The reserves..good idea?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: The reserves..good idea?

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:09 am
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:49 am I’ve always been a supporter of the rs]ever e grade it gets players game time and allows them,hopefully if used right a way back from injury instead of being thrown back in so speaking for myself I would love to see it back and thriving but still questions remain are there enough player s to run the comp? I’m not sure there is but we shall see of course,Covid I agree is here to stay and as Nicky points out there are gaps in games that will help out but if Covid strikes a club I just feel the comp will suffer.

Don’t get me wrong it should be back but I feel it’ll end in tears.
i think that is why they have alternated weeks with the senior academy matches, to ensure that resources arent spread too thinly whilst it gets back off the ground

i like yourself believe that all teams should have a reserve grade, and academy teams to give players a pathway into the senior side, provide regular competition for fringe / squad players and a route back from injury (as in the old A-team)

there are some very short sighted clubs / owners around at the minute, looking at such a small view of the game
Spot on but I wonder if the idea clubs will be penalised with a 48-0 loss if they fail to fulfil a fixture plus potentially having to compensate the other team is what is driving the apparent reticence of some clubs to get with the reserve program? Players can't play twice in a week and so they may want to keep their reserves in hand in case they need to replace first teamers out with covid.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Having a pool of players available if covid strikes would seem a strong reason for having reserves.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Good idea? yes.

Not sure why they were cancelled but that looks like the best decision ever as Covid struck.

Fingers crossed, they will be possible this season and an opportunity for us to bring on the talented U19s and rehab any injured seniors.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I went to watch Newcastle U23's before Christmas as a relative plays for them. It was on a Monday night next to the training ground and attracted quite a few fans. People were there to see the up and coming players and even Shelvey played as he come back from a sending off.

You would think a reserve game, held at the Arena on a Monday night would prove popular, a couple if pound to get and a pint or two would surely make enough to cover any costs.

Would be good to see how the likes of Hanley, Halsall and O'Neil are doing. I know i used to go to Central Park on a Thursday night and watch the reserves, think it was free or maybe i just jumped over the wall.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Levrier wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:54 pm Having a pool of players available if covid strikes would seem a strong reason for having reserves.
It's a strong reason for having a larger pool of players to pick from but if the reserve team has played on the Thursday the players won't be available again that week should they be needed if first team players drop out with covid. I was speculating some clubs might not want reserve fixatures so that would not happen.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

A far better way to spend our limited resources than burn it on a Women's RL team, with apologies to Josie of course.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.