Out of contract - 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
blindsideprop

Re: Out of contract - 2023

Post by blindsideprop »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:49 am
pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:43 am with the signings over the last couple of years I doubt maybe they do....If they dont want to move on, they dont move on, simple, Thornley is on good money, why would he move away for less when he can just sit there until retirement? No-one else will pay him what we have...
You know what we are paying Thornley before he's announced?
Yes too much.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:11 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:47 am
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 am

No I wasn't aware they decided to start publishing players wages.
They haven't, he's not on a lot of money put it that way. Round about half what Gildart was on.
hes on a good wage, if thats the case Gildart was waaaaaaaay over paid, marquee money virtually
Gildart was on a lot, ill give you that. we got a lot of dispensation for him though.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:47 am

They haven't, he's not on a lot of money put it that way. Round about half what Gildart was on.
hes on a good wage, if thats the case Gildart was waaaaaaaay over paid, marquee money virtually
Gildart was on a lot, ill give you that. we got a lot of dispensation for him though.
we only get 100k for the entire squad for home grown players, so it all went on him? Doubtful as Faz, Powell, Manfredi, Marshy and the young pack would eat into that also
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:37 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 pm

we only get 100k for the entire squad for home grown players, so it all went on him? Doubtful as Faz, Powell, Manfredi, Marshy and the young pack would eat into that also
there's more to it than just homegrown dispensation. Can doubt what I say if you want.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained);

Club Trained Dispensation – Each Super League club is given up to £100,000 of dispensation for producing Super League standard players;

Player Welfare Dispensation – Each Super League Club that achieves the player welfare target is given a £15,000 dispensation;

New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;

Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year;

International Bonuses – Bonuses paid for international representation are excluded up to specified maximums;

Educational fees paid directly by Clubs are excluded; and
Prize money – Payments made out of prize money are excluded

only that would count for Gilly.....
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:07 am Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained);

Club Trained Dispensation – Each Super League club is given up to £100,000 of dispensation for producing Super League standard players;

Player Welfare Dispensation – Each Super League Club that achieves the player welfare target is given a £15,000 dispensation;

New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;

Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year;

International Bonuses – Bonuses paid for international representation are excluded up to specified maximums;

So like I said more too it... Gildart got a big chunk of that. There are a lot of homegrown players whose wage are not worth claiming against simply for the paperwork involved for a small salary, the club use it as a ego booster as well because in reality it doesn't matter whose wage you claim against for the basic homegrown dispensation.

I'm not wasting my day arguing with you, you seem to know what all the players are on anyway. Which is intriguing, because as a general rule the players are not allowed to talk about salary and the staff certainly aren't. All I have ever been told about players wages from within the club is a ballpark figure. Not an exact figure.

So Id love to know how you seem to know what Thornley is on before we have even started paying him.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

pedro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:07 am

Hmm - that is a bit low, didn't realise it was capped.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:40 pm
pedro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:07 am

Hmm - that is a bit low, didn't realise it was capped.
Will that apply to Thornley :lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:33 am
pedro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:07 am Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained);

So like I said more too it... Gildart got a big chunk of that. There are a lot of homegrown players whose wage are not worth claiming against simply for the paperwork involved for a small salary, the club use it as a ego booster as well because in reality it doesn't matter whose wage you claim against for the basic homegrown dispensation.

I'm not wasting my day arguing with you, you seem to know what all the players are on anyway. Which is intriguing, because as a general rule the players are not allowed to talk about salary and the staff certainly aren't. All I have ever been told about players wages from within the club is a ballpark figure. Not an exact figure.

So Id love to know how you seem to know what Thornley is on before we have even started paying him.
Theres not more to it is there....its what I said

so Faz and Powell wouldnt get a lot of it? Doubtful as Faz would probably be on more than Gilly
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

pedro wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:22 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:33 am

Theres not more to it is there....its what I said

so Faz and Powell wouldnt get a lot of it? Doubtful as Faz would probably be on more than Gilly
Gildart was on more to fend off original NRL interest, Wigan also massaged his ego by using a lot of the dispensation against his wage. Accounting wise it means nothing, but to Gildart the fact the club were prepared to use a big chunk of dispensation on him meant a lot, it was part of what convinced him to stay. As Ive said countless times he did have a 3 year NRL deal agreed prior to covid. That is not the deal he has now signed though.