Cade Cust signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_ITK

Re: Cade Cust signs

Post by Wigan_ITK »

This confirms he’s a quota player. Dated 28th Sept.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-21703538

Article also confirms following today’s news that with Clark gone and Cust in we’re definitely over quota.
New signings Abbas Miski, Kaide Ellis and Patrick Mago all obtain quota spots, as do Willie Isa, Bevan French and Jai Field.

In fact, Wigan now currently have eight non-federation trained players though there is an expectation that Mitch Clark will depart in the off-season.

But it means Wigan would have to move a player on to sign another quota player, with Jacob Miller falling into that category.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

How would the RFL register Cust if he took us over the overseas quota?
They just would not do it.
So, either Tommy is retiring or another quota player is leaving and is already re-registered.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Agreed Wiganer Ted.

Which takes us back to Dan’s post.

Maybe Field is on his way out?! Or it could be that Tommy is having to retire on medical grounds?

Next few days will be interesting…
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:While Isa is near the back end of his career I really hope it isn't him to leave, he leaves a Isa sized hole when he isn't playing and is extremely underrated.
He’s a squad player who every now and again has a very good game but I think last season showed his age is catching up with him. I don’t think he’d be missed because I don’t think he’s as good as he was.

It doesn’t make much sense to for it to be anyone but him or Tommy making way.

That said I am seeing some very cryptic comments appearing on facebook stating neither Field nor French are leaving and given we won’t be binning off new signings Ellis, Mago, Miski or Cust then it’s one of those two unless Wigan have pulled a fast one with Tommy. So I think Tommy and Isa are obvious candidates.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:43 pm How would the RFL register Cust if he took us over the overseas quota?
They just would not do it.
So, either Tommy is retiring or another quota player is leaving and is already re-registered.
They would refuse too, we need to offload a non fed player before the first game. French or Field, either or both is still possible
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We don't "need" to de-register anyone.
We'd have had to de-register an overseas players first before Cust was registered.
Although Cust has signed someone will have already left the playing roster.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:21 pm We don't "need" to de-register anyone.
We'd have had to de-register an overseas players first before Cust was registered.
Although Cust has signed someone will have already left the playing roster.
I have gone into this as much as I can. And from what I can see you can't sign more than your quota so I to think that rather Tommy is exempt or someone has been unregistered
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

We have Farrell, Bateman, Shorocks, Smithies KPP and Mc Donnald, all pushing for the second row, Maybe its prudent to let Isa go a season to early rather than a season to late. The logical thing is for Tommy's hamstring not to respond to treatment as hoped seeing Cade Cust covers the same positions as him. A 23 yearold against a 36 year oid is a no brainer.

If we let both Tommy and Willie go we could spend the marquee money I.L. talkd about on an Aussie / NZ centre, (unless people would rather keep Isa playing there ) as we would free 2 quota spots. The problem of Willie's new contract could possibly be solved by a season long loan to Tolouse. A marquee centre would also cover Hardaker leaving. The saving of the 3 wages ( Tommy, Zak, and Willie ) would help greatly with the salary cap
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:08 pm While Isa is near the back end of his career I really hope it isn't him to leave, he leaves a Isa sized hole when he isn't playing and is extremely underrated.
One of the young second row/prop could easily fill in I'd say. We have plenty in that sort of position. However, if he's contracted it not striaght forward for him to leave.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:46 pm
Caboosegg wrote:While Isa is near the back end of his career I really hope it isn't him to leave, he leaves a Isa sized hole when he isn't playing and is extremely underrated.
He’s a squad player who every now and again has a very good game but I think last season showed his age is catching up with him. I don’t think he’d be missed because I don’t think he’s as good as he was.

It doesn’t make much sense to for it to be anyone but him or Tommy making way.

That said I am seeing some very cryptic comments appearing on facebook stating neither Field nor French are leaving and given we won’t be binning off new signings Ellis, Mago, Miski or Cust then it’s one of those two unless Wigan have pulled a fast one with Tommy. So I think Tommy and Isa are obvious candidates.
Squad player?

Apart from last season he’s barely missed a game in years..to me that’s not a squad player