Wigan vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Wigan vs Leeds

Post by Flash »

moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:04 am I don't know if this strikes a chord with any one else, but I remember the dog days under Lam when a bad result on a Friday night seemed to put a damper on the whole weekend; it was what every one was moaning about it the pub on Saturday, etc. (and, to be fair, that happened a few times in the Wane era too. Difference was, then there was a realistic hope that it would be better next week, and it often was).

Whereas this weekend, I feel like I've been walking around with a stupid grin on my face most of the time! :D

Still much to be done, for sure. But we couldn't ask for a much better start.
Couldn't have put it better mate. I'd almost forgotten how an entertaining win and a team to be proud of like we've had these last couple of weeks can set you up for the weekend! Long may it continue :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:29 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:45 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:27 am

Are you for real Meds? Powell is completely different to how he played under Lam! Hard working for 80 minutes every game. And gave us two incredible tries 😊
He was on the spot for his tries but to say his play is completely different than under Lam is an exaggeration. He still doesn’t take the line on with a run from AHB and he still hesitates when he passes the ball. He did it several times last night where he made the move to ball with his arms, didn’t and then did it again to pass. No idea why he did that. I suppose it’s an improvement over last season where he dummied the other direction that fooled no one but fundamentally his limitations are still there. Leeds hooker was more of a threat in the first half by some distance.
But Leeds lost,badly.

While I do love a hooker in the mould of a Roby (for instance)Powell does what is asked of him by the coaches and it seems to me if he’s given concise clear instructions he will do the job they want of him,quite what was going on last season is anyones guess frankly but on the (small evidence) of a couple of games he’s back doing what they want him to do and if it produces more of the same then it’s time to accept the limitations of him and also accept for the greater good of the team him being there works.
Yes Leeds got well beat but despite that Leeming was still far better than Powell playing in a beaten team.

I also don’t think successive coaches have given Powell clear instructions not to have a run from AHB or to offer such poor distribution. I think saying this is what they want him to do is just another excuse for the fact he’s poor. It stands out even more when those around him look far sharper than last season already. I don’t think I have seen one game where he has ever outplayed his opposite number

I don’t see why we need to accept it either. Give O’Neil a run. I’d like to see what he could do with our improved pack and we definitely don’t need to accept it longer than this season. Contract is up and they should let him go. Like Exiled though, I expect him to get a long term deal and he does not warrant it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Flash wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:49 am
moto748 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:04 am I don't know if this strikes a chord with any one else, but I remember the dog days under Lam when a bad result on a Friday night seemed to put a damper on the whole weekend; it was what every one was moaning about it the pub on Saturday, etc. (and, to be fair, that happened a few times in the Wane era too. Difference was, then there was a realistic hope that it would be better next week, and it often was).

Whereas this weekend, I feel like I've been walking around with a stupid grin on my face most of the time! :D

Couldn't have put it better mate. I'd almost forgotten how an entertaining win and a team to be proud of like we've had these last couple of weeks can set you up for the weekend! Long may it continue :D
I think this is true. The other difference is when at the game and we were attacking in their half I thought we stood a chance of scoring. Last season whenever the ball got into the 22 I never thought we would and that happened twice against Leeds where we were billed at home.

There was a lot more movement and variations and they looked a lot more confident. So part of the good feeling following the game is not just that we won but that the play that won us the game was good play. In the recent past we might stick a few points on a poor team but we were not convincing so then you would have discussions on here with some saying how great we were and others pointing out we still didn’t look the real deal despite winning.

It’s only two games but I don’t think I have been more optimistic since Madge arrived. I am not saying we are going to be as good a team as the one in that era but it already looks potentially better than what happened after he left as even when winning under Wane it could be dour. This team can defend like we are accustomed to but has already delivered more excitement in two games than for a long time.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree with DaveO!

In the two games played so far, I think Powell looks slightly more confident and comfortable at 9 (simply because he isn't a 7).

I've never thought Powell is s*ite, but like DaveO, I've never looked at an opposing 9 and thought Powell will dominate today.

He does have strong games but for me, I want a 9 who consistently offers it week in week out. To me, at best, Powell looks like a average player in a good team!

O'Neil if anything needs to play to challenge Powell and possibly influence his style?
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can't help feeling that we'd really benefit from being able to make quick yards from acting half as we've seen players like Leeming and Clarke do. For the teams that can do it it seems to be the easiest way of putting the defence on the back foot and getting the attack moving. If O'Neil can provide this from the bench this gives the team more flexibility and would reduce the wear and tear on Powell who can't be expected to play 80 mins every week. I realise that we lose a fourth 'forward' on the bench by playing O'Neil but it does also reduce the negative effect if Sam or Tommy getting injured during the match.
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:22 pm
Flash wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:49 am

I think this is true. The other difference is when at the game and we were attacking in their half I thought we stood a chance of scoring. Last season whenever the ball got into the 22 I never thought we would and that happened twice against Leeds where we were billed at home.

There was a lot more movement and variations and they looked a lot more confident. So part of the good feeling following the game is not just that we won but that the play that won us the game was good play. In the recent past we might stick a few points on a poor team but we were not convincing so then you would have discussions on here with some saying how great we were and others pointing out we still didn’t look the real deal despite winning.

It’s only two games but I don’t think I have been more optimistic since Madge arrived. I am not saying we are going to be as good a team as the one in that era but it already looks potentially better than what happened after he left as even when winning under Wane it could be dour. This team can defend like we are accustomed to but has already delivered more excitement in two games than for a long time.
I do think we need to temper our expectation a little as the improvement from last season in particular is vast. Things will not always be perfect but as long as we continue with the energy, appetite and approach that we've seen in the first 2 games and preseason I think we'll have more "smile on our faces" weekends than not.

I'm also looking for signs that we're regarding this as a platform to build from in coming seasons. The right retention/recruitment this year will put us back on top next year for sure.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I agree with most posts on here about Powell. Without pulling the lad to pieces, I do like the look of O'Neill more, who I'd say offers more subtlety with his distribution and variety going forward as an attacking threat. I'd say also that under Peet, Powell is definitely improved so far in his 9 role, and is probably conceding fewer penalties than of recent times which is backing up his improved form as we are not giving possession away cheaply.
We need though to give O'Neill his opportunities but how difficult will it be with Powell's 2 tries in his last game, or is that irrelevant. Not a bad dilemna to have but I'd think it's an issue the coaching staff are working on.
As for the team in general, in a salary capped sport, we do now seem to have a really good balance between attack and defence with a 100% improved spectacle to show for it, that will surely help to put more bums on seats.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It seems to me that Powell is untouchable, and I am sure we all agree that they will shortly announce a new long term deal for him, which will make his fan club delighted. Faced with a fully fit squad, my spine would comprise Field, French, Cust, Shorrocks and Leuluai at 9 - with O’Neil and Smith next in line. With Bateman, KPP and Mago offloading we would have attacking threats all over the pitch. But I may as well wish I could fly. Orville will take to the air before Powell gets dropped.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:00 pm It seems to me that Powell is untouchable, and I am sure we all agree that they will shortly announce a new long term deal for him, which will make his fan club delighted. Faced with a fully fit squad, my spine would comprise Field, French, Cust, Shorrocks and Leuluai at 9 - with O’Neil and Smith next in line. With Bateman, KPP and Mago offloading we would have attacking threats all over the pitch. But I may as well wish I could fly. Orville will take to the air before Powell gets dropped.
Shorrocks at 7? He’s the loose forward we are dying for!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Powell does seem untouchable. Also people keep making excuses for his failings, which I find baffling.
O’Neil needs to get the nod some games surely, you will then see our go forward better with O’Neil running from attacking to catch the defence off guard