Team for first league game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Team for first league game

Post by NICKYKISS »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:24 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 pm Our squad is much changed and there are many spots up for grabs, which means it’s pretty impossible for us to guess what our 17 will be. I don’t particularly see that as a bad thing for us because if we can’t guess much, it’s not going to be easy for opposition coaching teams to plan how to play against us.

They’ll get an idea from the Wire friendly but you’d imagine we’ll mix things around in that game and you’re not going to have much to go off. We’ve a new coaching team and people won’t know much about the likes of Field, Cust, Ellis and Mago. I appreciate we ourselves could be disjointed due to the changes but it can work both ways.

As for our team I’ve seen a couple of comments about people being surprised some are leaving KPP out. We’ll defo see Isa, Farrell and Bateman in the 17, so I think you’re looking at probably one spot between KPP, Shorrocks and Smithies. It’ll be tight that call for sure but I could see KPP missing out. I certainly don’t yet see him as the nailed on starter some others seem to think he is (he will be soon enough mind but not quite yet).
I’d have KPP and shorrocks ahead of both smithies and partington
It’s a close call between all 4. I suppose KPP isn’t really up against Shorrocks or Partington and maybe not even Smithies if they’re going to count the latter 3 as middles.

I’ll probably reserve judgment for a month or two of the season and see how they all shape up. I expect big improvements from lots of players and with spots up for grabs and some good depth (even if they’re a little young) you’d like to think we’ll see those 4 and a few others going hell for leather for a spot.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have realised I misread an article about French and Hardaker, as I thought Peet had said Hardaker would be available when he is available. Actually, that only applied to French. Sorry about that. I also thought that Smith was going to miss the start of the season, and I couldn’t find any authority for that, so I will put it down to the voices in my head. Hardaker makes a huge difference to us, I think... and so, here’s my revised draft team... I know it won’t be anything like the actual team, and that Peet is entitled to pick whoever he likes

Field - Bibby - Hardaker - Thornley - Marshall - Cust - Smith (goal kicking duties)
Mago - Leuluai - Singleton - Faz - Isa - Bateman
KPP - Havard - Smithies - Ellis

There is a lot of choice, and probably all of us could pick a side and still all be wrong. Nervous/exciting times.
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

I think this will be a really good season.

We have signed some wild cards I believe and have a decent back room team pulling everyone together.

Cade Cust was last time I looked the favourite to be the man of steel so guessing he’s got something about him.

Wish we could / would have signed jake Mamo for a bit of flair…

I travel to watch the games from Staffordshire where we know nothing about rugby league so the above is prob a load for rubbish lol :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

adam0026 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:21 pm
I travel to watch the games from Staffordshire where we know nothing about rugby league so the above is prob a load for rubbish lol :)
Do you ever go to the Wimpy Bar in Milford? :D
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

Yes lol!!!!

Best burger in Stafford!!!!!! :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

aye, not bad like :D
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

How would you even know the place???

I sometimes take my partner for a treat as it’s about 4 times more expensive than McDonald’s
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

adam0026 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 pm How would you even know the place???

I sometimes take my partner for a treat as it’s about 4 times more expensive than McDonald’s
passed through their once on a trip from Telford to Bridlington, wanted to visit Ashby de la Zouch so ended up going through there, been back once or twice, love the squirrel population in the woods at the common carpark :D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Back on topic, Really hoping that all our new signings get a run out, the prospect of KPP and Silva tearing up the field has got my mouth watering
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Unlikely French is going to be back and there are doubts over Hardakers fitness are there not? If both of those are missing the winger/centre/full back slots are pretty poor. Of the contenders for these positions only Marshall would attract the interest of any other SL club. The rest are either unproven (Miski) or average to poor and may well end up being played out of position e.g. Bibby in the centre.