Isa 2 year deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: Isa 2 year deal

Post by Dan2266 »

So they’ve finally announced it months later, hopefully they’ll announce Bibby & Powell soon as well.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:03 pm So they’ve finally announced it months later, hopefully they’ll announce Bibby & Powell soon as well.
Maybe just best to accept those have signed and move on?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:03 pm So they’ve finally announced it months later, hopefully they’ll announce Bibby & Powell soon as well.
How do you mean?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dan2266 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:10 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:07 pm
How do you mean?
They ain’t going anywhere are they I’d presume they’re staying so I’m past the point of worrying about it,the one I do think is odd is Thornley if he’s here say so but Powell and Bibby nothing to worry about it seems to me
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Did they not announce Bibby?🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:31 pm
blindsideprop wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:31 pm Surprising how many people are satified with mediocrity, Isa is a decent second row forward and nothing more.At 33 he should not be given a 2 year contract, but the reason he has is probably because we are not looking to splash out for a better younger player.Isa spent most of last season playing centre, a position he has not filled for a long time and is far too slow.This one of a few reasons why we scored so few tries.Just another example of Wigan showing a lack of ambition.
Hope this doesn't have a negative impact on the young lads in thinking theyd get more opportunities elsewhere.

Moreover, this takes up a "non-fed" space so we are looking at losing one of Tommy/Field/French?
Isa has not been Mediocre for us though, granted he has not been a game changing 2nd row/centre but he has been far from Mediocre.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 am Did they not announce Bibby?🤔
I cant remember seeing anything Josie, that's not to say they haven't.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 pm Can certainly say Isa is worth atleast a 12 month extension, not quite sure on two years though.

If we retain and see the return of form from the likes of Farrell, Bateman, KPP and Smithies, might not see him feature much in 2023?

Good question of has he resigned as a second row or centre, for me, it's definitely in the pack (despite those who are infront of him).
This along with the fact he takes up a non-fed spot is why I find it odd a two year deal has been given to a player who turns 33 in January. In theory he isn't a starting 13 player so starts on the bench which is where you'd expect to see the likes of KPP etc next season.

I am sure he fits the bill of being a model professional and this seems to count a great deal at Wigan which is fine if it didn't appear to make the club blind to the fact players get older.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Purely from my imagination, but if I were "the club" and dealing with Big Willie, I'd have offered a one year contract on or near his current wage, or a two year deal on reduced rates. Good deal then for him and the club, surely? Leaves more cap space for signings.

Thinking about the criticism of Isa because he's no star or match winner, I thought about winning teams in the cap era. Takes Leeds for example: JJB and Carl Ablett. Solid regulars in the "all conquering Golden Generation". The fact that we current don't have a Sinfield, Burrow or McGuire doesn't make Willie a mediocre player.

Just a thought.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 pm He will be 33 at the start of next season and 35 when he enters the last year of his contract.

Re-signing players of this age is idiotic but the club keeps doing it and it has not proved successful yet. Lockers, Clubb and Tommy all played on at this age and proved shadows of the players they were and Isa won’t be any different.
Agree with those 3 players but Isa looks to be in great shape / fitness and is never injured.

Whilst not a starting second row with a fully fit squad he has experience and will hopefully be one of those who sets the standard at training. He also does a lot of community work which hopefully rubs off on other players.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."