French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: French

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:13 pm The problem as I see it is Bevan is strongly linked with a return to the NRL in 2023. If he'd committed to Wigan on another two year deal or similar repaying the club for the way it has handled this then fine, the club could continue having him on the books as a Wigan player on extended compassionate leave with the expectation he will be back at some point.

If he's going to an NRL club in 2023 I do not understand why, given the situation he's in, the club has not agreed a release and why it hasn't sought to find another strike player to help the attack. We are in danger of everything going through our star half back again which is easy to shut down. I can only assume they expect him back sooner rather than later but then given the poor squad management the club has shown over recent years I don't think it's surprising fans are concerned this situation is just being left to drift.
I think at some point the nettle has to be grasped if he needs tge year then fine give him the year and he comes back next year if not then release him,horrid postion to be in that's for sure
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

We are constantly reminded by some posters on here that rugby league is a "salary capped sport".

Does Bevan count on this season's salary cap?

Does Bevan count as one of this season's overseas players?

If the answer is "yes" then the club should give him all the moral support it can. However this is a "salary capped sport" and we cannot have one of our main strike players spend the majority of the season either injured or in Australia as happened last season.

Like it or not, this is NOT the same as working for an "ordinary" business. Your wages do not count on a cap. You are not part of any quota. You are more than likely covered by others who are promoted or brought in. Wigan can do neither as it stands.

If Bevan cannot give any timeline for returning then he needs to be honest with the club and ask for a release so the club can move forward. Bevan can then stop worrying about fulfilling a contract he cannot guarantee due to his personal circumstances. He can look after his family and when the time is right, look elsewhere for future employment. We as a club can move on ourselves rather than wait on every bit of news "is he isn't he coming back". It is redundant now and with the season weeks away now rather than months - a decision must be made
Back by demand.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:56 pm We are constantly reminded by some posters on here that rugby league is a "salary capped sport".

Does Bevan count on this season's salary cap?

Does Bevan count as one of this season's overseas players?

If the answer is "yes" then the club should give him all the moral support it can. However this is a "salary capped sport" and we cannot have one of our main strike players spend the majority of the season either injured or in Australia as happened last season.

Like it or not, this is NOT the same as working for an "ordinary" business. Your wages do not count on a cap. You are not part of any quota. You are more than likely covered by others who are promoted or brought in. Wigan can do neither as it stands.

If Bevan cannot give any timeline for returning then he needs to be honest with the club and ask for a release so the club can move forward. Bevan can then stop worrying about fulfilling a contract he cannot guarantee due to his personal circumstances. He can look after his family and when the time is right, look elsewhere for future employment. We as a club can move on ourselves rather than wait on every bit of news "is he isn't he coming back". It is redundant now and with the season weeks away now rather than months - a decision must be made
And the answer to this surely must dictate the approach.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Thinking about the cap space point, I would have thought there should be an argument that you can get an exemption on compassionate grounds.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm Thinking about the cap space point, I would have thought there should be an argument that you can get an exemption on compassionate grounds.
I think you can but don’t quote me 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:37 pm Thinking about the cap space point, I would have thought there should be an argument that you can get an exemption on compassionate grounds.
I'd imagine we can dereigster him if we want, but that would mean we wouldn't be able to re-register him if we had a replacement on the books, unless they were willing to take a contract where they would be replaced at some undefinde point - like a 0 hours contract or something! Its not a workable situation IMO, unless we're talking about a short-term loan or something.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

it will be too late now to replace him with any type of quality, plus who pays for both the wages? Its a shambles, the club knew last year but gave him another contract....another **** up
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pedro wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm
it will be too late now to replace him with any type of quality, plus who pays for both the wages? Its a shambles, the club knew last year but gave him another contract....another **** up
Wasn’t it Bevan who invoked the extra year in his contract?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

One way to look at it.

The again people said the same about injured Tomkins and the same people then changed to complain we didn't try our hardest to keep him.

Basically the club is dammed if they do dammed if they don't.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 pm
Wasn’t it Bevan who invoked the extra year in his contract?
It was yes, not sure what Pedro is talking about.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."