French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dan2266

Re: French

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:18 pm
pedro wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

it will be too late now to replace him with any type of quality, plus who pays for both the wages? Its a shambles, the club knew last year but gave him another contract....another **** up
Wasn’t it Bevan who invoked the extra year in his contract?
It was yes, not sure what Pedro is talking about.

Not sure of the current situation, but I did say about a month or so ago, that Bevan had communicated he wanted to trigger the clause, but he had not physically signed the paperwork off the back of it…. Ive been saying for months theres a strong possibility he wont be back, however Ive not heard anything recently so couldn't comment on the current rumours
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Would we be paying him if he didn't have an employment contract? Regardless of his intention to come back or not, I wouldn't have thought we'd be doing that without some signed paperwork. Surely the RFL wouldn't accept him as a registered player without a contract?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:40 pm Would we be paying him if he didn't have an employment contract? Regardless of his intention to come back or not, I wouldn't have thought we'd be doing that without some signed paperwork. Surely the RFL wouldn't accept him as a registered player without a contract?
Who knows what the RFL are capable of!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 pm
Mike wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:40 pm Would we be paying him if he didn't have an employment contract? Regardless of his intention to come back or not, I wouldn't have thought we'd be doing that without some signed paperwork. Surely the RFL wouldn't accept him as a registered player without a contract?
Logic suggests he has a deal with Wigan or else he could offski as and when he chose no?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Id assume the same, at the timing of me knowing about the extension not being signed, he was still under contract by way of the original agreed length, so was in effect in the final year before the option was available. Like I say it may well of all changed but Ive not heard anything recently so wouldn't like to say if it has been signed or not
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:04 pm
Logic suggests he has a deal with Wigan or else he could offski as and when he chose no?
TBF, I don't see him doing that as he wants to redeem for the GF and missing most of last season. A point could be made that its just not going to be possible.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

widdenoldboy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:01 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:04 pm

TBF, I don't see him doing that as he wants to redeem for the GF and missing most of last season. A point could be made that its just not going to be possible.
But surely it's not just up to the player with what he wants to do? He might want to redeem himself but the club needs to redeem itself in the eyes of many fans following on from some awful RL in recent seasons, no Challenge Cup win since 2013 and no GF win since 2018. I don't see how not addressing the French situation helps it do that. The club needs to have him available for a substantial part of the season or if that isn't possible it needs to use the cap money on another player. There should be a deadline for his return and the club should be scouting for potential replacements in case that deadline is reached. As others have pointed out this is a salary capped sport with quotas and so having a player on a seemingly open ended compassionate leave is not the same as in ordinary employment.
pedro

Post by pedro »

pedro wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:59 pm

it will be too late now to replace him with any type of quality, plus who pays for both the wages? Its a shambles, the club knew last year but gave him another contract....another **** up
im sure if we refused him keep going to Aus then he wouldnt have signed this or invoked it, its a terrible position for Bevan but the club needs to sort it as him missing 1 game is 1 game too many after the shambles that he offered last year
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am

im sure if we refused him keep going to Aus then he wouldnt have signed this or invoked it, its a terrible position for Bevan but the club needs to sort it as him missing 1 game is 1 game too many after the shambles that he offered last year
So you think the club should not of allowed him to return to Australia on compassionate grounds?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:18 am
pedro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am

So you think the club should not of allowed him to return to Australia on compassionate grounds?
not for so long no