JJB

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: JJB

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:18 am Is he now wearing braces? Could explain why he sounds so different
Is he? That could be it. He couldn't form the words properly and the whole thing sounded like one continuous mess.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:32 am
medlocke wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:18 am Is he now wearing braces? Could explain why he sounds so different
Is he? That could be it. He couldn't form the words properly and the whole thing sounded like one continuous mess.
Surely Sky interviewed him and thought can we really have this bloke on tv sounding like he does?

No offence but to anyone tuning in who doesn’t know who he is, what are they going to think?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's not his diction that I minded but his hopeless questions. I thought Jenna Brooks was vacuous but JJB has set a new low. They both know about RL but don't seem to know how to talk about it.
Thought he fitted in nicely with Sky's coverage which badly needs a makeover.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 am It's not his diction that I minded but his hopeless questions. I thought Jenna Brooks was vacuous but JJB has set a new low. They both know about RL but don't seem to know how to talk about it.
Can't agree about "hopeless questions": he tried twice to raise Wigan's transition, which I thought was a key difference to how we played last year. Neither Field nor (other?), picked up on it, falling back on bland stock answers - hardly JJB's fault. (Not blaming Field btw, a player can't be judged on how good he is at interviews.)

I do think Jamie's diction needs working on, slowing down would help. But his knowledge/understanding as well as enthusiasm and personality are surely enough to warrant us giving him a few more weeks before he joins all the others on the naughty step?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

He is a great bloke yes however, his voice last night was awful, really poor to the point it was difficult to understand him

I've seen previous interviews with him and he is speaking very clearly, I think the braces on his teeth may well be part of the issue but it's not great for our sport when you've got JJb unable to speak clearly

The channel 4 commentary and presentation today was so much better than what sky is currently offering
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

He sounded like Sam Dingle from emmerdale
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:21 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:54 am It's not his diction that I minded but his hopeless questions. I thought Jenna Brooks was vacuous but JJB has set a new low. They both know about RL but don't seem to know how to talk about it.
Can't agree about "hopeless questions": he tried twice to raise Wigan's transition, which I thought was a key difference to how we played last year. Neither Field nor (other?), picked up on it, falling back on bland stock answers - hardly JJB's fault. (Not blaming Field btw, a player can't be judged on how good he is at interviews.)

I do think Jamie's diction needs working on, slowing down would help. But his knowledge/understanding as well as enthusiasm and personality are surely enough to warrant us giving him a few more weeks before he joins all the others on the naughty step?
I'm with you Morley. At least give the bloke a chance. I thought he did okay for first time.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

No. He’s always sounded like that
endoman

Post by endoman »

A few days of proper media training, listening to himself back on video, with constructive criticism would make a huge difference. Or maybe that's been been and that's what you get. Made a big difference to me when I had professional training and criticism.

Should be something all academy players have to do, and from people outside of the M62 corridor.

I still get ribbed for for my accent, but can speak to big audiences all over the world without having to totally lose the accent. ( I'm proud of my roots and accent) Would help RL in general if we just had people who are easily understandable. Sam was great today on C4,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:41 pm
No. He’s always sounded like that
He wasn't as bad as that before, sure I saw braces on him