RFL makes statement in response to brain injuries and concussion problems

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL makes statement in response to brain injuries and concussion problems

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby league has been rocked in recent years with an increasing number of side effects and problems coming from playing the sport.

With Rob Burrow being diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease and Stevie Ward having to retire in 2020 due to severe concussion symptoms, brain injuries have been thrust to the forefront of the sport.

But, former Salford Red Devils, Toronto Wolfpack and London Broncos forward Olsi Krasniqi, believes more needs to be done by those at the top to change the culture of the game – effectively moving away from the determination to get back on the field regardless of injury.

“That was a part of the game I loved,” Krasniqi told Sky Sports in an extremely honest interview.

Essentially, you’re a gladiator out there and you’re entertaining people playing this great game. It’s given me everything I’ve got to this day, but at the same time it’s taken away a lot.

“Lads need to make that decision and be wise with it. That attitude of cracking on maybe wasn’t always the right thing, but it’s kind of what you were bred to do and if I can give any advice it would be think twice.”

Krasniqi called on players to think of the long-term benefits, not short-term gain.

“If you come off the pitch and you’re not feeling right, just put your hands up and there is nothing wrong with that. You might upset a coach or a team-mate for a game or so, but in the long run, you’ve got a long career ahead of you and even longer life.

The progress I’m making gives me hope there will be better things to come…I’d just like to see more progress come through from a governing body level.”

Meanwhile, Ward himself is fronting a documentary about living with his concussion issues after the former Leeds skipper is still suffering from symptoms 18 months later.

The RFL has, in turn, released a statement in response.

The RFL has been very saddened to hear about Stevie’s difficulties,” the statement read.

“The RFL has always taken and continues to take the safety and welfare of all players extremely seriously. Rugby League is a contact sport and there is an element of risk to playing any sport.

As a result of the continuing developments in scientific and medical knowledge relating to those risks, the sport of Rugby League continues to improve and develop its approach to concussion, head injury assessment, education, management and prevention across the whole game.

“We will continue to use medical evidence and research to reinforce, improve and enhance our approach as we have always done.”

It comes as a number of ex-professional rugby league stars have revealed their desire to sue the governing body over what they allege to be concussion negligence over the years.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/rfl-make ... ems-45561/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: RFL makes statement in response to brain injuries and concussion problems

Post by fozzieskem »

If nothing else I feel at worst a change has to come from the coach down in regards to concussion,if a player says he's OK maybe they need to question that more and if a player says no I'm not then that has to be OK too,the days of a satsuma and a dose of deep heat to wake em up under the nose are gone.

It's clear a court case is coming so they need to improve,the already good head protocols sooner the better
josie andrews

Re: RFL makes statement in response to brain injuries and concussion problems

Post by josie andrews »

RFL approves concussion-detecting mouthguards across rugby league

Initial plan was for use in Super League only from 2022

Guards will also be adopted down to community level

The Rugby Football League has approved the game-wide introduction of mouthguards that could detect whether or not a player is at risk of a concussion or head trauma. The guards, which were trialled by Leeds Rhinos this year, will come in next season and could provide greater understanding of when an individual is in danger by measuring through sensors the force of every collision they experience during a match.

Super League clubs have unanimously backed the introduction of the guards but the Guardian has now learned that the RFL has made the decision to adopt them more broadly as part of its Tackle initiative. The Women’s Super League, academy rugby and the community game will all benefit from the rollout, which has been developed in conjunction with Leeds Beckett University to try to improve the overall safety of players.

Concussion is high on the agenda in rugby league, particularly given the news that a group of former international players are planning legal action against the sport’s authorities over a failure to protect them properly from long-term neurological injuries as a result of playing the game. The former Leeds captain Stevie Ward announced his retirement from the sport at the age of 27 in January because of persistent concussion-related symptoms.

“The guards measure head acceleration profile and track impact to the head and rotational force,” Prof Ben Jones, who works for the Rhinos and has helped lead the study, told the Guardian. Other governing bodies such as union’s World Rugby have introduced the mouthguards but Jones insists rugby league is breaking barriers by rolling the concept out across an entire sport, including the professional and amateur games at the same time.

Jones added that the mouthguards were “initially going out across Super League but the RFL has committed to roll this out across the whole game. It’s utterly comprehensive. The Super League clubs have helped lead it and they understand the safety of their players is greater than winning a game on the weekend. They should be commended for that. They’ve been through a lot but they understand the welfare and safety of their players is the absolute priority.

“I think other big governing bodies will follow off the back of this. Rugby league is making an effort to look after everyone in one go. I would argue that rugby league’s commitment to this is proof that they are determined to look after their players the best they possibly can.”

Jones also insisted that as scientific research into concussion and head trauma deepens, further initiatives could become available to offer more protection. “I think rugby league is ahead of where it was, as is all sport in general,” he said. “You can’t just pull evidence out of the air, it has to accumulate over years. Every six months is better than the previous six months. The scientific evidence evolves over time and these guards are proof of that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... eague-2022
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan