JJB

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: JJB

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:59 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am Could it be that the brace* he is using is to help make his speech clearer in the long term?

Whatever the answer, I think the main problems are that he talks too fast, his Leeds accent, and the crowd noise, which stopped me hearing much of the commentary (hearing problems anyway - switch stuff off that has music in the background).

I'm sure C4 will sort the crowd noise issue - it certainly won't be a problem if they come to Wigan! JJB will also be coached to slow down and enunciate more clearly. The Leeds twang would then become less of an issue.

Give him a chance - he's a good bloke and knows his stuff.

Wilkin is admittedly much clearer but seems to love himself, and JJB is more likely to come up with something informative than Clarke, Tez or Baz.

While we're on the subject, Bill Arthur couldn't decide if it was Field or Fields, and O'Connor constantly Said "Ghee-zhow" when it's pronounced "Zhee-gow" - not a big deal for you or me, but a commentator is paid plenty and should know.

*Brace is British English for something on your teeth, braces hold your pants up :lol:

Americans use braces and suspenders.
Which player was this Morley? 🤔 I’ve said it to myself several times but still don’t know who/what it is 😳
Gigot
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Welski wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am

*Brace is British English for something on your teeth, braces hold your pants up :lol:

Braces is the plural of brace in English. It appeared to me that he had a brace on both upper and lower sets of teeth hence braces😉.

If he had braces in his mouth, as in suspenders, he did a damn fine job of articulating his thoughts.

Ps not having a go at him just think it’s odd that a TV company wouldn’t do sound checks to ensure that a guest could be heard clearly whatever the reason.
Sorry! I stand corrected.

The yanks say "braces" for a single one, so I wrongly assumed it was an Americanism.

At 70 years old, I'm well into the "grumpy old man" phase, and have a bee in my bonnet about Americanisms used in Britain. Irritating smiley sales people stop me and Mrs Morley on the street with "Hi guys!". I point out that we're British and she is a woman.

"Under the hood" - bonnet.
"Gas" - petrol.
"Airplane" - aeroplane.

I think you get the picture. My grandkids are trained to speak proper (northern) English when they come to our house - they have dinner at dinner time and tea at tea time, at home it's lunch and dinner :roll:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Welski

Post by Welski »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:35 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:25 am

Braces is the plural of brace in English. It appeared to me that he had a brace on both upper and lower sets of teeth hence braces😉.

If he had braces in his mouth, as in suspenders, he did a damn fine job of articulating his thoughts.

Ps not having a go at him just think it’s odd that a TV company wouldn’t do sound checks to ensure that a guest could be heard clearly whatever the reason.

The yanks say "braces" for a single one, so I wrongly assumed it was an Americanism.

At 70 years old, I'm well into the "grumpy old man" phase, and have a bee in my bonnet about Americanisms used in Britain. Irritating smiley sales people stop me and Mrs Morley on the street with "Hi guys!". I point out that we're British and she is a woman.

"Gas" - petrol.
"Airplane" - aeroplane.

I think you get the picture. My grandkids are trained to speak proper (northern) English when they come to our house - they have dinner at dinner time and tea at tea time, at home it's lunch and dinner :roll:
Sir, you are a man after one’s own heart! Never apologise for pointing out the correct use of our wonderful language. In the right hands, it’s a joy to behold.

I too am somewhat of a pedant, although prone to the occasional gaff myself. I would say however that as an Essex boy of some 54 years I’m not sure I would consider northern English to be proper, cor blimey know what I mean guv’nor? 😉
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Won't someone give JJB a break instead of slating the lad. He's had twenty years of sticking his head where the majority of us would never go near. How many smashed noses and broken jaws, black eyes and cracked cheekbones has he had? He comes over as a pleasant and knowledgeable pundit plus he's entertaining which in more than can be said for the majority of RL commentators we have to endure.
Welski

Post by Welski »

bill.inger wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:40 pm Won't someone give JJB a break instead of slating the lad. He's had twenty years of sticking his head where the majority of us would never go near. How many smashed noses and broken jaws, black eyes and cracked cheekbones has he had? He comes over as a pleasant and knowledgeable pundit plus he's entertaining which in more than can be said for the majority of RL commentators we have to endure.
I agree, his comments are on the whole well made. I think the majority of posts were about the inability to hear his views in this instance (mine were anyway) and the odd reason why the TV sound people didn’t sort something rather than the views/person themselves
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
morley pie eater

Welski wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:51 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:35 am

"Gas" - petrol.
"Airplane" - aeroplane.

Sir, you are a man after one’s own heart! Never apologise for pointing out the correct use of our wonderful language. In the right hands, it’s a joy to behold.

I too am somewhat of a pedant, although prone to the occasional gaff myself. I would say however that as an Essex boy of some 54 years I’m not sure I would consider northern English to be proper, cor blimey know what I mean guv’nor? 😉
:lol:
Gotcha. I would of wrote the same fing if I'd known you were from dahn sarf.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

My fear is that people from outside the north west and Yorkshire either won’t understand him or be turned off by the accent.

If the sport wants to grow outside of the m62 corridor then you need people representing from outside of it.

I cast my mind back to when Jason Robinson was on, just the way he looked, the way he spoke, the things he said transformed the rugby pre / post rugby.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

bill.inger wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:40 pm Won't someone give JJB a break instead of slating the lad. He's had twenty years of sticking his head where the majority of us would never go near. How many smashed noses and broken jaws, black eyes and cracked cheekbones has he had? He comes over as a pleasant and knowledgeable pundit plus he's entertaining which in more than can be said for the majority of RL commentators we have to endure.
Good post,i can understand him and i think hes far better to listen to than the regular Sky team.I was amazed at Phil Clarkes comment about Johnny Whiteley when he said he was surprised at his communication skills considering he had not been to University.Are we all thick that have not been to Uni? What an insulting thing to say.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

On Sky Sports tonight, Jamie Jones-Buchanan explained he had major facial surgery late last year to repair some old injuries...

🤣 "That's why I sound and look like I've got my car keys in my mouth!"

👏 Never change, JJB!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

josie andrews wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:55 pm
On Sky Sports tonight, Jamie Jones-Buchanan explained he had major facial surgery late last year to repair some old injuries...

🤣 "That's why I sound and look like I've got my car keys in my mouth!"

👏 Never change, JJB!
It has to be said that the facial surgery hasn't improved his looks 😂😂😂
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐