Australian journalists slam St Helens as ‘scared’ following World Club Challenge latest

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Australian journalists slam St Helens as ‘scared’ following World Club Challenge latest

Post by josie andrews »

It’s been one of the main talking points in recent weeks, but the World Club Challenge looks to be dead in the water.

That’s despite St Helens’ best efforts to do all they can to host the Penrith Panthers.

The Panthers then, however, laid down the marker to St Helens, stating that they would only agree to the duel if Saints travelled to Australia.

Penrith CEO Brian Fletcher previously revealed on SEN170 that “I think we’ll give that the flick for this year,” in response to a question about whether the fixture could go ahead.

Melbourne Storm and St Helens couldn’t play the fixture in 2021 due to the ongoing challenges provided by the Covid-19 pandemic, and a meeting in Australia was said to be the only solution to see a World Club Challenge played in 2022, too.

The Leeds Rhinos were the last Super League side to make the trip to the southern hemisphere for a World Club Challenge in 2018 when they lost to Melbourne at AAMI Park.

Fletcher had previously been keen for another visit to go ahead.

And, two senior journalists Down Under, Andrew Ferguson and the LeagueFreak have also come out in support of Saints making the trip over, labelling the club as ‘scared’ if they don’t.

I think they’re scared, Penrith said ‘we’ve got the venue and the date, come on over and play the game,'” the LeagueFreak said on the Fergo & the Freak podcast.

“St Helens fans got upset when I started mentioning all the Super League clubs that were willing to travel to Australia with the likes of Wigan, Leeds, Wigan again and Hull FC all making the trip in the past ten years.

I pointed that out and Saints fans got upset and other NRL fans said it was weird they wouldn’t come.

“I ran a poll and 60% of people said it’s embarrassing that St Helens will not travel, with 40% saying it is totally understandable.”

The LeagueFreak went on to suggest that Saints have an easy task.

“Apparently their problem is that they want money.

I pointed out that Saints aren’t Wigan and Leeds – there’s a certain draw for certain teams and I think St Helens need to understand that.

“They have the easiest part, they just need to fly over, but I barely pay attention to the World Club Challenge anyway.”

Slamming the best team in the Super League competition is hardly the most conducive way to make friends in the northern hemisphere.

And, that last sentence provided on the podcast perhaps shows the attitude that most of those Down Under have when it comes to world and international fixtures.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/australi ... est-47338/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Australian journalists slam St Helens as ‘scared’ following World Club Challenge latest

Post by josie andrews »

Just had to highlight this bit 🤣

I pointed out that Saints aren’t Wigan and Leeds – there’s a certain draw for certain teams and I think St Helens need to understand that.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Australian journalists slam St Helens as ‘scared’ following World Club Challenge latest

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:22 pm Just had to highlight this bit 🤣

🤣🤣🤣

Cruel but true.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Good to hear from League Freak again.
Used to be controversial but nothing controversial about what he says there!

BTW is the Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher the guy who played for us some years go?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

No different person
moto748

Post by moto748 »

All that said, the WCC is a shambles, though. In a sane world, it would be properly funded, and alternate between Europe and Down Under year by year.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

moto748 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 am All that said, the WCC is a shambles, though. In a sane world, it would be properly funded, and alternate between Europe and Down Under year by year.
and i would also hold it after the season finishes, instead of a glorified pre-season game, but that would again mean that the Ozzies taking it seriously, and there is some form of alignment between the seasons
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And really,although it's a good laugh for us Wigan fans, I don't believe for a moment that Saints are less of a draw Down Under than Wigan or Leeds. St Helens are one of the game's most famous clubs, and I'm sure the Panthers guy knows that perfectly well. So, in effect, it's another cheap jibe and an indication of how they regard us.

All of us.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I doubt the team would even be given permission to fly to aus.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:23 pm I doubt the team would even be given permission to fly to aus.
Only if they can prove they have been jabbed or have an exemption. Have they lifted martial law in Australia yet............they surely must have done, their cases are rocketing.