And you think RL is struggling . . . ?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

And you think RL is struggling . . . ?

Post by morley pie eater »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -breakdown

Below the millionaire owned Premiership clubs, it seems RU is in steep decline.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Re: And you think RL is struggling . . . ?

Post by Barney841 »

You’ll never beat unions international game
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:07 pm You’ll never beat unions international game
Sadly, we have kicked our very best International games, such as Kangaroo/Lions tours into the long grass.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:07 pm You’ll never beat unions international game
That’s the goose that lays the golden eggs for sure..I wonder if both codes grassroots game is suffering because it’s a contact sport?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Completely agree.

I wonder how many support national game but don’t follow domestically versus those that do.

It will be staggering.

When the 6 nations are on, all of the pubs in london are jam packed more than when football is on
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’ll put my hand up and say I’m not that interested in our international game unless we’re playing a decent team.
I know that doesn’t sound like a great attitude but I hate one sided games, there’s not enough competitive games in our international game.
That shows with the lack of interest
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Would take a few years to take off but could we not revive the Lancashire -Yorkshire games back with a third team from other nationalities .
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

jaws1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:00 am
Would take a few years to take off but could we not revive the Lancashire -Yorkshire games back with a third team from other nationalities .
unfortunately Lancs v Yorks has never worked in this country. If it was state of origin like, then i am sure all fans would be up for it, but it is always treated like an afterthought

in regards to the international game IMO we need to get back to a proper GB team (yes i accept it is primarily English players), but support the development of the lesser nations. A RL 5 / 6 nations to include England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France (unsure if any of the other Euro nations are developed enough to enter it yet) would be a good starter to make international RL relevant over here. We then have GB to play the Ozzies, Kiwis, Tonga etc. It needs a medium to long term plan with buy in from all nations, and then stick to it, even if there are some crappy games / crowds. The last World cup over here showed that games played in the right places will attract good crowds, so we need to use that to help develop the international game
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

the pieman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:26 pm
jaws1 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:00 am
unfortunately Lancs v Yorks has never worked in this country. If it was state of origin like, then i am sure all fans would be up for it, but it is always treated like an afterthought

in regards to the international game IMO we need to get back to a proper GB team (yes i accept it is primarily English players), but support the development of the lesser nations. A RL 5 / 6 nations to include England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France (unsure if any of the other Euro nations are developed enough to enter it yet) would be a good starter to make international RL relevant over here. We then have GB to play the Ozzies, Kiwis, Tonga etc. It needs a medium to long term plan with buy in from all nations, and then stick to it, even if there are some crappy games / crowds. The last World cup over here showed that games played in the right places will attract good crowds, so we need to use that to help develop the international game
7 European teams have qualified for this year so a potential RL European Cup if the other nations can develop enough
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

The article says a lot and nothing. Absolutely no substance or facts in there. The grassroots game is strong. Many clubs in the lower leagues are actually making a profit. My local club I played for as a youngster has at least 4 teams playing every Saturday and has a thriving youth set up from u6s right up to u15s then junior and senior academy sides playing on Sundays. Every single player, youth or senior, pays a membership fee. This has been going for as long as I can remember and is going just as strong now as when I joined as a youth in the early 90s. And along with that, a lot of lower league clubs in the same area are exactly the same.

The top teams in the premiership however are struggling, especially since covid. But that's sport as a whole.
RU, despite how many on here will wish, is still flourishing. The premiership is one of, if not, the best league in the world currently. Grassroots clubs have been back for a while and are as strong as ever. Meanwhile the International game will always be a major draw in the UK.

I believe whoever wrote the article is very anti RU.