JJB

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: JJB

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Amor was good on Channel 4 today.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:18 am Amor was good on Channel 4 today.
"Absolutely" :D
PJC

Post by PJC »

Channel 4s coverage was refreshing. No heavy statistical analysis, no negativity. Enjoyed doing their job
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Difficult to understand JJB and crowd noises in the background make it even harder, players being interviewed must of really struggled.
On C4, I only caught the coverage just as the final whistle blew but I thought Adam Hill struggled a bit at times with links to items, it seemed as though some of it was off the cuff, Sam did will in helping the summarising at the end.
Welski

Post by Welski »

I agree Definitely wearing braces. Bizarre to have a summariser on with his ability to speak deliberately compromised. Bit like having someone doing sign language with mittens on.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Welski wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:28 pm I agree Definitely wearing braces. Bizarre to have a summariser on with his ability to speak deliberately compromised. Bit like having someone doing sign language with mittens on.
He's always been a bit difficult to understand for me. If he's got worse then we're in trouble!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Could it be that the brace* he is using is to help make his speech clearer in the long term?

Whatever the answer, I think the main problems are that he talks too fast, his Leeds accent, and the crowd noise, which stopped me hearing much of the commentary (hearing problems anyway - switch stuff off that has music in the background).

I'm sure C4 will sort the crowd noise issue - it certainly won't be a problem if they come to Wigan! JJB will also be coached to slow down and enunciate more clearly. The Leeds twang would then become less of an issue.

Give him a chance - he's a good bloke and knows his stuff.

Wilkin is admittedly much clearer but seems to love himself, and JJB is more likely to come up with something informative than Clarke, Tez or Baz.

While we're on the subject, Bill Arthur couldn't decide if it was Field or Fields, and O'Connor constantly Said "Ghee-zhow" when it's pronounced "Zhee-gow" - not a big deal for you or me, but a commentator is paid plenty and should know.

*Brace is British English for something on your teeth, braces hold your pants up :lol:

Americans use braces and suspenders.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Love JJB's passion for the game and I can't recall having too much trouble understanding him before, I'll put it down to the cold weather in East Hull and wind coming off the North Sea (next stop - the North Pole :) )
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am Could it be that the brace* he is using is to help make his speech clearer in the long term?

Whatever the answer, I think the main problems are that he talks too fast, his Leeds accent, and the crowd noise, which stopped me hearing much of the commentary (hearing problems anyway - switch stuff off that has music in the background).

I'm sure C4 will sort the crowd noise issue - it certainly won't be a problem if they come to Wigan! JJB will also be coached to slow down and enunciate more clearly. The Leeds twang would then become less of an issue.

Give him a chance - he's a good bloke and knows his stuff.

Wilkin is admittedly much clearer but seems to love himself, and JJB is more likely to come up with something informative than Clarke, Tez or Baz.

While we're on the subject, Bill Arthur couldn't decide if it was Field or Fields, and O'Connor constantly Said "Ghee-zhow" when it's pronounced "Zhee-gow" - not a big deal for you or me, but a commentator is paid plenty and should know.

*Brace is British English for something on your teeth, braces hold your pants up :lol:

Which player was this Morley? 🤔 I’ve said it to myself several times but still don’t know who/what it is 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Welski

Post by Welski »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am

Braces is the plural of brace in English. It appeared to me that he had a brace on both upper and lower sets of teeth hence braces😉.

If he had braces in his mouth, as in suspenders, he did a damn fine job of articulating his thoughts.

Ps not having a go at him just think it’s odd that a TV company wouldn’t do sound checks to ensure that a guest could be heard clearly whatever the reason.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League