Joel Tomkins retires

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Joel Tomkins retires

Post by josie andrews »

Former Warrior Joel Tomkins has confirmed that he will retire from Rugby League with immediate effect.

Tomkins made 237 appearances for Wigan over two stints with the Club, scoring 64 tries. He earned six caps with England Rugby League, as well as three with England Rugby Union during his code-switch.

Tomkins was a product of Wigan Warriors Academy and was called up to make his first team debut at the age of 18 against Widnes Vikings in 2005. He scored his first Wigan try against Hull FC in his debut season.

With spells in and out of the senior side, Tomkins became a first team regular in the 2008 season and cemented his spot in the side. In 2010, he lifted the League Leaders’ Shield with the Warriors and also featured in the Grand Final victory over St Helens to see him lift the Super League trophy.

One of Tomkins’ most famous moments in Cherry and White saw him score an emphatic effort on the Wembley turf in 2011. His younger brother, Sam, sent him away down the right wing and Joel had the legs to race 80 metres and score one of the great Challenge Cup Final tries to help Wigan lift the trophy.

Tomkins then left the Warriors to pursue an opportunity in Rugby Union with London based Saracens. He played 33 games for the London side, also earning three caps for England in the Union code until 2014 when he returned to Wigan with immediate effect.

A half-time announcement at the DW Stadium had the crowd on their feet as it was announced Tomkins would be returning to the Club after his stint away.

The versatile player, who spent time playing at centre, second row and loose forward during his career, returned for a successful second spell.

Despite losing in the 2014 and 2015 Grand Finals, Tomkins was part of the side to lift the Super League trophy once more in 2016 with victory over Warrington Wolves.

Not content with two Super League rings, one League Leaders’ Shield medal and a Challenge Cup medal, Tomkins also played in the World Club Challenge against Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks at the DW Stadium in 2017 where the Warriors claimed another piece of major silverware.

Tomkins left Wigan in 2018. He went on to play for Hull KR before joining Catalans Dragons in 2020. He recently played in the 2021 Super League Grand Final for the French side in what would be his last game of Rugby League.

Speaking to Wigan TV following the announcement, Tomkins said: “It feels like the right time for me. I’m 34 and Rugby League, and a bit of Rugby Union, has been my life for half of my life, it’s been 17 years now in the professional game.

“I’m going out on my own terms, which is a big thing for me as well. I didn’t want to go one season too long and I thought it was the right time to make the call at the time I have.”

He added: “I’m proud of what I have achieved in Rugby League and Rugby Union and I’m thankful to the Clubs that I have been a part of. All the players, coaches, backroom staff, media staff, catering staff – I’m genuinely thankful to everybody who has been part of my journey as a professional player.

“In Rugby League there is always one game that stands out as a highlight and that’s the 2010 Grand Final. It was just a magical year for me personally and Wigan as a Club, it was a transformation that year – Michael Maguire came in with Waney [Shaun Wane], they really complimented each other as coaches at that point. We had a group of lads who were willing to die on the pitch to get a win, we had that mentality to win at all costs and that was what we needed as a group. It was a perfect storm, I can honestly hand on heart say I enjoyed every minute of that season and to come out at the end of it with a Grand Final winners ring and for me that’ll always be the highlight of that season.”

Wigan Warriors would like to congratulate Joel on a fantastic career and thank him for his services to the game and his efforts whilst at the Club. We wish him all the best for the future.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/11/ ... s-retires/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dan2266

Re: Joel Tomkins retires

Post by Dan2266 »

The Adrian Lam effect
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Never rated him as a player in all honesty and totally disliked the bloke after trying to abuse a young female bartender……. I couldnt give a toss aboutthe bloke
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

mediocre player who lived of that 2011 try and the fact he was Sam's older brother
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

He goes out on the back of a grand final I suppose odd player to me he could have done so much more but good luck to him
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm mediocre player who lived of that 2011 try and the fact he was Sam's older brother
But that '2011 try' as you call it was a lifetime memory for Joel as well as me and many other fans even if it did facilitate his move to Union.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 am
medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 pm mediocre player who lived of that 2011 try and the fact he was Sam's older brother
But that '2011 try' as you call it was a lifetime memory for Joel as well as me and many other fans even if it did facilitate his move to Union.
I agree fully! Was the first time I seen Wigan at Wembley and it was fantastic for me personally.

As for Joel Tomkins, probably a decent squad player as opposed to average, during his established years though, the likes of Farrell, Hock, Hansen, Hoffman all seemed to offer more overall IMO!
pedro

Post by pedro »

he was the best second row in the comp in 2010
jobo

Post by jobo »

pedro wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:35 am
he was the best second row in the comp in 2010
He was brilliant at various times in his career, not so good at other times.

The aberration in the pub in Standish sullied his reputation, which is a shame as, apart from that, he's a top bloke.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 am
Same here. Even the Leeds fans near us thought it was brilliant. It's one of the great Wembley tries.