French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: French

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:03 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:37 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 pm I think we are discouraged from raising issues around player availability in these parts. In answer to the OP’s question, I have seen nothing in any news reports since Peet saying that he and Hardaker may not be available at the start of the season.
There’s very little you can say on here tbf without being shot down or having your post removed

Just remember the key points

Everything’s great
Wigan and the best
Must not mention hookers unless to praise
Wigan coaches are never wrong

Anything outside of that might be met with discord
Isn't it the opposite of that. Anyone who isn't negative is an instant happy clapper and views invalidated.

Wigan win a game the forums dead

Wigan lose a game, 5 page long thread and multiple topics about each player and how bad everything is.
No, it’s not the opposite at all. I am happy to be a happy clapper the majority of the time, and for others to share the joy that our team has often brought.
When I have concerns, I am happy to share them and support them with reasons. And am happy to hear counter arguments. I happen to think, just at the moment, that we have considerable reasons to doubt that we are going to be entertained this year, in part because of the position we are in with French - where, honestly, I would have suggested he stay in Oz and find a club over there last year when his situation became apparent - but for other reasons, including years of Waneball and constant references to the “Wigan way”, and “hard to beat culture” as opposed to entertaining us.
That isn’t miserable for miserable sake, it is a fair position based on who are likely to have the ball in their hands most often, the evidence of last season and many years of Waneball.
Back to this thread, I think it is very fair for someone to ask what is happening with French, as I simply can’t recall another example of us giving someone indefinite leave of absence because of a family illness.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Although Bevan's very sad circumstances haven't changed the club's situation has because, each week, he is falling further behind the other players in terms of fitness/preparation. A difficult situation but I wonder if the club has a date in mind where they decide that they jut can't wait any longer.
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

I agree with the above and thinks its a very fair question.

Apart from a 3 month visit last spring French, having missed two pre seasons, has spent the remainder of time in Australia. All be it in trying circumstances which sadly i can relate too.

When contracts are signed by overseas players they obviously realise that they are 12000 miles from home and dealing with family situations will be difficult, however the key being they signed a contract to play and train with Wigan Warriors.

I agree with Exile Wiganer and can speak from first hand experience that its very unusual for organisation to grant so much time off for family issues.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Bevan just turned 26 this month. His mother is likely to be in her 40s or 50s. I would guess that, at the time of signing for Wigan, he wouldn't have anticipated the situation he now finds himself in.

To me that's the end of the story. Anybody who stayed on the opposite side of the world in these circumstances would deserve to be questioned or criticised. Bevan deserves nothing but our support and prayers.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree he deserves support, but my question is what that support should be. What is the issue with suggesting we release him and he finds a Sydney club to play for. Is he going to want to move 12,000 miles away any time soon? How does that constitute support? Very many of us have faced the same, and those of us who have not done so will sadly face it at some point. Having lived through this myself too often, I can pretty much guarantee that it won’t be fair to pressure him to come back until he is ready, and that could be many months, if ever.

As supporters it is perfectly reasonable to want to know when we will be seeing a player who appears central to our chances of success. The club could be more honest about it with us and say “look, we stand by our players at all times, and Bevan may not be back for many months: we wish him all the best, but we will be continuing with the season on the basis that he may not play for us for most if not all of 2022.”

In which case, with Hardaker’s neck, we will fielding sides like the one we are discussing in the thread on our initial starting 17 for a while.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree with you exiled wiganer ,your explanation is spot on and is the main reason that I posted,why is it always us who has to put up with this season after season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:39 pm I agree with you exiled wiganer ,your explanation is spot on and is the main reason that I posted,why is it always us who has to put up with this season after season.
What do you suggest Wigan do? Tell French his mum hasn’t died quick enough and to come back now?

It’s a horrible and difficult situation. Have some respect.

For all we know, Wigan and French may be discussing a release and move to an Aus team. We are all aware of his mothers illness, why he is in Australia still and what needs to happen before he returns to Wigan. Beyond that, we don’t need regular updates on this private and difficult situation.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I guess the way it’s been handled might have been different in non Covid times. At a time when he would be free to come and go from Oz as he pleased, they could’ve asked him to come back on the basis that as soon as he needs to go back, he goes back and misses a couple of weeks of pre season or a couple of games but unfortunately things seem quite complicated with getting in to Oz and the whole Covid situation keeps changing in both countries and around the world.

It’s a horrible situation for the lad and I back the club in supporting him through it. I’d love to think that could lead to him feeling it’s a place that cares about him and one he’d like to commit to longer term. We’ll see how that plays out down the line if and when he comes back.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:53 pm I guess the way it’s been handled might have been different in non Covid times. At a time when he would be free to come and go from Oz as he pleased, they could’ve asked him to come back on the basis that as soon as he needs to go back, he goes back and misses a couple of weeks of pre season or a couple of games but unfortunately things seem quite complicated with getting in to Oz and the whole Covid situation keeps changing in both countries and around the world.

It’s a horrible situation for the lad and I back the club in supporting him through it. I’d love to think that could lead to him feeling it’s a place that cares about him and one he’d like to commit to longer term. We’ll see how that plays out down the line if and when he comes back.
Yes.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Suzieb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:39 pm I agree with you exiled wiganer ,your explanation is spot on and is the main reason that I posted,why is it always us who has to put up with this season after season.
What do you suggest Wigan do? Tell French his mum hasn’t died quick enough and to come back now?

It’s a horrible and difficult situation. Have some respect.

For all we know, Wigan and French may be discussing a release and move to an Aus team. We are all aware of his mothers illness, why he is in Australia still and what needs to happen before he returns to Wigan. Beyond that, we don’t need regular updates on this private and difficult situation.
That's not what she meant and you know it. Why pick on this poster 3 other posters on here has said same thing in a roundabout way. Hate the wolf pack mentality on here. The poster is quite entitled to ask same question as many times as they feel they need to and never once said anything to imply she has no empathy for Bevan. She simply asking a question thousands of fans are wondering. I await childish replies.