Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
saint

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by saint »

I thought it was it was an improved attitude and overall performance from Wigan . Powell was faster and more direct . Much more go forward.

I’m not convinced your pack is strong enough , pace is your assert clearly , however omitting the points which were gifted It would be a much less convincing win . You didn’t create a great deal against let’s be charitable , a poor Hull KR.

Based on that , improved and top 4 but against an organised team you may struggle .
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Cracking game, can,'t really complain about anyone's performance
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

+1
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

saint wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 am I thought it was it was an improved attitude and overall performance from Wigan . Powell was faster and more direct . Much more go forward.

I’m not convinced your pack is strong enough , pace is your assert clearly , however omitting the points which were gifted It would be a much less convincing win . You didn’t create a great deal against let’s be charitable , a poor Hull KR.

Based on that , improved and top 4 but against an organised team you may struggle .
Keep telling yourself as you rock back and forward on your couch. We’re coming to get you.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:04 am
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:01 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:42 pm I know it's VERY early days, is Bibby better suited to his actual 2 rather than playing centre?

Mago 10......looking very solid (first time I've seen him).

Marshall superb! Bit like Dom, overcome injury and always gives 100%!
That offload to Marshall was pure centre play. Not in anyway trying to say Bibby is a better overall player but gildart would have tried to go himself.
It wasn’t an offload. It was a pass. It was the right call for Bibby and it’s obviously pure speculation what Gildart would have done but if he’d gone himself he’d have probably scored anyway because he’s quick and quicker than Bibby.
At the time I thought that Bibby's pass was what any half decent centre would do, at any level, and wondered why the Sky crew thought it worth highlighting. For me, the noteworthy bit for Bibby was being available for Field's pass, and getting to the outside where the Rovers' defence was thin.

JJB twice mentioned "transition" in his questions: maybe he noticed, and identified this as a big change in Wigan's approach?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

saint wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 am I thought it was it was an improved attitude and overall performance from Wigan . Powell was faster and more direct . Much more go forward.

Fair comment.

The key difference in your viewpoint and many of us is "based on that". I for one am not saying that performance showed we'll be challenging for honours. But the reason for the positivity and celebrations even is that it represents a massive step forward from where we were.

It answers many of the questions about a new coaching team, especially regarding their approach (Waneball anybody?).

It also gave us a first look in anger at the new players. And it gives us hope that, if we can improve that much in our first game, there's a realistic chance of further improvement over the season.

Hope springs eternal . . . (speaking on behalf of the Happy Clapper denomination).
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Mmm a Saint fan wants us to stick with Powell???

When French is fit, we can fit everyone into positions they have thrived in before by playing French at 1, Field at 6 and Cust at 9. If we keep going with KPP and Mago’s offload there is your multi point attack right there.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Nothing to complain about makes such a change from last season - oh, except the refereeing, obviously but that was always going to be likely. One thing to note is that the Saints match and ours were refereed in totally different ways. The RFL need to sort things out with consistency of standards.
Thought Marshall was outstanding and Cust's kicking looked different class. Mago shrugged of his two cock-ups and looks very useful, particularly in his ability to keep upright which means a quicker PTB. Don't know about Ellis - he was a bit anonymous. Delighted that we scored a nuts and bolts across the field try which we just couldn't manage last year but this season, we were quicker and more positive.
Heaven knows where we slot in Zak (who was very good last night) and French but Tommy was on his knees at the end and perhaps can't do 80 minutes regularly.
Never saw a replay of Thornley's injury - was it the one that was put on report and if so, why?
Just one tiny irrelevant thing - could the coaching team look a bit more cheerful when we score please? (Removes tongue from cheek.)
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Was a good first outing.

At last we have a half who looks like he can control the park.

Our new forward signings look solid and add weight and size.

Field looks very quick.

Smithies looks to be doing what he did a couple of years ago.

Only downsides are Thornley's injury and Bateman looks off the pace again.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Just watched the Leeds/Warrington game and another different style of refereeing - this time Kendall got it right - made the big decisions and the game was fast and flowing.
One last thought on last night. Watching Hull KR battering the line to no purpose and switching the ball wide to run out of space with our sliding defence reminded me of Wigan last season. Shows where the improvement has come.