George Williams aims to see out career at Warrington Wolves

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

George Williams aims to see out career at Warrington Wolves

Post by josie andrews »

WHILE refusing to completely rule out a return to the NRL, George Williams says he would like to spend the rest of his playing days with Warrington Wolves.

The England international half-back joined The Wire during the 2021 season after an acrimonious exit from Canberra Raiders, for whom he had spent the previous 18 months playing.

The fall-out from his request for an early release to return to England with his partner Charlotte, who was pregnant at the time with the couple’s first child, played out in public and in the end, Warrington beat former club Wigan to his services.

At 27 years of age, Williams has plenty of years ahead of him and he is happy to spend them at The Halliwell Jones Stadium.

However, he says he would encourage any young player with an opportunity to play in Australia to take it, calling it “the best thing he ever did.”

“I’d never say never but I’m really happy here at Warrington,” he said of a potential NRL return.

“I feel like I’ve found a new home and I’d like to see out the rest of my career here.

Everybody’s different – some lads say they couldn’t be away from home but some are keen to do it.

“I would always say do it as it’s probably the best thing I ever did. As a man more than anything, I grew up.

“I always say to young lads that if they want to do it, have a crack.

“I think more and more will go and I think it’s good for our international game in the long run.

“I was happy to do the three years I signed, but things changed and that wasn’t meant to be.

“I was just happy to challenge myself and I’m so pleased I did do it.”

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... on-wolves/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bill.inger

Re: George Williams aims to see out career at Warrington Wolves

Post by bill.inger »

I can remember Henry Paul saying all the same things, I want to sign for ten years etc etc but he was soon off to Bradford to join his brother. (Who, incidentally was brought over by Wigan as company for Henry).
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

to be fair a bit of a nothing article in the local paper

i'm happy at Wire and want to finish off here. Unlikely to say he's ready to move on already or he hates it at Wire

I made the right decision to go to Oz and would consider it again. He's made some good money from the move and IMO for the right reasons (family) looked to come back home (although the way it was played out in the press may reduce the opportunities if he did want to go to oz again).
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 pm to be fair a bit of a nothing article in the local paper

i'm happy at Wire and want to finish off here. Unlikely to say he's ready to move on already or he hates it at Wire

I made the right decision to go to Oz and would consider it again. He's made some good money from the move and IMO for the right reasons (family) looked to come back home (although the way it was played out in the press may reduce the opportunities if he did want to go to oz again).
I agree,while he was a success over there I doubt he’d be offered another chance because of the way the move home was handled,as for the article a fluff piece saying the right things as for Williams he’s yesterdays news for me good player for sure and oddly I think if he’d have stayed in Australia he could have become a great player but he seems destined to remain between good and great
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

Is there a vomit emoji? We get it, you like being at Wire. :lol: :roll:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:33 pm to be fair a bit of a nothing article in the local paper

I agree,while he was a success over there I doubt he’d be offered another chance because of the way the move home was handled,as for the article a fluff piece saying the right things as for Williams he’s yesterdays news for me good player for sure and oddly I think if he’d have stayed in Australia he could have become a great player but he seems destined to remain between good and great
Powell's teams' halves & 9s have generally been effective, even dominant - Gale, McShane, Richardson. We'll see how he does with George and Widdop . . .
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Powell's teams' halves & 9s have generally been effective, even dominant - Gale, McShane, Richardson. We'll see how he does with George and Widdop . . .
Very true,I really rate Widdop but he’s not dissimilar to Williams fairly quiet it seems to me as you say it’ll be interesting to see how Powell gets on with them,I’ll bet Widdop is on the way by seasons end
pedro

Post by pedro »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Very true,I really rate Widdop but he’s not dissimilar to Williams fairly quiet it seems to me as you say it’ll be interesting to see how Powell gets on with them,I’ll bet Widdop is on the way by seasons end
I think George is far better, a proper kick in the stones
Gaznier

Post by Gaznier »

He'll go to St pats if they offered enough.