Hatred from Latics fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike1993

Hatred from Latics fans

Post by Mike1993 »

I know this is a strange topic to bring up but have any other fans noticed there seems to have been an increase in hatred comments from Latics fans recently? For example I’ve seen a tweet doing the rounds that features a Wigan Evening Post headline from the late 90’s and some Latics fans have used it as an opportunity to again attack the rugby.

Now I understand why tensions have run high in the past due to Maurice Lindsay’s stupid comments but they just can’t seem to let it go and seem to always be looking for an argument. I have someone who is a Facebook friend and any time I post anything rugby related he always comments to bring it round to Latics and try and start an argument, it’s got to the point now where I ignore his comments.

I have no grudge against Latics, I want to see them do well and if they’d gone bust it would have been a travesty for the town. I’ve even been to the odd few games over the years and enjoyed myself but when they can’t let go of the past it does become tiresome.

I’d be interested to know everybody else’s opinions.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Hatred from Latics fans

Post by Mike »

They're probably miffed we tried to buy the stadium, and now they have a new owner who's talking a tough talk in those negotiations - probably people told him it would get the Latics fans onside quickly if he did that.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It’s always been like that since Springfield park days, they used to sing “we only hate Wigan rugby”. It will never change as they want to be the top team in the town, but as amateur rugby is so big in Wigan, football will never take over. Plus most rugby fans I know follow one of the big teams in Liverpool or Manchester and this also annoys them as they think we should follow the latics.

They have often tried to get fans supporting both teams, but they would be better of having a rugby section in the away end at latics games and vice Versa. Be funny if we all sat in the away end with our shirts on.

Plus we are Wigan and they are the tics.
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:57 pm =Plus most rugby fans I know follow one of the big teams in Liverpool or Manchester and this also annoys them as they think we should follow the latics.
I know this bit to be a fact as I've been on the receiving end of it from Latics fans. I am asked why do I support United when I am from Wigan. Easy, my dad is originally from Manchester and he is a United fan so brought me up to be one and my nan and grandad where huge rugby fans, they had ring side seats at Central Park, and whenever I went round to their house as a kid there would always be rugby on the telly whether that be live games or old videos. So my love of rugby came from there.

I don't even know that many people my age who support Latics as when I was at primary school they where still in League 2 so most people in my class supported United or Liverpool. Some Latics fans just can't seem to grasp that people will have different views to them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I never have,nor will understand their resentment towards the rugby club just seems odd theyve nothing else to worry about.
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:05 am I never have,nor will understand their resentment towards the rugby club just seems odd theyve nothing else to worry about.
I can understand some fans of a certain age being miffed because of what Lindsay said all those years ago but they're acting is though they don't want to forget about the past and want to be angry all the time. I highly doubt in 40 years time we will still be moaning about blue seats at the DW.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Not strictly part of the thread but connected.
It is not right that the greatest name in the game is a tenant where it plays. At one time this would have been unthinkable. The club shop is outside of the stadium. There was talk of changing the Boston stand. Literature I have received has Latics name on it.
I find the situation annoying and upsetting.
Suggestion (tongue in cheek )..build a new stadium where they knock down the galleries
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

An observation from afar:

Here in Leeds, a lot of the Leeds United fans have a grand delusion that their big rivals are Man U. This dates from the days of Revie, Bremner, Hunter and kicking George Best off the park.

They don't seem to realise that for Man U fans, Leeds aren't in the top 50 of their rivals!

My guess is that Leeds rivalries with Sheffield (either), Huddersfield Town, Bradford, never lasted more than a couple of years. They're desperate to have a "big enemy", so despairingly cling on to something that went about 50 years ago.

Now think who Latics fans have . . . Bolton? Blackburn? They're struggling for relevance in a town that the rest of the world associates with rugby. Hence their attempts to create a rivalry.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mike1993

Post by Mike1993 »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:32 pm

Now think who Latics fans have . . . Bolton? Blackburn? They're struggling for relevance in a town that the rest of the world associates with rugby. Hence their attempts to create a rivalry.
I have noticed that some Latics fans seem to switch between saying Bolton or Blackburn are their main rivals. Whereas everyone knows Saints are our main rivals, the Hull sides have each other and United for example have Liverpool which over the last decade or so has become City and Everton have Liverpool for example.

I know feelings run high between both sets of fans but the whole "rivalry" between two different teams in two different sports is something I just cannot get my head around.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:32 pm An observation from afar:

Here in Leeds, a lot of the Leeds United fans have a grand delusion that their big rivals are Man U. This dates from the days of Revie, Bremner, Hunter and kicking George Best off the park.

They don't seem to realise that for Man U fans, Leeds aren't in the top 50 of their rivals!

My guess is that Leeds rivalries with Sheffield (either), Huddersfield Town, Bradford, never lasted more than a couple of years. They're desperate to have a "big enemy", so despairingly cling on to something that went about 50 years ago.

Pretty sure Man U still hate Leeds. The police certainly think so.

Aren't Cardiff and Millwall Wigan's big rivals - thought they were bidding for biggest hooligans at one point?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐