Wigan Warriors overseas quota explained as Tommy Leuluai given exemption

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors overseas quota explained as Tommy Leuluai given exemption

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors filled their last quota spot with the signing of Cade Cust

Wigan Warriors were able to add new recruit Cade Cust to their list of overseas players – thanks to Tommy Leuluai’s longevity in the British game.

The Rugby Football League's regulations in terms of the quota ruling mean that each club can have seven overseas players in their squad at any one time.

The RFL simplified the rules at the beginning of the 2021 season to afford clubs with more flexibility in the players they can recruit.

Some clubs are already full on their quota for next year, while others still have room to bring in a whole host of overseas players if they wish.

Wigan already had seven ‘overseas’ players signed up before they announced the acquisition of Aussie half-back Cust last week.

The seven players in question are Abbas Miski, Willie Isa, Patrick Mago, Bevan French, Jai Field, Kaide Ellis and Leuluai.

Significantly, however, Leuluai is exempt due to a historical ruling which saw him made exempt when the rulings were changed. The exemption relates to Leuluai's previous time in the UK, having initially arrived in the UK in 2005 with London Broncos, before his 21st birthday. Though the current version of the rulings would see him classed as a quota player, it was decided Leuluai would not be judged on the new rulings and therefore Wigan did not need to get rid of a quota player in order to accommodate the arrival of Cust.

Leuluai is regarded as one of the finest players in Wigan’s modern history and first moved over to UK in 2005, when he joined London Broncos from New Zealand Warriors.

Since making his Wigan debut in 2007, the 36-year-old playmaker has etched himself into the club’s folklore having played 315 games and enjoying huge success in the cherry and white.

The scrum half has won seven major honours with Wigan, including the World Club Challenge and Challenge Cup once, Super League twice and League Leaders’ Shield three times.

In 2022, the former New Zealand international and World Cup winner will enter his 12th season with the Warriors and his 20th as a Rugby League professional.

Leuluai was named Club captain in 2021, but unfortunately due to injury problems, he only played 13 games.

He will, however, be fit and ready for the start of the 2022 season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors overseas quota explained as Tommy Leuluai given exemption

Post by josie andrews »

So that has answered all questions on this topic hopefully 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:07 am So that has answered all questions on this topic hopefully 😊
We can but hope Josie
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Thank god for that…… was a really boring thread tbh
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:09 am Thank god for that…… was a really boring thread tbh
Oh I don’t know,in my minds eye I saw certain forum members crouched over a desk with dusty Rfl rule books and a candle to see them by… :lol:
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:25 am Well I never. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, you never, you spent yesterday telling me its common sense that one needs to go because we have 8 and its breach of contract and all sorts " :lol: :lol: :lol: "
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

hallelujah....hallelujah, hallelujah......Haleuluai

Tommy Haleuluai

:lol: :lol: 8-)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

:shock:
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:47 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:25 am Well I never. :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, you never, you spent yesterday telling me its common sense that one needs to go because we have 8 and its breach of contract and all sorts " :lol: :lol: :lol: "
Yes because for months I have been saying Tommy was exempt only for you and others to tell me he wasn't I have even said on this thread that only way of not getting rid of one is if Tommy was exempt. Unlike you who has been trying to flog field to fit cuss in try squirm out of this all you want. I was following what you where telling us was 100%. My posts have said on many occasions I had done some homework and Tommy did not count on quota. You was adamant he was. End of