Wigan to face Saints at Magic

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan to face Saints at Magic

Post by josie andrews »

Details of the 2022 Magic Weekend have today been confirmed with Wigan Warriors set to face St Helens at St James’ Park, Newcastle on Saturday 9th July (4:45pm K.O.).

A fantastic weekend of Betfred Super League action awaits fans in Newcastle and for the first time ever Magic Weekend will be played in the middle of summer with the event taking place on 9th and 10th July.

The event will be hosted by Newcastle United for the sixth time, having first been held in the North-East in 2015.

Saturday kicks-off with newly promoted Toulouse Olympique facing Wakefield Trinity before Wigan take on local rivals Saints in The Derby. The first day finishes with a West Yorkshire derby as Leeds Rhinos go up against Castleford Tigers.

Sunday opens with Huddersfield Giants and Salford Red Devils before last season’s League Leaders Catalans Dragons play Warrington Wolves. The final game of the weekend sees Hull FC take on Hull KR.

Super League Chief Commercial Officer, Rhodri Jones, said: “It was great to be back in Newcastle in 2021, and even more so with fans back in the stadium. We are delighted to be returning to St James’ Park in 2022 and I must thank the football club, Newcastle City Council and NE1 for showing us so much support.

“I look forward to seeing the stadium, fan zone and city brimming with Rugby League fans again next year.”

Fixture format

Magic Weekend fixtures have been kept to the same format used in previous years, where teams are matched based on the position they finished in the league the previous season.

The formula used for deciding fixtures is 1st v 3rd, 2nd v 4th, 5th v 7th, 6th v 8th, 9th v 11th and 10th v 12th.

Ticket information

Tickets for the 2022 Magic Weekend will go on sale from 9am on Monday 29th November via superleague.co.uk.

Wigan Warriors Season Ticket Holders can claim a 50% discount on their ticket when purchased via the Club.

Fixtures

SATURDAY 9th JULY

Wakefield Trinity v Toulouse Olympique (2:30pm)
St Helens v Wigan Warriors (4:45pm)
Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers (7pm)

SUNDAY 10th JULY

Huddersfield Giants v Salford Red Devils (1pm)
Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (3:15pm)
Hull KR v Hull FC (5:30pm)

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/11/ ... -at-magic/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan to face Saints at Magic

Post by josie andrews »

I did post about this last week in the General Forum, but now it’s been confirmed & exact fixtures announced thought it as well to put on main page 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

So, we play them 4 times, at least? God help us. I hope Peet has a Plan B career lined up...
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Takes away from the Derby for me magic weekend has been a good match vs Warrington.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:53 pm So, we play them 4 times, at least? God help us. I hope Peet has a Plan B career lined up...
Stop being so pessimistic, we’ve not played a game yet & you’re already writing off the new coaches & players!

I agree it dilutes the Derby having to play them four times let’s wait & see what the new fixtures bring at the end of the week before dismissing the season
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:53 pm So, we play them 4 times, at least? God help us. I hope Peet has a Plan B career lined up...
Why do we play them four times?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I assume we will play them in the “loop” fixtures because we always seem to. I could of course be wrong, and hope I am, in which case Peet has fewer chances to see how that Powell/Shorrocks/Leuluai/Cust/? spine holds up against them…
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I think it's refreshing to play opposition that isn't Wire at Magic Weekend.

As for Stains, suppose it depends on how optimistic you feel about 2022 and how successful and consistent we are. If we do play them four times and win four times, who's going to complain?

I hope we do play Stains four times next season! Reality is they are probably still going to be the team to beat in 2022. We have to match them pound for pound in every and all departments.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:40 pm
Stop being so pessimistic, we’ve not played a game yet & you’re already writing off the new coaches & players!

I agree it dilutes the Derby having to play them four times let’s wait & see what the new fixtures bring at the end of the week before dismissing the season
It doesn't dilute the games for me Josie. I don't think it does for the teams either. Wigan/saints games-manner from heaven!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

It would be sensible for the loop fixtures to factor in who teams are playing at Magic to ensure you don’t play a team 4 times.

How do the loop fixtures get decided ? (I wish they’d just scrap them, I hate it).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."