and if they do if that is repeatable for trips to Toulouse? Wigan as we know made a loss and owe the government money as part of the loan the sport received for covid and I can’t see IL being keen on incurring more costs.

I don’t agree with the low home gate loss of revenue thing. If Fev had been promoted I am not sure you’d get many more fans travelling to Warrington, Wigan and Saints than from Toulouse if Fev were getting thumped regularly. So that’s no real excuse.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Toulouse being in SL isn't the issue for me it's just highlights the issue that's already there. The fans just don't turn up anymore and don't have the same level of commitment to activities and hobbies

The sport needs to find a way to appeal to the fans that have the attention span of a goldfish (most people below 35 these days)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:59 am Toulouse being in SL isn't the issue for me it's just highlights the issue that's already there. The fans just don't turn up anymore and don't have the same level of commitment to activities and hobbies

The sport needs to find a way to appeal to the fans that have the attention span of a goldfish (most people below 35 these days)
Exactly, the problem is the sport itself.

Football doesn’t struggle with attendances and that’s throughout the lower leagues.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:59 am Toulouse being in SL isn't the issue for me it's just highlights the issue that's already there. The fans just don't turn up anymore and don't have the same level of commitment to activities and hobbies

This is a major problem, and the premier league have engaged with Oracle to provide real time analytics and data (i posted about it a few months ago). Basically the premier league is looking at its next generation of fans, who are 1. socially connected (always on their phones) and 2. dont have the patience or attention span to be able to watch a game for 90 minutes.

so they are producing both proactive and reactive stats, but literally at the point that it happens. So if a player is running with the ball, the person on the phone (or other device) can see stats which can say that Player X may pass, shoot etc based on historical data

Meanwhile, RL, appears to sit on its arse and do nothing other than watch live and TV audiences decline
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:52 am

This is a major problem, and the premier league have engaged with Oracle to provide real time analytics and data (i posted about it a few months ago). Basically the premier league is looking at its next generation of fans, who are 1. socially connected (always on their phones) and 2. dont have the patience or attention span to be able to watch a game for 90 minutes.

so they are producing both proactive and reactive stats, but literally at the point that it happens. So if a player is running with the ball, the person on the phone (or other device) can see stats which can say that Player X may pass, shoot etc based on historical data

Meanwhile, RL, appears to sit on its arse and do nothing other than watch live and TV audiences decline
Are you ignoring the new real time stats that they are now showing in Super League games?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Are you ignoring the new real time stats that they are now showing in Super League games?
to be honest i couldnt tell you the last time i watched a game on sky, and i am talking seasons, not weeks

the general point still stands though. The premier league has made a significant investment for both fans attending games and TV audiences around the world. Are you saying that the RFL & Sky has done the same. Sky / PL approached Oracle to do the football as they know that subscriptions will fall over coming years if they did nothing about it
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm

to be honest i couldnt tell you the last time i watched a game on sky, and i am talking seasons, not weeks

the general point still stands though. The premier league has made a significant investment for both fans attending games and TV audiences around the world. Are you saying that the RFL & Sky has done the same. Sky / PL approached Oracle to do the football as they know that subscriptions will fall over coming years if they did nothing about it
So you’re making a point about games on TV despite not actually watching one for years?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:28 pm
the pieman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm

So you’re making a point about games on TV despite not actually watching one for years?
yes, cos i just need to come on here and read what all the armchair pundits say about sky. No-one has a good word for sky, so dont think i really need to look much further :)

and i still stand by the point i am making. We all know that the RFL are years behind the ball with most things, and are you seriously saying that the RFL / SKY are making that much of a difference with their coverage?